3dfilaprint filament

euan

Posted · 3dfilaprint filament

Has anyone used 3mm pla from 3dfilaprint with there Ultimaker?

I'm trying to find a reliable and consistent source in the UK and came across there website.

I have seen other threads where users are highly complimentary of faberdashery filament, however I'm not keen on having to wind it onto a spool myself in case it ends up tangled and jams the printer.

I have sent them a mail asking for more info, the data sheets on there site say it is 3mm +/- 0.1 not the 2.85 were used too.

There only down the road to me Southend-on-sea

The name on the data sheets is REPREPER TECH CO., LIMITED which looks like a Hong Kong supplier

http://3dfilaprint.com/pla-data-information-sheets/

I also sent them a message this morning, no reply yet...

Does anyone stock the Ultimaker PLA in the UK? I've been very pleased with what came with the printer and would be happy to keep using it.

All I CAN say is that they are very helpful. I used them recently to buy some Taulman Nylon filaments. I had a particular question and they contacted Taulman in the States and got back to me the following day with a tele call.

Not finding an obvious supplier in the UK I decided to try an "experimental" order from Ultimaker themselves. I have to tell you that I'm extremely disappointed - the experience has been entirely slipshod and amateurish (*)... what size of company is Ultimaker anyway?

(*) To be specific :-

• [*]I checked through the online store, and found very limited stocks of "plain" PLA and only one ABS. I didn't want to wait for the March ETA for more stock (this was mid Feb, and I was quickly using up my one bundled reel of PLA), so I ordered what I could: black PLA, white PLA and the one ABS option.

[*]I got a quick email acknowledging the order and referring me to the attached invoice. There was no attachment. I brought this to the company's attention and got a "how unfortunate" message... The same email had promised that a despatch notice and tracking info would follow.

[*]About a week later I noticed that I still hadn't received the despatch notice. I asked for an update and got another "how unfortunate" message, and a promise to look into it.

[*]About a week after that still had no despatch notice, and no reply to my query. I emailed again, asking for concrete info this time - no more platitudes! That was last Thursday. No response so far (Monday).

[*]Today I cancelled the order. No response so far.

I have to say that this is the sort of incompetent processes I expect from one guy working out of his garage, not a professional business. Does anybody know if Colorfabb have their act together any better?

Hi Don

I have ordered direct from colorfabbs and have not had any issues its normally with me about 3/4 days after order, Imaker here in the UK have started to sell colorfabbs filament too but a little bit dearer but you do get it next day deliver if you order early enough...

Actually, in the time since I made that last post I turned up a UK site called Spectrum Filament who claim to manufacture their own filament, the specs look right and there's a good colour range. Downside: only PLA at the moment (though with a plasticiser, so not as brittle as pure PLA). I've just ordered a small range of colours, I'll report back with how I get on.

Don

Good find look forward to your results,

3dfilaprint got in touch with me last Friday and they are sending me some stuff to test for them so i can post my findings into there database for future ultimaker customers, not sure how this will turn out as they are only supplying 1m lengths. but hay its free so cant moan. i will post my results here when i get it....

nice find Don, pretty cheap too considering it comes spooled and with a storage box. Worth a punt!

Colorfabb no different from the UK in terms of delivery time - delivery cost pretty comparable too. Buy Faberdashery in 50m lengths and lay it on the floor

My issue with Ultimaker was not delivery time, it was failure to keep me informed. I'll happily (well ok, maybe not happily) wait 4 weeks if I'm told up front to expect that. But, when it's all one black hole of vagueness and my emails get no answer... that's when I get pissed off.

So far my experience with Faberdashery has been top notch.

The Ultimaker Stores sales unit continues to confound me. Yesterday I emailed them again, asking them to confirm that they had cancelled my order since I'm going to be buying from Spectrum from now on. Today... they sent me a despatch email. D'oh!

This is hopeless incompetence. I'm really glad that I bought my UM2 from a UK agent, I certainly will not attempt buying anything directly from Ultimaker again.

On the totally opposite end of the competance spectrum (pardon the pun), I got an email from Spectrum Filaments today apologising for not being able to ship my order right away (that would be the order I made on Monday!). And in compensation they're sending me a complementary selection of four free filaments!! Now obviously they can't do this for everyone or they'd go bust - and for all I know they'll turn out to be 1 metre of each. :) They are aware that I communicate my findings on forums such as these and clearly want to establish a reputation for quality and caring for their customers. All that is understood... but the comparison with my Ultimaker Store experience is still quite stark. And in fact they had gotten in touch to explain the delay and suggest alternatives before they knew anything about me. No question who I'll be using in future. I expect to post about the filament itself next week.

Nope, haven't ordered there yet Euan. My current UK 3D printing supplier is 3d2print.net. They are consistent in supplying quality filament materials in my projects--be it wholesale or retail. To cut some filament cost, I avail their saver pack deals such as PLA Saver Pack – Big Boy 8 spools for only €201,24.

I also sent them a message this morning, no reply yet...

Does anyone stock the Ultimaker PLA in the UK? I've been very pleased with what came with the printer and would be happy to keep using it.

Nope, haven't ordered there yet Euan. My current UK 3D printing supplier is 3d2print.net. They are consistent in supplying quality filament materials in my projects--be it wholesale or retail. To cut some filament cost, I avail their saver pack deals such as PLA Saver Pack – Big Boy 8 spools for only €201,24.

I've looked at the 3d2print website before. They seem to sell 1.75mm filament exclusively?

Btw, two reels (of three ordered) of filament from Ultimaker arrived here on Friday. It seems to have made good time once it was actually shipped. The problem seems to be that the website doesn't accurately reflect stock. To protect the companies image that needs to be fixed, and communications could be improved too. Happily this order includes the first reel of ABS that fits my printer, as I'm keen to have a go with ABS.

No sign of anything from Spectrum yet, though it's possible I misunderstood what he was saying about delays.

So far my experience with Faberdashery has been top notch.

Ive literally just got mine through, bought 100m of black and got what looks to be about 10m of gold free. It came in 2 days and cannot fault it one bit