Failed to import profile (Cura v5.2.1)

MirageIIIRS

Posted · Failed to import profile (Cura v5.2.1)

Dear all

I’m new to the 3D printing world, but have successfully used Cura v5.2.1 so far for printing a few mechanical parts on my “Anycubic Kobra” 3D printer.

Now I’d like to utilize for example the “Kobra PROFILE 5-LW.curaprofile” from Planeprint to create lightweight wings for RC-gliders. So I’ve tried to import a series of Planeprint’s Cura v5.2 profiles and I’m failing always with the error message:

“Failed to import profile from c:/users/…./ Kobra PROFILE 5-LW.curaprofile: Quality type ‘draft’ is not compatible with the current active machine definition “anycubic_kobra’.” (please attachement Plane-Print_Profile-Import-Error_2023-01-10_19-15-26.jpg

Following some advice from various forums I’ve tried to amend the file “Kobra PROFILE 5-LW.curaprofile” with Visual Studio Code to amend the value “quality_type =normal”  to “standard” within the section [metadata]. Unfortunately, w/o success.

What am I missing?

Your help upfront would be highly appreciated.

Best regards, MirageIIIRS

Plane-Print_Profile-Import-Error_2023-01-10_19-15-26.jpg

Kobra PROFILE 5-LW.curaprofile

I've given up on profiles.  I've had better luck with project ilfes.  Ask the person who created the cura profile to instead create a project file.  It doesn't need to have any objects loaded.  that will save the machine settings, profiles, and cura settings overridden.  Tell them to do "file" "save project..." and send you the resulting file.

I'm guessing they have a different machine profile loaded than you do.  With the project file, the machine profile is included inside.  

Dear gr5

Thank you very much for outlining a potential solution for this issue I'm facing. I've reached out to the vendor, trying to obtain s sourcefile based on the "project" approach. I'm gonna test it ASAP I'll have those files.

Best regards, MirageIIIRS

I had this exact same problem. I solved it by creating a new Custom Printer from scratch using the same settings as the existing Anycubic Kobra printer. First, copy or note all the Kobra machine and g-code settings. Next, create a new printer. 

1. Add a non-networked printer

2. Select "Custom FFF Printer" 

3. in Machine Settings, enter the standard Kobra machine and extruder settings, start/end gcode, and hit next.

4. Rename the printer (e.g. Kobra Airplane) and import the Planeprint custom Kobra profiles. 

5. Double check the machine and extruder settings, gcode and material information.

6. Run a test print. 

That's it! Here's a photo of the "WINGTEST_P3 PLA_Planeprint" printed with the "KOBRA_Profile 3" with Cura 5.2.1. No changes to the profile settings. Polymaker Polyterra PLA Gray 1.75mm.  Not bad for a first print.

I recently found this thread looking for a fix to this problem, so I hope this helps somebody. 

planeprint-kobra.thumb.jpg.a22e70303a112d7ffaf03b9bbd58c71d.jpg

If you cannot import the Profile it's because your printer does not have the defined quality type existing in the profile. 

A solution is to edit the profile by opening the curaprofile ( it's a zip file ) 

image.png.056ea1421b0e0e859f19416de480d994.png

And by editing the Quality files which are text files.

image.png.f4e7747bafb8531da042ec58999869b8.png

Replace quality_type = normal   by = standard or one of the quality types of your printer.

Some plugin can also help you. But you should keep in mind that a profile represents only a limited number of parameters, so a profile defined for a printer used on an other printer doesn't have really signification.

Posted (edited) · Failed to import profile (Cura v5.2.1)

Interesting and perhaps a fix to another issue I had.

The Anycubic Kobra printer preset in the "Non-Networked Printers" list only includes three print profiles with names like "Suggested parameters for PLA_V1.0.curaprofile". One profile for PLA, one for TPU, and one for ABS. These also come with the printer on the SD card. There are no default quality types in that printer preset. 

However, when I created the custom Kobra printer, Cura generated seven quality types. Extra Fine, Fine, Normal etc. So making a custom Kobra printer and importing the Planeprint profiles solved two problems in my case. I also imported the Anycubic "suggested parameters" profiles from the SD card as custom profiles. Bonus! 😀

Edited by Rustaxis
    extra space

There is no rule to define the qualities, but globally what we find most generally is (basic quality of a general FDM printer in Cura) :

quality_type = high
    quality_type = fast
    quality_type = normal

quality_type = draft

quality_type = coarse

quality_type = extra coarse

Actualy if a printer does not have a basic profile with a quality announced then the import of profile does not work (in the current case of the code of Cura).

Note  :  that Ultimaker has also had fun creating qualities that come out of a "standard" with some machines quality :

quality_type = extracoarse
    quality_type = slightlycoarse
    quality_type = superdraft

quality_type = verydraft

And then we have all those who have invented qualities that penalize the exchanges . Clearly the one who made the Anycubic Kobra configuration with its PLA, ABS etc qualities. had not understood anything and then penalizes the users of these machines.

The other case is for Creality machines. It is a very popular printer and many profiles are based on this config, unfortunately at the time of the update of these profiles by the author of something call the CreawsomeMod the qualities defined were :

quality_type = super
    quality_type = ultra
    quality_type = standard
    quality_type = adaptive

quality_type = low

This leads to most of the current problems since there is no correspondence between these names and the standard qualities.   Changing these values in the current settings would not solve anything on the contrary since all user profiles would become invalid for these machines.   

Edited by Cuq

Just for fun I have made a quick chart of the existing "Quality" in Cura 5.3.

image.thumb.png.a39cf6ecdc205636ffb79f955a0726b1.png

Edited by Cuq
    • Like 1

Thanks for this.  It certainly explains the cryptic "not supported" note that comes up when attempting to make nozzle (and some other) changes for certain printers.

In 1st Place I have "Normal Advanced" with "Slightly Coarse" as a close second.

"Basic Advanced" would be the best.  I love a good oxymoron.

Yes You can have the same issue for the same printer. If you take the example of the Ender-3  the Qualities defined for this machine are based on the Nozzle Size. As you can have a nozzle from 0.2 to 1 mm  a profile define for one nozzle is not necessary compatible with an other nozzle and it's not a question of Nozzle_Size but only of quality avalable for a Configuration Ie

Nozzle 0.2

quality_type = ultra

quality_type = super

Nozzle 0.4

quality_type = super
    quality_type = adaptive

quality_type = standard

quality_type = low

Nozzle 1.0

quality_type = draft

So a profile define for the 0.4 cannot be used or even imported for a 1mm nozzle

image.thumb.png.c3ab3edaf2eee27ca2f318d541cf628c.png

Ow. That chart makes my head hurt. 😀

That Ender mod setup suggests saving retraction and temperature settings in materials instead of print settings and it was my understanding nozzle size was set in machine settings. The settings guide is very helpful, but is there a flowchart or documentation that explains how the machine, material, quality and print settings interact, override, and effect each other? Too many variables in too many different places make consistency elusive. @GregValiant - Slightly Coarse! Ha ha ha. How about Ultra Standard Adaptive - 0.4 Low

Edited by Rustaxis

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings

And you can use the Profile analyser plugin to analyse how the settings are defined and at witch level in your current configuration

Edited by Cuq