problem printing colorfabb PLA

braddock

Posted · problem printing colorfabb PLA

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did some measurements of the filament - 2.78-2.86 at several places. HOWEVER - there was one severe thickening at one place, way above 3mm. I did not measure it back then, but it was big, like a bubble. Probably, this is the reason of my recent troubles.

Right now, there's filament firmly stuck in the Bowden tube, I have no clue how to pull it out. The free end left sticks only a few mm out of one end, and on the other side of the tube, about 5 mm inside, flattened filament is dead into the tube's plastic, because the filament now is way beyond the internal tube's diameter. How to get it out? Can the tube be shortened by about 5 mm?

I'm too tired this evening to think productively...

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update.

Being really unwilling to harm the hardware, I was finally able to remove the stuck piece of the filament with awl, pliers, brute force and the help of my belowed wife who held one pice of the tube and gave me the winning idea at the first place.

I really appreciate all your advices, they hopefully made me a bit smarter.

yellowshark - should Colorfabb be notified about the problematic filament? If it would help them to improve the production, then of course, I'm willing to help.

I had a problem yesterday with black colorfabb filament.

I changed filament and put the black i already used once. Tried to print nothing came out.

Tried to or three times still nothing, smelt burned plastics. Some fumes came out. I thought i had my first clogged nozzle.

So changed the filament back and when it came out it was all grinded at on place so it was the cause of the non extruding filament, it wasn't able to be pulled up.

I just cut the filament and it worked good again.

When you change to you throw away the filament that has already passed through the feeder?

Not sure I understand the last question. But when I change filament, I just cut about 10mm below the melted tip and later reuse the filament where it was cut off before.

Hi Shurik,

I am not sure of the precise details and how strongly you feel that the filament caused your problem but here are two scenarios.

1st scenario. You have not used the reel before. You got a blockage. Checking a few feet of filament you have a large bulge. Can you check more of the filament, say 10-15 metres. You find more bulges.

Is it possible to get a photo of the bulge that resolves well enough to show the problem?

If you have lots of bulges I would certainly email Colorfabb, not only to help them but to try and get a reel of duff filament replaced

2nd scenario

Maybe you have used the filament before quite few times. You get a blockage. Measuring some of the filament it seems OK then you see the bulge. Checking more filament you see no problems.

In this case I think it is difficult to assess whether the filament caused the blockage. I think if I could get a decent photo then I would certainly email Colorfabb for their help and comment. You can be cool about it and just ask them if bulges this size are a common occurrence.

Not sure I understand the last question. But when I change filament, I just cut about 10mm below the melted tip and later reuse the filament where it was cut off before.

Yes that's what i do to. I was wondering because the filament that passes through the feeder is a bit grinded so i guess that a second pass could weaken it a bit and cause some slips

Well I guess it depends on how grinded the filament is but it is not something I have ever experienced. Also now I tend to print a test cube after a filament change just to satisfy myself that everything is fine before starting the job.

Same here. The light grinding has not been a problem until now.

Also after changing filament I print one of those filament clips (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:282242). They are quick to print (3-5 minutes) and useful to get the old filament out.

By the way, I am looking for a new tiny model (also in the range of 5 minutes print time) that'll look nice with different color gradients when changing filament. Any (cool) ideas?

just reporting strong problems to print with dutch organge colorfabb...

it is very sensible to settings!!.... and i found a small area with very small diameter :shock:

Well I have had more problems with their filament this year than I did last year. I know they changed their filament mix, was it earlier this year or late last year. Maybe that has led to some quality control issues? Having said that. I received a new reel of Dutch Orange several weeks ago and I have been using that with no problem. But a reel of Blue-grey under-extruded and then jammed the extruder assembly yesterday. But I was getting to the end of the reel where you are likely to get more kinks and I suspect it was that.

I just received my order for more Colorfabb filaments

20140514 174656

20140514 175510

I tested the shining grey yesterday, good results.

Will test the woodfill fine this weekend can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm really happy with colorfabb filaments, i have no problems at all with it and it's very consistent in size (for the 3 colors i already tested).

Most PLA blends differ from batch to batch. Colorfabb for instance made some changes in their PLA/PHA mixture recently. If I would have written a guide last year it would be wrong by now.

There are "tutorials" on their website:

http://learn.colorfabb.com/

From my experience i use a temp between 190°c and 230°c depending on the speed and layer height. Nothing really special about their filaments.

I am soon giving up with colorfabb, it's almost pure science to get the printing to work. I have tried for about 3 weeks with all the possible setting variations and still not happy. I can get small simple prints to print ok speed 20, temp 175, diameter calibrated, flow calculated etc.. But with the same settings a little larger and with 45 angle fails. Layers dont stick, holes appear etc.

With higher speed 50, temp 220 I almost get a decent print with one color but it has holes and layer connectivity issues. I truly hope I can work this out but Im starting to tjonk that the quality of the filament is not as good as marketed :/

I received an order of colorfabb filament just the other day. Shining silver and translucent green. Testing out the green now and it has been rather finicky. When I get it dialed in right, it is marvelous. Getting it to print right has been a challenge playing with temps and speeds, clogs and underextrusions.

Seem to be successful running with

.2 layer height

70 mm

Temp 210

Bed temp at 50

Using std nozzle that came with machine.

I did have a new experience since the green is rather brittle. Had it snap in a few places within the bowden tube, feeder couldn't advance material. Had to pull a few pieces out. It is difficult to straighten out to get into the feeder, it likes to snap!

Hoping the gray is not as particular.

The translucent green continues to snap. Was sitting by the machine this morning and suddenly "SNAP" and a piece came off the roll leaving the rest broken in the bowden tube/feeder! Extruder was in home position with most stress on bowden.

I think I am switching over to the gray for a bit.....dang.

p.s. - Wasn't printing when it happened. Had just turned the machine on and was getting file ready when it occurred.

Colorfabb is more brittle than plain PLA. Also it seems that the filaments are not always well rolled to the case, since today I noticed that a few meters of my greenish beige filament was twisted and almost broken in three spots. I managed to straighten it but Im sure it will snap when it reaches the feeder.

I started a serious testing run today with the beige color. Still a lot to try but the results are ok. I modeled a test piece house L shaped, 1cm high, 2x1 wide. 45 degrees angled roof.

I measured 10 meter section of the filament and got a 1,75mm average thickness! That's damn accurate filament I dare say. I put flow 100%, speed 50 and started from extruder temp 190. I preheated the bed to 55 and when I hit print I turned the bed to 45. Infill was 15%.

I did 5 runs only upping extruder temp by 5 on each run. All prints were OK but few of the roof sides were pretty crudely layered.

The best result was with temp. 200. Then I did 3 runs with keeping all the same settings but dropped the speed ( all speed options) by then. The results were almost identical but the best was with 20 obviously. The roof was better but a few layers were clearly seen among others so maybe extrusion probs? Dont know..

So, tomorrow I will star testing again with temp 200, speed 20 and changing retraction.. Then something else etc. Untill I have the best result I can get. And Im sure that even if I get good / awesome result with this piece the next bigger piece will get screwed for sure..

I don't know if you are using 1.75 or 2.85 but I have never experience a snap with my colorFabb 2.85 filaments. I would put your experiences into an email and send to colorFabb and request a replacement. I did such a thing over a year ago and received a replacement from them very quickly.

I am using the 2.85 mm filament. I have reported the issue to colorfabb with the details of what occurred. The green came in the box with no seal or wrap. The gray was vacuum sealed. Wondering if this may be a contributing factor.

Im not sure if I want a replacement :) my nerves can't take much of this anymore

That is understandable but hey, if you are using high quality PLA and that includes colorFabb, then unless you have a problem with your feeding system, i.e. from your filament outside of the printer to the extruder, then I do not see how it can snap unless the filament is faulty. As long as you are happy that you had no feed problem during the print, did you monitor the entire print?, then you should do yourself and indeed colorFabb a favour. I doubt a single reel would be at fault, more likely a batch and if you report it that will help colorFabb if others are reporting too.

The monitoring is important. I had my first snap ever last week, whilst I was away from the printer. That though was clear to me, in that the filament had got snagged externally to the printer leading to the snap.

It was Skinny kid whose folament snapped :). I just have quality problems :)

No snags or feeder issues. Pretty sure it is the green PLA since I am on the last hour or so of a 14 hour print using Colorfabbs shining silver. :-P

The green is so stiff that if you try to straighten it without warming it to get it in the feeder, it breaks.

Glad that the silver works! Can you tell the speed etc. You are using