Dual extruder temp issues

Twwety
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Dual extruder temp issues

IDEX style printer both extruders temp set at 240 idle temps set at 240 also but the inactive extruder's temp changes to 230 then 225 then 230 when it gets activated then 240 right before it prints all m104 commands so its never is at 240. I cant find what setting is causing this but i'm looking to keep the extruder temps stable at 240.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:49 AM, Twwety said:

i'm looking to keep the extruder temps stable at 240

You do not mention the version of Cura you use, but it should be something like this:

• if Cura runs in "Recommended Mode", switch to "Custom" mode first
    • use the term "Temperatur" in the searchbar to filter the settings
    • the result should be a list of (at least) 7 temperatur settings (below the "Material" heading), 2 for the buildplate and 5 for the nozzle
    • set all 4 printing temperatures and the standby temperature to 240

This is acting very weird and I might do a fresh install of cura on another PC to isolate it as much as possible

2ColorCube-2cura.gcode2ColorCube-2cura.3mf

these are the project files and Gcode file and I've tried on cura 5.2.2 and 4.12.1. Messing more with the settings I've noticed some other odd behaviors I lowered the stand by temps down to 175 it starts fine setting T0 to 240 and T1 to 175 but never never changes the inactive extruder back 175 just keeps lowering to 230 and 225.

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Dual extruder temp issues

It's your settings.  Each extruder appears to be starting out at "Initial Print Temperature" you have set to 230°, then it moves up to "Printing Temperature" of 240°, and then it moves down to the "Final Printing Temperature" of 225°.  Each extruder goes through that cycle on every tool change.  (I've never seen the "Initial Print Temperature" or "Final Print Temperature" show up in a gcode so they must be specific to dual extruder printers.)

This is with your settings:

M104 S225 > this is up above and is cooling T0 down to "Final Printing Temperature" before the tool change .

T1
    M104 T0 S230
    M109 S230
    G1 F1200 E9.5
    G1 F600 Z0.7
    ;MESH:2ColorCube-1.stl
    G0 F7200 X156.84 Y167.076
    M104 S240

Changing the Initial and Final print temperatures (on both extruders) to 240 eliminates the bouncing.

So what we are seeing here is the dreaded "Expected Behavior" given your settings.  On the bright side - you don't need to do a re-install.

To the right of the "Search Settings" box is a button with three lines on it (the hamburger button).  It's the setting visibility tool.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".  Those other temp settings should show up.

Edited by GregValiant

Thanks a bunch makes so much sense now why it was behaving that way.

It always scares me a bit when this stuff starts to make sense.  Am I learning something(?), or is it bending me to it's weirdness.  It's hard to tell.

• Laugh 1