It Has Arrived

thehitman04

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · It Has Arrived

Well i installed the firmware through cura but its still the same. It doesnt appear to be moving the filament in print or in material shift. Ive got work in a few hours and been up since 8am so im gonna get my head down for a bit and crack on with it tomorrow

Posted · It Has Arrived

just as i was getting ready i thought ill take the filament out and reload, that seems to have been the problem. the little wheel that feeds it in had ground arway half the filament giving it nothing to grip on to push through. I gave it a helping hand and plenty came through the nozzle. Im waiting on the print now

Posted · It Has Arrived

Ok, so.. ive just removed the filament cleaned it a bit and cut out the section with the chunk removed. when ive re installed it its gone back in soooo much better, it went straight into the tube and to the extruder no problem. It also fed into the extruder and came out no problem aswell, at the minute its heating up ready for a print so fingers crossed :)

Posted · It Has Arrived

Yay!!!

Posted · It Has Arrived

20140304_153332_zps3f389378.jpg

20140304_153323_zpse6059cd7.jpg

20140304_153316_zpsfe69ad02.jpg

20140304_152741_zpsd07efa10.jpg

20140304_151835_zpsa1950bbe.jpg

20140304_145623_zpsdb99d47c.jpg

Posted · It Has Arrived

Yay. Good start. What temp was your heated bed and head? 75C is too hot for the heated bed and I think that's the default (don't know why). Try 60C for the heated bed. Also if you want to improve quality on that robot - in addition to heating the bed a little lower, try printing at half speed (just lower feedrate in TUNE menu to 50%).

Posted · It Has Arrived

i ran it through at its default settings, its certainly got room for improvement but i can see the potential :) its on printing something else on the card now so when its done ill do another robot and compare the 2. It also just dawned on me i dont have an SD card reader lol, i thought Cura would send it via cable but apparantly not :( so thats next on the cards

Posted · It Has Arrived

Hey Hitman, great to see you up & running ! The robot isnt the best example to print to be honest, yours looks just like mine did at standard setting. I printed another at 3/4 speed and there was an improvement, but i stopped it half way through. better stuff to find on thingiverse :)

Posted · It Has Arrived

yeh definately mate, as i say though i cant send stuff to the printer as i cant put it on SD card at the moment. Ive sooooo many models downloaded to test it on aswell as alot of stuff ive deisgned myself. Once i get the reader though we'll be cooking on gas :D

Posted · It Has Arrived

You don't have an old laptop sitting around with an SD slot? You can buy an SD reader/writer that goes on the end of a USB connector and the whole thing is tiny (fits in your mouth or whatever) and is very inexpensive. Any store that sells cameras, computers, or computer software should have them. Like an office supply store for example.

Posted · It Has Arrived

Nah ive never had anything that used full size ones, i can buy a one no prob its just getting time to swing by a shop lol

Posted · It Has Arrived

hitman, there`s a really nice new way to shop now... once you have the experience you`ll love it... check it out, its called the World Wide Web hahaha :p

Posted · It Has Arrived

Got my SD reader and have tried a few prints, i aborted quickly though as part of the base was beginning to lift. Im gonna have a play about and see if i can get it to adhere better

Posted · It Has Arrived

Failure to stick on the first level is probably down to any of:

a) the glass is dirty

b ) the bed is cold

c) bed leveling is too high (if filament comes out and doesn't stick) or too low (if no filament comes out, and the nozzle seems to be touching the bed, and the extruder is clicking a lot)

d) first layer is printing too fast (I generally do the first layer about 30 - 40 on the UM2)

If you print with quite a lot of skirt lines, that will give you time to adjust the bed height as the print starts until you get a nice even bead of plastic that is squashed onto the glass a bit. As the skirt is printing give each of the three adjusting screws about one-third of a turn, and then see if it made a difference, and repeat if needed. Turn the front of each screw to the left to raise the bed, and squash the filament down more; turn the front of each screw to the right to lower the bed, and make the filament less squashed.

Posted · It Has Arrived

it wasnt that the first level wasnt sticking, it was maybe after 4 or 5 layers maybe 1 corner would start to warp and lift off the bed. Ive upped the speed and it seems to have solved the problem somewhat, im thinking it may have had too much heat put in perhaps?

Anyway made myself a phone stand for my S3 and im printing a speaker amplifier now, tomorrow when im back from work im gonna try for a big print

Posted · It Has Arrived

It still comes down to sticking the first layer down properly; if its well stuck, it won't lift later. But yes, I would also reduce the bed temp; the default of 75º is a bit too hot; I prefer 60.

Posted · It Has Arrived

ah ok cheers

Posted · It Has Arrived

Heat the bed at 60c mate not 75', and where your print sits just spread a small amount of the glue stick. So far I'm having more trouble getting them off than parts lifting, use brim may help in cura too.

Posted · It Has Arrived

You probably have to raise your bed just a little bit :)

Posted · It Has Arrived

the first level seems to go on fine its more once a few go on it kind of curls, i think it is the heat yeh ive done a few now at a lower temp and its working alot better, done some with and without glue too, and yeh bed may be out slightly so i may just re calibrate :)

Posted · It Has Arrived

PLA shrinks as it cools. The higher layers are pulling hard enough to lift the corners up. The simplest fix is to add brim. This keeps air from getting under the corner and also spreads the forces over a larger area. All the other fixes involve things like glue.

You should be having a hell of a time getting your prints to come off the glass, not complaining about warping lifting the corners.

Posted · It Has Arrived

I put that on yeh, and yes its alot tougher getting things off now lol. Anyways heres a few things ive printed

20140308_030248_zpse8512cf9.jpg

20140308_070158_zps9139f74e.jpg

20140308_070203_zpsb002cb94.jpg

These are a phone stand i designed for the s3 mainly for watching videos, the channel is to redirect the sound to the front instead of the back

20140309_070519_zps87875fd2.jpg

a gt4088r compressor wheel, took a long time and the quality is ok but the fins are thin and havent came out amazing. Still happy with it though

20140309_074003_zps4a78a39b.jpg

the mark II phone stand, alot thinner overall, alot of wasted material removed and a more rigid sound tube. Again quality isnt great as i wanted it as a tester, im happy with sizes so im gonna print another in high quality

Posted · It Has Arrived

Is this quite a low res print, or is the lighting just exaggerating the grain? I think you can get better quality on a UM2. I found that a combination of taking extra care over leveling the bed, thicker wall thickness (1.2mm), lower print speed and of course 0.1mm layers all contributed to very satisfying looking prints.