Brand New Machine Does Not Work

kegs

Posted · Brand New Machine Does Not Work

Just got my UM2 after 10 1/2 weeks, plugged it in and the control panel does not

go on....any ideas? Fan and interior LEDs go on..highly frustrating experience so far.

Hmm. Does anything happen if you push the button on the front panel a few times...? (Which would help to tell whether the display is part is not working, or the entire front panel). If the head moves after a few presses, then it's just the display).

You could try checking that the wires are properly seated for the panel. Under the printer, there are two ribbon cables that go from the electronics board (under one metal cover) to the display board (under the other). The two cables, bundled together in a mesh wrapping should be pretty obvious under the printer, running between the two covers.

You'll probably need to remove the two covers to check the flat ribbon cables. Both are held on by a couple of screws that go from the bed of the printer down through the edge of the cover, and into a locking nut. Check that the cables are properly inserted, and that they aren't crossed - EXP1 on the electronics should connect to EXP1 on the display, and EXP2 to EXP2 (you can tell which is which by following which cable is 'on top' of the flat bundle).

Nothing happens when you press or turn the control button. I see the control cover panel, but lock nuts won't loosen up with that small of a hex wrench without stripping, I guess it is not intended as a service item- I did notice that that cover has a big dent like someone picked it up to package it and knocked the tab out of the outer panel pocket, maybe crushed something on the inside.. I guess I will have to get those little screws out of there somehow..

OK- Found exp1 and it was totally off--went through start up and then right hand

drive belt started flopping around and the screws holding the drive motor fell out of the back.

I think they have some major quality control issues. Any advice on re-attacting motors?

They need to put some longer screws in there, these just barely catch...

How long are the screws? The threaded part should be 25mm long.

I will measure later- I would guess that they are that long, they seem to catch 4 turns or so..

Yes, that's about right... The threading on the motors isnt very deep to begin with.

It's probably not a quality control issue.

More likely it's a shipping/packaging issue. UM needs packaging that can handle being thrown off a moving truck at 100km/h and crushed under 1000kg of boxes.

I think they have gorillas throwing around the boxes or something at DHL headquarters.