Marlin Layer Shifting with latest version

brictone

Posted · Marlin Layer Shifting with latest version

I have been experimenting using the Marlin firmware and for the most part it works. I used the second version available in the repg firmware update, that says layer shifting fixed. The problem with that one is it seemed to make the printer vibrate quite a bit on the perimeter of objects. So I went to github and downloaded and compiled what I thought was the latest and most stable version. The date on it was Nov 3rd I believe.

I just relaunched the same gcode with that new firmware and it must have shifted on both the X and Y axis about 15 times throughout. I tried turning up the voltage from the board so now it's just over half way and I'm still getting shifting.

Is there a better recommended version available that I should be using? github is crazy confusing to me. Should I be using version 3 in the repg firmware update? I tried putting that firmware on last night and got an error when clicking upload and that was as far as I have gotten.

Update:

I initially was printing at 100mm/sec and since I've tried 75mm/sec with the same results.

.1mm layer height

Hi

Maybe check all your settings by typing M501 into your RepG and pressing 'Build'

Then check against your settings here http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Marlin_firmware_for_the_Ultimaker

Also check your belts, and X & Y Motor Mounting. I found mine to be loose and jumping the first time I sped up printing.

I find Github a bit confusing too.

I got my last version from Nov. 3 and I have had 1 unexpected slip on the Y.

Hope this helps. Sorry for any obvious stuff you already know.

Owen

Well I ran M501 and compared them to the site and I get to this point on the wiki and it says...

Below is a matrix of values for various configurations:

[To be done]

nothing... So what are these values supposed to be mine are all default and I'm using sf40+

Will cold weather cause the linear bearings to have more friction? either from the oil or expansion or some physics? My machine does feel pretty stiff even though I've oiled it. It's gotten down to about 40 degrees in the last couple of days.

Well I ran M501 and compared them to the site and I get to this point on the wiki and it says...

Below is a matrix of values for various configurations:

[To be done]

nothing... So what are these values supposed to be mine are all default and I'm using sf40+

This is what I've been looking for myself lately. You made me find it. Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ultimaker/jzFDsHy0XVc/MzVXUxBNlcwJ

This is fairly relevant, maybe write down what your current settings are before trying any changes.

Owen

Yeah I spent all day trying to get this firmware to work reliably and it's not doing it for me. I brought the printer inside so it's warm, greased it up, made sure it's still lined up, tuned the pots. I couldn't get a perfect non shift. I ended up reducing the voltage closer to default.

I noticed in the controls it doesn't matter how fast you set anything it just goes at what seems like max speed. I slowed down the speed in my print, and it just made weird speedups during infill area. I don't know enough about this firmware stuff to know what was happening. I finally found a version on github from oct 18th and put that on my ultimaker so we'll see how that goes.

It doesn't seem to be making the crazy vibrations it was before. So that's good. we'll see if it shifts...

Edit:

yup still shifting. I don't know... maybe I'll just go back to the good ol' fashioned default firmware

Yes the versions of marlin in the repG firmware area are very old and still have skewing issues.

Git isn't so difficult for those not interested in setting up git on their system. Just download the arduino IDE then go to the marlin git page and click "downloads", the select the "download as zip". Extract that somewhere and sartup the Arduino IDE. Load the Marlin.PDE file. Under tools->board pick arduino mega 2560. Click the play button to compile it then click upload (second button from the right)

It may need you to specifiy a serial port. Then it will tell you if the upload was successful.

Hope that helps.

Also you probably (if you haven't already) may need to upgrade the motors to the larger nema 17 ones.

-b

I think I actually have some nema 17 motors when I tried to put together a mendel. Will that definately prevent it from shifting again? What else do I need to do, or change, for them to work on the ultimaker?

Does the machine make a "grinding" noise when operating?

Mine couldn't handle the speed and was jumping the belt on the Y axis... the belts were pretty tight too. The newer machines have a torque-y motor. I ended up taking the machine apart and polishing the brash bushings inside with 320 grit wrapped around a dowel. It should slide effortlessly . I also removed the "sticky" lube (which will get WAY worse in cold weather) and used a sewing machine oil.

I am still trying to find the sweet spot with Marlin...

Good luck!.