Slicing a Assembly as an individual component in Cura

Shrbs
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Slicing a Assembly as an individual component in Cura

Hello everybody,

I am new to 3D printing & slicing and would like some suggestions on how I can import an assembly into Cura for slicing but set one of the part inside the assembly as support.

Thanks in advance

• Solution

Export both models as STL files.  In cura go to menu item "preferences", "Configure Cura..." and uncheck "ensure models are kept apart".  It might be okay to leave that checked but I suspect not.

After the models are both in Cura they should be "on top" of each other.  Then select both models (shift click or maybe ctrl click until both are selected) then right click and I think possibly you have to goup them or something - I don't do it often enough to remember.  There's an explanation of how to do this in many youtube videos I'm sure).

They should be lined up the way they were in CAD if you group them correctly.

Then I think you are done.  It will treat them like 2 separate models printed with the same filament and extruder (unless you right click one of the models and assign it to something else).  On one of the models you can have it get different settings (for example no outer walls and or no top layers aka "skin").  I forget how to do that as well.  "per model settings" maybe?

But If I convert the two models into two separate STL files and import them into Cura then won't the desired placement/ orientation/ spacing would be lost in the process?

Thanks in advance.

If the parts were designed as an assembly with the same reference point. When you merge the parts in cura then they refer back to this reference point so the desired placement isn't lost. 

When they are first imported they will be 2 parts on the bed. You can select each part and per model settings and which extruder etc. Then merge the parts and they will then snap together as an assembly. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 10:31 PM, Shrbs said:

won't the desired placement/ orientation/ spacing would be lost in the process?

You would think so but, no.  Not in my experience.  Somehow the STL files have the same reference point.  Even though cura seemingly ignores that when you only have one STL and centers the part, if you have 2 or more parts you can get Cura to position them as they were in CAD.  At least it works for some (most?) CAD programs.  Again, uncheck "keep models aprt".  Anywaym, don't ask us, ask cura (meaning try it).

• Like 1

If you merge models, Cura uses the origin as defined in the STL. If you group them, Cura uses the position on the buildplate.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I was struggling with the same problem, and finally figured a solution to this in Fusion 360, but it may apply to other software as well.

Problem with approach above is Cura refuses to slice model when out of build volume.

I create 2 surfaces with zero thickness (basicly polygons called surface geometry in Fusion 360) at the edge of the build volume. (see the screenshot)

As they have no closed geometry, Cura simply ignores them.

And you must export each component seperately, I do this by making only the component i want visible, and select "save as mesh" from right click menu. But don't forget to keep "zero thickness component" visible.

When you have all your components in Cura, just right click and center them on build plate, there you have your arrangement according to WCS. Now you even have access to per object settings for infill or print custom modelled supports.

Check the scrshots attached

UPDATE: before posting i realized it also works when you just make a polygon on the floor instead of left and right.

More intuitive :)

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.26.48.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.26.58.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.27.02.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.27.19.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.28.05.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 23.31.17.png