UMS5: Underextrusion problems

Posted · UMS5: Underextrusion problems

So Ultimaker support reached out to me and told me that they do not know what the problem is and I should pay a service 3d party technician who has the expertise to deal with that problem. I am truly out of words. I will never work with an Ultimaker product again. Do you know who would buy this peace of junk with 20kg of filament a few spare parts and a spare bed and a few printcores some new some clogged.

Did you speak with a reseller or with an actual ultimaker employee in the Netherlands?  The ones in The Netherlands are usually quite good (and for people in USA, the support people at fbrc8.com are extremely good).

So your problem is tricky - your feeder and nozzle both seem to be working okay. 

I guess you need to post your project file.  In cura do "file" "save project as" and post the resulting file here.  The same exact settings as that square part where the walls were separated.

Posted (edited) · UMS5: Underextrusion problems

Hi @LJustusBuhler & @gr5,

Just back from the hospital, so not that easy to answer.

Thanks Gunnar for the kind of word.

I'll hope I'd not confuse anyone, but Cura Arachne is just different than the old Cura slicing engine.

This, as it adjust the width as it want to make the model dimensions right, so in between it adjust line -so gap is avoided as much as possible. This is my basic understanding of how it's done.

I wanted an exact adjustment to see if this worked on the surface -and so it did.

Today, I'd looked at all the setting in the profile @LJustusBuhler used and found that the "Thin Wall" was selected.

I'll think this setting is preventing the Arachne engine to use it's expanding mode, so this might be something?

As I've been experimenting a lot with this engine, I found that you have to be careful when changing profile esp to avoid

under or over extrution, but did not think much about it due to testing with Cura 4.13.1(?) with same result.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edit.

The "thin Wall" setting is really meant to tell Cura Arachne; "Print with less width than current nozzle width". So sure; I'll know it.

However, I've seen warnings about this to be turned off to make Cura Arachne work properly.?

I would like to know about this "issue" from the Cura Team.

But the "Thin Wall" setting is default in Cura and I've never checked this out, cause I did not see any problem.

Edited by Torgeir
    More info..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @gr5

I tried to get an employee on the phone multiple times and called them in the netherlands but I always got told that they do not give tech support via phone.

Hi @Torgeir

I will try turning off thin walls and will send the project files as well as some pictures 

@LJustusBuhler

I've been having a very similar problem to you, and I just discovered the problem: the graphics card I was using in my PC!

I don't know specifically why, but the old ASUS GTX 660 graphics card I was using in my PC was causing Cura to slice models incorrectly. Replacing the graphics card resolved the issue for me.

I know it sounds crazy, but you can read in my thread that I tried literally everything, including sending the printer into the Ultimaker Repair Center, and nothing fixed my problem until I tried a new graphics card.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

I am having similar problem on S5 with material station: under extrusion and/or delamination of walls.

Most of the time I am using Ultimaker filament brand (Tough PLA and PETG) but

I am getting pretty much the same behaviors on other brands (eg. ColorFabb)

image.thumb.png.e20a0cbd0942eae61342c4555c9b60eb.png

image.thumb.png.8a24c0a7130e6692ce377d62338b8853.png

However, on my side, I am getting ER65 error (https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667418045432)

from time to time, but not always.

I've done some steps ex:

- verified connection and wiring 

- fan is working properly

- feeder tension at middle

- cleaning the feeders (friction wheel and around)

- cleaning the core

- swapping the core with other one

I haven't checked the rotating magnets of the feeder stated in ER65 error page yet.

Recently bought a complete primary feeder #1 assembly and it's still doing the same thing.

It looks like the feeder #1 is worse. I need to try more on the feeder #2 if it happens on it too.

Once I've seen the newer feeder assembly wasn't the issue, I just recently upgraded the firmware on the printer (8.2.0.0) and update Cura to 5.6.0 (was on 5.3.0). I will test it out again but I have a feeling it won't fix it...

I might have to check what @matt_dt3d said regarding GPU/PC but I was doing ok few months ago. The hardware didn't change but maybe recent drivers... Slicing display seems fine on Cura. I try keeping most recent drivers on GPU and PC updates. Running a HP ZBook Power G9 i7-12800H with nVidia RTX A2000 8GB on Win11 Pro.

I use this printer at work, the company bought it with material station and fan filter system. I am not new to 3D printing, I have an old 5 yo+ Prusa i3 at home and I am surprised for a machine that expensive (10K$++) of about 2 years old, it doesn't make sense to have so much trouble finding the issue. 

Underextrusion can be tons of things - for example (1) cura settings (try using only default settings for a print to see if the problem goes away), but usually it's the feeder or print core.

2) Oh - and make sure the middle fan is spinning - if it stops spinning you get intermittent underextrusion.

3) So try the other feeder like you suggested

4) Try a different print core as well

To test the feeder, I do the MOVE command and see how fast I can extrude.  Typically I can get filament to go from the printcore down to the bed in about 10 seconds.  For underextruding printers that is often 30 seconds or more.   If that fails then it's the feeder or the printcore.  This is a much quicker test than doing an entire print.  This way you can test both feeders and multiple printcores and often find the problem very quickly.

• Like 1

1. I always use the standard/default printing profiles from Cura

2. middle fan is spinning

3. I am doing a calibration cube right now only with feeder #2. at the moment it looks pretty good, about 20min to go.

4. Different core have been tested before without success.

After the calib cube print I will test out the MOVE command as stated and will see how it goes...

I haven't tried disactivating the flow sensor yet and print

Failed calibration cube done with brand new feeder #1 assembly.

Delamination on last layers, error ER65 appear.

image.thumb.png.c4630cf92f5c729c34da9a05e867fd74.png 

Contour wall is delaminated a bit

image.thumb.png.315fb78e3646fa8be112801eb0be64bb.png

Success on calibration cube done with feeder #2.

Print looks pretty good and tolerance decent:

X: -0.05mm

Y: -0.04mm

Z: +0.10mm

image.thumb.png.66b0c66b3b050cc5125c23bdefdc3ad1.png 

No delamination on contour wall.

image.thumb.png.1b7e4f2dbc132a330d308f9f019f79aa.png

Unable to do the MOVE command on Print Core 1 or 2.
    I tried heating up the core first (210ºC), but nothing appears in the menu (3 dots)...

I am not seeing any MOVE command in Settings nor Maintenance menu as well.

image.thumb.png.7af0bb0cf85de0e64b36e439b049ca48.png

image.thumb.png.8c14447fe2c11e655b4a2504513bdc7d.png

image.thumb.png.0e74541f1673bef59afcba84f770409e.png

image.thumb.png.a025d6e17a4a4dfa98221bec73c25ace.png

image.thumb.png.3fa2908d7629183c68aaf3462194840b.png

image.thumb.png.3e5b4bf126462aa58d0d4272db787c02.png

See how the "print core 2" screen has a vertical "..." in upper right corner?  MOVE command would be in there except that's the wrong screen.  For me, without the MS (material station), I select the material and the "..." appears in that upper right area, I click it and MOVE is an option.

I suspect you can do it from that screen that shows all the materials and which core they are connected to.

Okay, I've been told the feature is gone when you have the MS.  So you will have to do your testing by printing something but as soon as you know if it's underextruding or not you can abort the print.  Keep track if the problem sticks with the feeder or sticks with the printcore.

Once you have isolated the failing component, I have more suggestions.  Well if it's the printcore, try a few cold pulls or just throw it away.

I use the same Print Core that was a success on feeder #2 and switched it to feeder #1

The print didn't fail but we can clearly see under extrusion again.

The feeder #1 have been change to a complete new one...

I don't understand that would be the issue...

It seem the issue is sticking to feeder #1...

image.thumb.png.074c883b9a13471f34a6586ae743cadb.png

image.thumb.png.9ec18cee9310224a54838588ea3c88ba.png

image.thumb.png.e0aa5823c84c43742cfe74f32ce98261.png

Yes.  Are you saying you replaced feeder 1 recently and right after that the problems started?  If so, this sounds very suspicious.  It's easy to assemble the feeder wrong.  There is a tension screw that people often mistakenly have sticking out of the feeder.  The screw is supposed to be wholly *inside* the feeder.  Accessible by a hex driver only.

The feeder tension should be at the half way point as shown by the indicator.  There are videos and such helping out with assembly of the feeder.

No. I was having problem with feeder #1 prior changing to a newer one.

I put a new one because I thought it was the problem since when I opened

the older one to clean it, a plastic part inside broke.

Yes the feeder tension is in the middle/half point where the line is on the

plastic casing. 

I did not opened the new feeder assembly to verify.

I am now doing a test with AA 0.8mm Print Core on feeder #1 to see how it goes.

Yesterday tried the same Print Core on feeder #2 and there's no under extrusion.

Well it sounds like it's not the printcore and it sounds like you had the problem with both the old and new feeder so I'm a bit stumped.  I'd contact Ultimaker technical support.

To do that, click the 9 tic-tac-toe dots in the upper right corner of this page and select "support".  Then near the top click "submit a request".