Optimizing layer start and end points to prevent travel

Supernova27

Posted · Optimizing layer start and end points to prevent travel

Is there a setting to force the start point and end point of a layer to be the same (or as close as possible)? Or is there a setting to force the start and end of the infill to be closer to the Z seam?

With default settings, my print completes the wall, then travels all the way across to the other side of the body to start the infill, then finishes the infill and travels all the way across the body again to the Z seam to begin the next layer.  

With the Custom setting button turned on and the Setting Visibility turned to All then in the Travel Section you will find "Layer Start X" and "Layer Start Y".

There is no such setting for the infill.  It will often be as you want it (start near the z seam or layer start point) but for different types of infill patterns it may be different and if you change the Infill Line Directions it may be different.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi
    I have a similar concern, especially noticed when compared slicing between Cura and Simplify3D
    I made this simple model for explaination
    as you see in the sceenshot, the travel lines in blue going from one end to another, due to the start point of each layer.
    I tried all kind of combing options and Z seam option to get rid of this travel lines, but non helped.
    image.thumb.png.79b5711f153b316f678ce667f552cf89.png

meanwhile in S3D it looks like below screenshot, travel lines are in red
    the travel happens on the outline exactly, as well as each layer starts where the previous layer finished, so travel to starting point is avoided.
    The option in S3D is under Layer tab called "Optimize starting points for fastest printing speed"
    image.thumb.png.1167cec2aa0fac66a9fd56f1e7a6af3d.png

is ther any option in Cura to achieve that, please ?
    Open_box_wall.STL
    and many thanks in advance.

This is with an Ender 3 Pro active that I have configured to dual extruders.  Combing is "All" and those point-to-point moves are gone.  This is in 5.3.1.

When I switched to a regular Ender 3 Pro those travel moves showed up.  Sine then I've been unable to get rid of the travel moves.

In 4.13.1 it was all good so I created a project in 4.13.1 and opened it in 5.3.1.  Still no good.  I can't get rid of those travel moves.  This is looking like there is something buggy in combing.  I know "C" shapes are tough but I haven't noticed this problem before.

image.thumb.png.962bad0d87aeb1972240d5144a08ae77.png

That is strange, I couldnt get the same results with 4.13.1, always had these travels
    another thing i noticed for this model
    on 4.13.1, the model doesnt get recognized unless i tick "print thin walls"
    meanwhile in 5.3.1 its always sliced regardless the thin walls options ticked or not, am gussing that might play a role as well

also, in 4.13.1 its not recognized as Shell, but as Top/Bottom
    image.thumb.png.3cf4dd2d5fce54a040ef80dd28d2ff22.png

funny enough , rotating the model horizontally , changes those travel moves 
    image.thumb.png.07ec9ed8e3f9cda2fc35b21b5fdea705.png

is ther any channel to report such behaviors please, or is it only Github ?

Github is the place.

I think there is some flaky/buggy behavior here.  This is from 4.13.1 (I've attached a 4.13.1 project file).  I set the Line Width to 0.39.

image.thumb.png.13b9fd4eab35e284d72abd2fecf37d89.png

This is the same project in 5.3.1.  The Z seam can't really be moved from the end of that leg.  Whether Combing is the problem or the Zseam location is the problem, I can't tell.  Something is the problem for sure.

image.thumb.png.0d932ed63bd3a5f0e2828a33de67264b.png

GV Open_box_wall.3mf

Posted (edited) · Optimizing layer start and end points to prevent travel

Hi Folks,

I found this very interesting as there's so many different ways to go with this.

I'd just divided the wall width with 2, (1.05/2=0.525) mm and adjusted "Wall Line Width" from 0.4 mm to 0.52mm

Then selected from "Normal" to "Surface" mode in the menu "Special Mode", that's all.

Here's picture from Cura 5.31

Open_Box_Cura_531.thumb.jpg.f3db673dedee73df5c181298a5b34b6d.jpg

It print each layer in one go, then next starting inside the cross with next layer.

Here's picture from Cura 4.13.1

Open_Box_Cura_4131.thumb.jpg.516c8902666e4b41b0b00934dce2949d.jpg

Same thing here, except from the starting point (the visible withe line).

This is just another approach to solve just this issue.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Edited markers
    • Like 1

I measured the walls at 0.40 in 3D Builder.  That's why I had to lower the line width in 4.13.1.

Using "Surface" mode results in a double wall and that does get rid of the travels as it is almost like spiralize.  Dimensionally I wonder how the actual wall thickness would turn out with the double extrusion.

I was able to get rid of the travel by dropping the Minimum Line Width to .20 which also  forced a double wall.  

I think setting the Combing should work though.  Regardless of the number of extrusion passes the nozzle should comb over the part rather than just jumping across.

• Like 1