Robert's Cable Chain, is too tight a problem?

pikey

Posted · Robert's Cable Chain, is too tight a problem?

I printed out |Robert|'s cable chain. Per "instructions" I printed 12 segments not including the end pieces. My final assembly I had to remove four segments in order to get it to properly fit, and the bottom segment doesn't have enough slack to be secured (double sided tape) to the bottom of the Ultimaker2

So far it doesn't seem to be interfering with the prints, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not doing long term damage (I don't even know how this would do that). The cable doesn't seem to be interfering with any critical operations, but I'm worried mostly about putting stress on the connectors to the bed and board. Is this a concern? They don't seem too tight...

lRqRtlf.jpg

bJYmm5o.jpg

eBgljXM.jpg

YouTube video of how rigid the cable is at full bed extension.

http://youtu.be/AGwQuCAaEgY

Looks like your cable is quite a bit shorter indeed. Maybe Ultimaker have shortened it on newer machines? Or maybe they've tucked away some slack underneath the machine that you could retrieve?

I'd say my little chain is mostly cosmetic in the end so if the cable isn't causing you trouble normally, maybe it's best to remove my chain.

Or maybe they've tucked away some slack underneath the machine that you could retrieve?

Yeah....

I'd say my little chain is mostly cosmetic in the end so if the cable isn't causing you trouble normally, maybe it's best to remove my chain.

What?? I would prefer to remove all the wiring and keep the cable chain :)

I love the design and look Robert, it was such a huge hassle to properly mount, I'm not looking forward to removing it.

Its a shame. :(

Edit: I took one more link off (down to seven not including tips) and it seems like that took some stress off the cable. Its currently printing (I took it off while printing the mm3/s test) so I can't tell if there is less stress on the cable in the resting (bed down) position. I think this should enable me to keep the cable chain. I hope...

One link removed:

2uqHivY.jpg

Its a shame. :(

No, it's not! Did you already checked if you can pull more cable?

If you feel confortable to disassemble your printer, you can remove the stepper motors lid and the pcboard cover, then check if you have enough cable there. A shorter temp probe can be difficult to extend but I don't think that ultimaker is messing around with that either so if the bed wiring is too small, you can easily change it. take some photos to the wiring connections and then when you have to reassemble everything you can confirm with the pics

One link removed:

it's better. if you don´t have more cable to pull, I think it's not worth the effort to change the bed wiring, just because of one link only. the cable has plenty of room so I guess it's ok

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions Mr. Waldorf. I guess I'm worried about the cable putting angular stress on the printer bed. Although it seems like that isn't much of an issue. I might still remove the entire chain because it worked properly before I started messing around with it.

Edit: I'm please to report that after a few torture tests, my prints seem to be unaffected (knock on wood) and the chain stays.

I might still remove the entire chain because it worked properly before I started messing around with it.

Well that's a shame... :)

The cable chain should move without any difficulty. I sanded my cable chain and he moves very smoothly and doesn´t put angular stress on the printer bed. Maybe one last thing to try before you give up

edit: Well I Did, knock on wood 3 times, I hope that can help you :mrgreen:

Hurray!! The cable chain stays!!

Well that's a shame... :)

The cable chain should move without any difficulty. I sanded my cable chain and he moves very smoothly and doesn´t put angular stress on the printer bed. Maybe one last thing to try before you give up

Check out my edit! Instead of sanding my chain, I was playing with it and constantly flexing it while watching a movie, that gave it enough play not to worry me about friction stress.

I printed this at the weekend too, used 0.15 layers and it was fine. Had a few technical difficulties during the print but nothing too bad :p Your cable does look a bit shorter than mine, I used the full 12 segments plus end pieces. I had to enlarged the screw holes on the main connector to get the bed screws in though.

Has anyone complete for UM2 Extended? If so, how many segments?