UM2 Glass buildplate

johan89

Posted · UM2 Glass buildplate

It's hardened glass and very straight and with tight thickness constraints. Otherwise, when you level it it the gap will still vary (between the nozzle and platform).

Non-hardened glass will often break when it's heated up unevenly. A little expansion on one side that doesn't happen on the other will cause so much stress that it cracks. We've seen this with regular glass but not with the current glass plate.

Thanks, that's a great and very important information at the same time.

Is there a special name for this type of glass?

...such as tempered glas ...?

Markus

ritzenthaler fabrice: Please use English in this section of the forum.

Pyrex borosilicate glass

I'm pretty sure it is *not* borosilicate glass. Borosilicate glass doesn't expand as much as regular glass when heated and so can with stand huge temperature changes and so is used for cooking. But it costs more than regular glass.

I'd bet against you, gr5.

BTW, if you break your glass plate, you would be out of luck, because Ultimachine tells me that they don't have any available.

There is a guy from China here on the forums, Jason HK, that sell a Boroilicate glass plate kit (that at least fit the HB kit for UM1 that he also sells).

Discussions on it are here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2771-complete-heated-bed-kit-for-ultimaker/?p=45308

Jason HK is a great guy, very communicative and responsive.

According to UM it is *not* borosilicate but it also isn't "ordinary" glass. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe tempered glass?

I assume most of us live in an area with buildings and glass windows. If you live even in a small town (say 5000 homes) then that should be enough glass to keep a small glass store busy every day. So chances are you live close to a business that specializes in cutting glass and stocks different types of glass and can cut glass to any size rectangle. Perhaps they even have diamond drills to make holes and such. They usually can also grind the edges so they aren't sharp. They usually make mirrors also. They are usually very inexpensive. In USA I can get a pane of glass cut to the size of the UM2 bed for under $20 (very roughly 15 euros).

Somehow, it is always not a pleasure , directly on glass printing.

I've done in a short time many experiments, not scientific, but very sobering. To me it was to get off reflective surfaces for some objects.

My short PLA Conclusion:

- No PLA material is, like the other, which is clearly visible and well known.

- Bed temperatures above 60 degrees are absolutely unacceptable for many applications.

- Without adhesive Helps bed temperatures are clearly required above 60 degrees.

- I have a adhesive Help found that the adhesion properties slightly improved without leaving visible traces, and allows temperatures down to 48 degrees.

- But even with the adhesive Helps it is below 48 degrees very difficult, and there are again some places detachments.

- Below 42 degrees is then, even with the Special adhesive Help, nothing more secure.

- Large overhangs in the vicinity of the glass surface, can already above 40 degrees are very ugly.

- The temperature distribution of the Heated Build plate UM2 seems to be very uneven.

- Glass is not suitable for special PLA applications.

It's tempered glass.