Cura feature request and help

rock500

Posted · Cura feature request and help

Daid, a bit of give and take :D

The give, would it be possible to add to the text file which is generated with every gcode file, basically a exif data of the settings

used to create that print, ie temp, fill %, speed etc. Many items i have gone back to a old item and wondered what settings i

have used to create that print. As the text file is already created could this data be added ?. I think many people would find

this handy ;)

The take, i am having problems getting cura up and running, in the start up wizard, i skip the firmware update, but one i get

to the section which asks to extrude 100mm of filament i get stuck, it will not allow me to save if i simply enter my mm figure

which is 103, (i already have the figure from previous tests) so there is no need for me to run through the whole procdure, but

when i enter 103 and then hit save, it changes the 103 to zero. Then if i try to extrude 100mm and try to heat up my machine

using the button it heats i hit ok,then i remove the filiment, and line it up, then hit extrude 100mm. but nothing happens.

Any ideas?.

Jonathan

If you're not using the supplied firmware then the wizard doesn't work in the next steps. But that's no huge problem, you can configure the "steps_per_e" in the preferences. The 100mm value adjusts the steps_per_e, so with the right steps_per_e you should be on exactly 100mm extrusion.

Adding the used settings to the final GCode is possible. But internally the settings have slightly different names then shown on the GUI. I could also save the profile as an ini file next to the gcode and log file. Not sure what is wise... I rather not clutter the GCode too much.

Thanks for the quick reply daid, re the used settings i would not want them in the gcode, but in the text file which is generated along with the gcode. Even if it

just exported the raw data i guess you could work out quickly what the temp, fill etc was ?.

I will try and skip the wizard and edit in the preferences once my current print has finished.

Jonathan

I've added the "save profile next to GCode" feature in the development version of Cura. The feature needs to be enabled from the preferences, and then it saves your settings as [stl_file]_profile.ini, which you can load into Cura again.

Thanks for that, hopefully people will find it handy.

Still no joy getting Cura RC1 running, once i enter my filament size and hit next, all the

open box's close, and then nothing.

Jonathan

That's the Windows7 (maybe Vista) bug. The problem is that the user which the tool is running at doesn't have write permissions in the installed directory. The problem is, I do not have a machine to test a fix on. But I hope to have this fixed soon with RC2.

I am running the included Marlin 1.0 RC II? firmware - and I cannot run the extrude test either on Cura RC1. I have given the program the right rights for the directory.

when pressing extrude - I hear a few ticks from the extruder (like one or two) but no extrusion happens. But when I print it extrudes fine. (from PrintRun)

If I enter a new value in the "100" Edit box - it just reverts back to 100 and Steps pr E stays at 0.0?

Apart from that Cura slices a lot faster than netfabb on my 6/12 core I7..

The extrude test isn't that user friendly. If the "steps per E" is 0 then it indeed doesn't work, you need to manually set it to 800 or something, then run the test and enter the real extrusion length, then press save. The steps per E will be updated on the save button with the correct steps per E then.

I am on Windows 7, so that explains why the program close's down.

Look forward to seeing RC2 :)

The extrude test isn't that user friendly. If the "steps per E" is 0 then it indeed doesn't work, you need to manually set it to 800 or something, then run the test and enter the real extrusion length, then press save. The steps per E will be updated on the save button with the correct steps per E then.

ahh thanks :-) then maybe the start up wizzard should start with 800 :-) else you cant complete the startup wizzard.

anyway - 2 questions

1. Is it possible to set it so the head does not have a start position in the middle of the print? (0,0,0) ? That usually leaves a blob in the middle of my print :-)

2. How about raft printing? Is that an option? Flat and big objects seem to stick very well to the blue tape...

thanks

I've updated the wizard to start with a right value for the RC2 release.

1. Not sure what you mean? It "primes" the extruder at the corner. You could adjust the start gcode so it wipes the printer head clean. Joris also does this, and cut a corner out of his printer bed for this.

2. Raft is a feature in RC1, it's below the support option :) (in simple mode, Raft is only enabled when you use ABS, so you need to use normal mode)

I hope this is the right thread...

I think CURA is great and reliable every time (I'm still struggling with a black 3d preview window but continue to use it :cry: ) but I feel it could be improved by an optional different kind of fill for the upskin/downskin,like in netfabb.

the quality of the upskin/downskin in geometric pieces with the top and bottom faces nearly horizontal is way better with a 'contour-concentric' skin than with the normal hatching fill that doesn't go very vell with the vertical walls.

this is a feature that could be a good improvement on CURA

don't know if all this is clearly written... :lol:

I understand what you mean. You want the "netfabb" like infill, instead of the line infill that Skeinforge does. On a perfectly calibrated machine, both should look the same really.

This photo shows the infill type you want:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66753090@N08/6180925213/

However, this is not a feature Skeinforge supports, and the infill part of Skeinforge is a big mistery to me. So I cannot add it. A trick you could do is set the wall thickness very high, so it fills the full model with lines like that, but then you have a very solid part. (you could stick multiple GCode files together where you have the top and bottom with thick walls, and the center with thin walls and sparse infill, but that would be quite a bit of work)

I thought about that when I noted that there is a little gap between walls and infill on the upskin of my printed object and the downskin is way better than my upskin (i.e. extruded objects or extruded text)

Maybe incrementing the % of wall-infill overlap should solve this specific problem.

Please re-include save settings again in 2.3+. Helps a lot for comparison, analysis, fine-tuning.....

I suggest to a dropdown "Save profile settings":

- No

- Beginning of GCode (makes most sense to me since settings cannot get lost)

- Separate [stl_file]_profile.ini

Personally, I don't mind the settings having different names - still better then zero information.

Please re-include save settings again in 2.3+. Helps a lot for comparison, analysis, fine-tuning.....

I suggest to a dropdown "Save profile settings":

- No

- Beginning of GCode (makes most sense to me since settings cannot get lost)

- Separate [stl_file]_profile.ini

Personally, I don't mind the settings having different names - still better then zero information.

Uh you mean export profile? Or the settings we already append to every g-code?

I meant all the print-specific settings, I guess that includes some of the information provided in the quality-profile and materials.

But as you pointed out, the infos are already in the gcode, just not where I expected them, but at the end of the file.

Is there a way to re-load the settings from the gcode file? Feature request? Or is there another reason for them being prefixed with ;SETTING_3?

Is there a way to re-load the settings from the gcode file

Profile -> Manage Profiles -> Import -> File Types -> G-code File

Is there a way to re-load the settings from the gcode file

Profile -> Manage Profiles -> Import -> File Types -> G-code File

Cool. Thx for quick reply.

Suggestion: to make it more intuitive, prompt user if profile should be imported (or not...) upon drag and drop of gcode file.

Hi, after using Cura a lot (and I've got to say it is incredibly good), one option I would like is a side-wall improvement.  The sidewalls at the moment are basically done as a parallel layers of a filament layed down on top of each other (in the Z axis).  This is structurally not sound as the parallel layers can de-laminate (all concentric layers can pull away from each other).  What would improve this drastically is to alternatively have parallel and then serpentine on the walls.  Eg layer 1 would have parallel (concentric) filament paths, the next layer (layer 2) would have a serpentine layer, Layer 3 would be a parallel (concentric) layer and so forth.  This would bond the side walls together and make a structurally very sound bond.

Thanks for the work on this.  It really is fantastic.  ?

Posted (edited) · Cura feature request and help

What I would really like would be the ability to print a skirt that is a few layers thick.

I need the skirt to prime my nozzle, but I find that I have a lot of trouble getting it off the print bed.  A lot more trouble than the actual print since I invested in an Easy Peelzy knockoff.

My issue is that my bed (not an Ultimaker) is not completely flat, so in places my skirt is really thin and it break rather than coming off the bed.

I tried doing 4 lines instead of just 1, and it helps sometimes but not always.

What I would really like is to be able to print the skirt multiple times, like in the first x layers instead of just the first 1 layer.  That should allow me to grip it better for removal without wasting a lot of plastic.

Does something like this exist?  I wasn't able to find it in the settings.

If not, how do I request that it get added, either in the main software or as a plug-in?

Edited by Gdalya

Posted (edited) · Cura feature request and help
    6 hours ago, Gdalya said:

What I would really like is to be able to print the skirt multiple times, like in the first x layers instead of just the first 1 layer.  That should allow me to grip it better for removal without wasting a lot of plastic.

You can try a draft shield with limited height (it's in the "Experimental" section). If you set the x/y distance to the same value as the skirt distance, it should come close to what you want.

draft_shield.PNG

Edited by tinkergnome
    • Like 1

14 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

You can try a draft shield with limited height (it's in the "Experimental" section). If you set the x/y distance to the same value as the skirt distance, it should come close to what you want.

draft_shield.PNG

Thank you.  The draft shield (I limit it to 1 mm in height) is working beautifully thus far.