Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mnis

Thinking about redesigning the side fan trays for UM2?

Thinking about redesigning the side fan trays for UM2? Has anyone already thought of an optimized fan plate, or even been a workable solution, so an optimized fan plate for single extrusion?

Almost all objects created with the UM2/UM1 who have some finer detail, have mostly one-sided distortion. On the example of the UM-Robot this can each recognize during the printing process very well already. The right arm and the ear are distorted compared with the left. I think advanced users know the problem already, so I think the photos to prove here are not required.

At the UM1 is regular only on the left side, a fan. And the UM2, the right fan is unfortunately too far away from the nozzle. I know the UM2 is prepared for dual extrusion, but the current fan arrangement seems disadvantageous and requires improvement.

Maybe you can somewhat reduce the deformations onto firmer settings, but I believe without changing the fan plate, it will not be enough.

Markus

Yes i have.

Theoretically the first thing to do would be modifing the existing Nozzle shield so it would actually shield the nozzle from the Air that is meant to cool the extruded material. This would create more flexibility how to design the airflow thus creating the possiblity to bring it nearer to the extruded material improving the printing of overhangs and bridging.

Nozzleshield.jpg

First design of the radial fan i will use together with this motor:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/229022/Motraxx-Elektromotor-X-Train-124-L-N-12-V-Leerlaufdrehzahl-229022?ref=list#download-dokumente

Design can be downloaded to look at here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90634021/35mm%20Radial%20Fan.STL

This design will be optimized for the UM2 since there are some space Problems with the sidepanels and the X/Y Stepper Motors as well as the Bed Plate with the Ultimaker² line on it. I will recommend probably to take off the X/Y Motors though.

Anyone up to supply me with a nozzleshield as it is specified in my previous post? Sadly i lack the material and especially the tools to do that thing.

Oh, thanks for the impressions from you Takei Naodar. :-P

I know I have opened this thread, but now suddenly the time I do not have to intensify. Hopefully it will be better next weekend. :oops:

Maybe someone still has a few good ideas.

I thought first of a two-part solution close to the original design and supported by the central hole in the plate between the two nozzle openings. Foldable aluminum sheet, but what thickness should it have at least?

I also thought of as a round air shower without the original fan plates, but I do not know the exact name for such a construction.

So much, at least for today.

Markus