Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
aurock

How to install Cura on Raspberry Pi ?

I have Octoprint running on a Raspberry Pi to control my printer. I'd like to enable the Cura integration features to be able to slice via the octoprint interface, but I haven't found any instructions for installing Cura on a Pi. I see debian packages for i386 and amd64 on the download page, but no mention of an ARM version.

What do I need to do to install cura under raspbian?

I think you need to compile it your self.

Look here for instructions

https://github.com/daid/Cura#debian-and-ubuntu-linux

One problem I see is that it's for i386 or amd64, a raspberry pi is ARMv6, so I think you need to edit package.sh and add ARMv6 support.

I the top add this to the list of build targets

#BUILD_TARGET=debian_armv6

And then after this add a new build target

#############################
# Debian 64bit .deb
if [ "$BUILD_TARGET" = "debian_amd64" ]; then
export CXX="g++ -m64"
A LOT CODE REMOVED HERE FOR BETTER VIEW
# Rest

Add the new build target before ^^^ #REST

with this code:

# Debian armv6 .deb
if [ "$BUILD_TARGET" = "debian_armv6" ]; then
export CXX="g++ -march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard"
if [ ! -d "Power" ]; then
git clone https://github.com/GreatFruitOmsk/Power
else
cd Power
git pull
cd ..
fi
rm -rf CuraEngine
git clone ${CURA_ENGINE_REPO}
if [ $? != 0 ]; then echo "Failed to clone CuraEngine"; exit 1; fi
make -C CuraEngine
if [ $? != 0 ]; then echo "Failed to build CuraEngine"; exit 1; fi
rm -rf scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura
mkdir -p scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura
cp -a Cura scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
cp -a resources scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
cp -a plugins scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
cp -a CuraEngine/CuraEngine scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
cp scripts/linux/cura.py scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
cp -a Power/power scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/
echo $BUILD_NAME > scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr/share/cura/Cura/version
sudo chown root:root scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET} -R
sudo chmod 755 scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/usr -R
sudo chmod 755 scripts/linux/${BUILD_TARGET}/DEBIAN -R
cd scripts/linux
dpkg-deb --build ${BUILD_TARGET} $(dirname ${TARGET_DIR})/cura_${BUILD_NAME}-${BUILD_TARGET}.deb
sudo chown `id -un`:`id -gn` ${BUILD_TARGET} -R
exit
fi

Now build the package and hope for the best with

sudo ./package.sh debian_armv6
sudo dpkg -i ./scripts/linux/cura*.deb

Jesper

@Kenzu Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I looked at that yesterday, but I don't know anything about the different requirements to build a package for arm vs x86. Fortunately, based on Daid's post, it looks like I probably don't need to go through that, and can just go with Cura Engine instead.

@nallath I appreciate the reply, but I am certainly not the person you would want to write a build script, I haven't the understanding or skill set to do it right. I came here asking for help simply because I have seen many people mention using Cura on a pi (with or without octoprint), but didn't see any documentation for how to do so. I was hoping that I was either overlooking the documentation I needed, or that an experienced user who uses Cura on Pi would be able to point me in the right direction. I didn't expect you to drop everything to add support for another platform, of course.

@Daid That is good to know. I've seen mention of cura engine a couple of places in relation to octoprint, but it appeared as an option - i.e. ". . . with Cura or Cura Engine" - so I hadn't looked into it any further. Hopefully knowing the correct software to use will enable me to figure things out.

Thanks everyone for the responses, it's always good to get a reply, even if it's just something that might point someone in the right direction.

While the Raspberry Pi lacks the processing power of your typical pc, its hardware-accelerated OpenGL does appear to be sufficient-enough to run a plausibly adequate implementation of Cura.

The sticking-point is that GUI part of its Linux-Debian distribution doesn't like OpenGL (without Wayland; which is another topic altogether), making any windowed OpenGL application is nearly impossible to implement in its current state.

One possible work-around, would be if Cura could be written to render to an dynamic HTML-5 panel, and displayed through an html-5 compatible browser (in beta last I checked).