Noob, why doesnt the base layers print on my VASE?

alitech

Posted · Noob, why doesnt the base layers print on my VASE?

Okay so there are 2 issues here.

1) You sliced a model and printed it and it didn't have a bottom. I don't know which model or which settings.

2) You sliced a different model or at least one with different settings and the slicer *does* show a bottom but you for some reason don't believe it.

The latest Cura displays slices much faster and there are trade offs that can be confusing. One of the trade offs is that it shows the model before it even finishes slicing (you can see the slice progress bar up near the floppy disc icon). Another one is that it shows the outer shell first so that for a few dozen seconds the part may appear hollow but then there is a *second* progress bar at the bottom of the screen saying % of the layers loaded into the slice view. Because the outside of the part loads first it looks hollow. A 3rd issue is that when you are viewing upper layers it doesn't show all the detail of lower layers.

My point is that part you sliced in your cura screen shots will print fine. The part you sliced before didn't print fine but I don't know why because that STL model and slice settings may be lost.

spiralize = True

This is not recommended for the STL model I downloaded. However it *is* recommended for others. I guess you have to understand how that works.

This only works for very simple shapes. Lets start with a cylinder. The cylinder should be modeled solid with a top a bottom and sides. It should not have inner surfaces in the STL. Sprialize then automatically prints the part hollow. It's kind of like setting "no infill, no top", but it's more than that. It prints only one pass on the outer edge. If you set the shell thickness to .8mm and your nozzle diameter is .4mm it will overextrude by 2X to get it on a single pass. It also adds extra material where the wall and the bottom of the part meet to keep it watertight. It also increases the Z gradually instead of in steps so that you don't get a Z seam. If you print 2 cylinders at once it will not work correctly. If you have "holes" in your cylinder it will mess up really badly. It will not work with the "bud vase" that I downloaded. This is because that is not a simple solid shape - it has internal walls and no top. It defines the thickness of the walls of the vase in the STL. It defines the thickness of the bottom also.

So "spiralize" is very very specific. It is meant for cups and vases only and it only works for certain models that are designed to work with the Spiralize feature.

It's a little frustrating because when I asked what model you printed you gave us 3 links. 3. And the first link had 2 different models. Am I supposed to check 6 models? I checked the first model and it wasn't the model you printed but it sliced fine for me. Next time please post a photo of the model you printed, post the SAME SETTINGS of that model and post a link to the stl and if there are multiple STLs then say which one.

I also specifically told you that spiralize was likely a problem. I even showed you a photo of the spiralize setting and circled it in blue yet you still checked it seemingly ignoring my advice. Then you post photos of cura slicing a model just fine. It's all quite confusing and inconsistent.