14.03 Print speed error?

maik-jaehne

Posted · 14.03 Print speed error?

Hi,

I tried new Cura 14.03 but the slicing seems to has an error. It leads to nearly double the printing time! When printing the shells the head moves very slow (Slower than selected i.e. 50mm/s).

Additionally the print head moves not smooth when printing the shell lines. In result printed lines looks a bit like a gear. :O

Cura 14.01 No SliceErrorCura 14.03 SliceError

Comparison of print time, while using same settings.

There is a new feature in 14.03:

You can specify different speeds for outer and inner shells.

Default values should be 0.0 which makes no change (uses the specified print speed from main settings for everything).

Maybe something's off there?

I've just printed a few small parts with 14.03 and didn't have any issues...

By the way, your album is empty.

new feature: yes I understand,

something off? I´d not change anything from the default settings (I think).

as you might see in the (now fixed)

album (compare Screenshots)

Cura 14.03 SliceError

Cura 14.01 No SliceError

Maik

(but my ulti2 still move material back too far if I abort a print (a fixed issue from a firmware update in January) but still present issue at my machine - in sum: maybe my printer just does not like me ;o )

There are SO MANY SETTINGS that can affect the time. For example just checking "enable combing" might speed things up because it might do less retractions.

You really need to run both Curas side by side and look at every setting. And consider looking at them in layer view as you might see something there also.

I suspect this is the thing Nick talked about the other day... Perhaps because the latest, Cura is working at higher resolution? I think that some complex geometries are generating very detailed tool paths that are causing buffer underruns??

I don´t think my little chess piece is so complex. and I used both cura versions with default settings just after install it. I did not any change, ok just the shell thinkness. I´ll try again... we´ll see.

Circles are as complex as it gets.... Lots of little triangles approximating the curve. :-) How big is the STL file?

Circles are as complex as it gets.... Lots of little triangles approximating the curve. :smile: How big is the STL file?

This could be the cause. I did change some stuff in the resolution to fix the problem with the "waves" not lining up (see different topic on the forums about resolution)

It's a bit of a tough problem, you want as much resolution as possible, but not so much that you have buffering issues. Could be that my changes had unintentional consequences.

I'm also having some issues. It seems that no matter what I put in "Outer Shell speed", it is making the shells slower.

Hard to say for certain.

I might just downgrade to the last Cura release until things get more stable.

Okay, just tested with a model that I had saved gcode from before. Sliced in new Cura, and the outer shell is printing really slowly, even though I set all the speeds to be the same.

This results in uneven blobs on the print, since it seems the flow rate is constant.

Well, this explains all my printing troubles from yesterday.

Example models. Example models. Example models.

Also, USB or SD printing?

I need information if I want to fix this properly.

@Daid

Does it help if I send you the gcode?

I tried both USB on an Ultimaker 1 and SD card on Ultimaker 2.

Ah discussion still runs.. :)

Do you need a STL File or/and gcode?

and in my case SD Card printing

Maik

@Daid

Does it help if I send you the gcode?

I tried both USB on an Ultimaker 1 and SD card on Ultimaker 2.

Helps more if I have the model and settings used. Models can be emailed to d.braam@ultimaker.com

And I keep all models confidential (and delete after fixing problems) unless specified differently by the maker.

@Daid

Okay easy, I test with the "Cute Octo" model from Thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27053

Maybe it only happens with round things?

I also took a photo...It's kind of hard to see because it's clear filament.

Left one is from older gcode, Right one is from new Cura gcode. The surface on the Right one is bumpy where it's smooth on the other one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82ojrbmg6f7gbil/IMG_4939.JPG

speed 50mm/sec

.2mm layers

20% infill

.8mm shell

Wow:

Gcode 14.03: 5358KB

Gcode 14.01: 1136KB

same default settings, I´m going to send you the stl Daid.

Wow:

Gcode 14.03: 5358KB

Gcode 14.01: 1136KB

same default settings, I´m going to send you the stl Daid.

... I did change some stuff in the resolution ..

Higher resolution means more code -> bigger gcode files ;)

Are there a lot of circles in this model?

/edit:

I guess it's the chess piece from the original post? There you go - lots of circles :)

Yeah, the model is super-high detail. So it's the perfect test case ;-)

If you guys are too lazy to send daid ALL the settings and too lazy to send him an STL it's amazing he listens to you at all.

The settings can be saved with "file" "save profile" or you can just include the last line in the gcode (that's safer as it guarantees it is the same settings as that you made the gcode).

I don't know how this happened but my copy of 14.03 has some strange stuff in the start gcode that slows down the print quite a bit. The main weird thing is that the XY acceleration was set to 1000. This makes my prints go much slower. I took that out.

The other thing that is strange is it moves the bed by .08mm after homing such that homing techniques used previously now don't work anymore. I took that out also.

I don't know where this code came from. It might not be part of the default release of 14.03. It might have come from me somehow by accident when I did a "load profile from gcode" on some strange model.

If you guys are too lazy to send daid ALL the settings and too lazy to send him an STL it's amazing he listens to you at all.

He did send me the model and the settings...

I've uploaded a test version (also to test something completely unrelated) at:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

I think this solves the speed problem, but it would be good to have it verified.

hi Daid

the beta exe seems to be corrupted, gives error before installing stating that the integrity check has failed. can you re-upload please?

Hi all same issue in a part that I printed yesterday out. The gcode size with cura 14.03RC3 was around 7mb with 14.03 around 80mb the printing time also duble. I compared al settigs one by one but I didn't found a different. There is somthing happend between RC and final version!

cheers

hi Daid

the beta exe seems to be corrupted, gives error before installing stating that the integrity check has failed. can you re-upload please?

Darn it. We're having super-crappy internet issues at work (reaching wooping speeds of 10kb/s!) might have corrupted the upload, I'm uploading from home right now. Should be up 5 minutes after this post