14.03 Print speed error?

maik-jaehne

Posted · 14.03 Print speed error?

on sunday I wanted to print a small wing (using an 13.x cura version) and discovered the noise in z direction (z being the span direction), and the trailing edge was kinda jagged. Not so nice, already thought of using netfabb as this prints in z perfectly and a nice sharp and regular trailing edge but on the other hand seems to do some decimation in xy, resulting in a airfoil which is not totally smooth (and nf has some additional issues)

But then I found (http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4601-cura-toleranceaccuracy/) discussing exactly this and your accuracy fix in 14.03, very happy I downloaded it and sliced (ok it took longer than with 13.x but who cares, still fast enough). then I started printing and the printer sounded like it's going to die at the leadingedge and at some small 4mm diameter holes in the wing, After finishing the print the z direction was much better than in 13.x but still not as perfect as in netfabb, trailing edge was nice. Now the 14.03_test sliced code is running, the speed issue is gone! :) Thanks

will comment on overall quality after is is finished, but in the graphic preview it looked fine.

Hello Daid,

I print with the Cura 14.01 and the surface from my object is smooth. I print a boat jetdrive. Last days I test the cura 14.03 and the result is a surface with many bloops. I test with the same parameters and reduce the speed for the outer shell.

Then I test the 14.03 testversion, a little bit better, but the gcode from the 14.01 is better.

Little objects the result is a little bit better, bigger with circles a disaster.

What can I do. Should I send you the gcodes?

Thorsten

I did this test with the same settings in 14.01-14.03-14.03test1

The 14.03 behaved different, not making smooth round circles, you could hear that it made more straight lines as a circle.

14.01-14.03-14.03test1

See also this related thread, where OP is getting much messier surface finish on 14.03 than with 14.01, when printing the exact same models at the same speed:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5007-surface-looks-a-lot-worse-in-cura-1403/

I have seen the exact same thing, where the surface comes out looking over-textured on high-poly 3D-scanned models, but this was a long time ago (in Cura terms) right when I first got my UM2: so the resolution issue with 14.03 may be part of the problem, but it's not the whole story.