Failed print - too thin details?

shurik

Posted · Failed print - too thin details?

Hi gr5,

Yes, if the discussion will go on, we will perhaps copy it over to a more proper place.

Meanwhile, here.

The bunny was oriented exactly as it is on the photo. As I wrote - the shift is to the left.

Later on, will try to reach the motors to tighten "the hell out of them" :)

Any other ideas are always welcome, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about failed attempts, too much stringiness. I know this isn't something new, but I wanted to share my first Coral attemp with you all :) and I figured there's one too many Coral threads out there already to be openning a new one. Trying a different support system and orientation now, so I'll be back with some new images in about an hour :p

20140721 210105

20140721 210059

20140721 210053

• 2 weeks later...

Shurik, I really like your emoticon...I could watch it all day long and laugh... B)

And now on topic: I just had two print which resulted in grinding with the orignal feeder. However, I have a quite new UM2 and thus the spring is the weaker one. Do you have the stronger spring? I think the tension is just (still) too big. If you have many retracts within a short time, the filament gets heated up due to the pressure and is getting weak and flattened.

I've set the minimum travel before retracting to 5mm and the minimum extrusion before retracting to 0.5mm. Especially the second one makes sure the feeder has a new piece of filament to chew on.

Thanks for this info, Dim3nsioneer. I've been trying to print a skull for the past few days using support material generated in MeshMixer. There are a LOT of support posts, and the print kept failing. I finally realized that, because of the excessive number of retractions being used to print the support posts, the extruder was crushing the filament down to the point that it was physically unable to exit the top of the extruder and enter the Bowden tube. Using your suggested settings for minimum travel and minimum extrusion seems to be doing the trick! (I'll find out in four hours, if this thing actually prints completely…)

I'm glad I could help. For some prints, the minimum extrusion amount might cause the effect that no retraction takes place between certain spots and will lead to extensive stringing. In such cases, you have to test if you can risk to put zero there.