A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Hi all,

I'm currently trying some stuff on my UM2 i have a part in mind and the first two designs failed miserably ^^ hopefully the test for my third design will be more successful... Tried to print two things from thingiverse yesterday and the failed too, i have to master those print settings :mad:

Except that sunny but cold day here in belgium/luxembourg boring day at work :-|

Well, I don't drink coffee or tea but I'll share. I'm bummed out! Bloody Facebook bought Oculus :( About a week ago we got the happy news that DK2 was ready for pre-order and now we get this... I spent most of last night reading the reactions and figured I should sleep on it before raging out too hard, but I dunno about this...

I'm sure it can be a positive thing in the short term as it will give them insane amounts of exposure and a shit ton of money to put into the project. But I shudder at the thought of what's going to happen after the first consumer version hits the streets. Once the higher ups really get their teeth into Oculus and start demanding results and features that might not be in line with their own standards.

Well, I don't drink coffee or tea but I'll share. I'm bummed out! Bloody Facebook bought Oculus :( About a week ago we got the happy news that DK2 was ready for pre-order and now we get this... I spent most of last night reading the reactions and figured I should sleep on it before raging out too hard, but I dunno about this...

I'm sure it can be a positive thing in the short term as it will give them insane amounts of exposure and a shit ton of money to put into the project. But I shudder at the thought of what's going to happen after the first consumer version hits the streets. Once the higher ups really get their teeth into Oculus and start demanding results and features that might not be in line with their own standards.

has the complete world forgotten one important fact... YOU CANT BRING IT WITH YOU.. how ever fat your wallet gets from selling your soul... heaven doesnt accept visa or mastercard ! ;-)

The only thing we can do in life is work and create amazing things and make life better for people... but those ideas are fading awayyyy

Lol!!!! I just did "walleyed" 3d viewing and didn't realize until I tried it but that is a 3d picture above and it has great depth and it is very interesting where the different overlay is placed in relation to the depth. Most of those "like" icons are placed at a distance on the object in the background like that one in the top right corner. Also the closest thing to the viewer is the shopping car, lol.

as always no work in work.. HAHA... so im doing a nice step by step guide on how to convert building models to 3d printable models... thats to help a friend :smile:

And im reading a million pages today about setting up my own stock image website... oh god help me... google is just not good with this kind of question... soooo many adverts its crazy.

I didnt think it would be such a big problem.. I am sitting on 24 thousand of the rarest color photos taking during the second world war. All I want to do is upload maybe 10,000 to start and use my freetime to writh descriptions and meta tagging. Then let the world come to me...

I already have two big existing stock firms asking to take my collection from me on a harddisk and do all the work for me.. but for that little deal... ill be signing a contract for 20% and the big company keeps 80% of all revenue from my collection.

This would not be a problem if I had a million baby photos... but I know a lot of media and publication companies are searching for this color war material now... Even big national archives that always just took donations are now activly shopping and paying big money for unpublished original material.

Anyone ever setup a photo stock website ??? im getting a headache from googling.... uhhh

Ian :smile:

I haven't setup something like that but I would imagine that including any terms around it when searching would lead you astray (as it would lead to all the already existing sites). Not sure if there are any ready made packages for sites like that out there, seems like a pretty narrow market. Time to learn some PHP/MySQL/HTML? :)

24.000 photos :shock: That's a big collection

@lan if you plan to share your guide on converting building models to printable models i would be interested :geek:

I asked one website development company how much they would charge to build something like this.. their offer was 40 thousand euros... I wonder would they accept the two pieces of chewing jum i have in my pocket and the 73 euros on my bank account ... ? ;-) LOL

Before anyone asks... When I worked as a solidworks engineer in Ireland I really did earn very good money and instead of blasting my money away on women and drink..I decided to invest every cent in acquiring this very rare color film footage... Yes I am a very ... different person but it made sense at the time....

Now its time to use this resource...

Ian :-)

24.000 photos :shock: That's a big collection

@lan if you plan to share your guide on converting building models to printable models i would be interested :geek:

no problem !

when its finished I can publish it on my blog www.ultimaker2.com

Dang... 40k, tell you what, I'll do it for half! :lol:

this looks pritty good ?

http://www.ktools.net/

Thanks lan :)

It looks like a clever investment... I don't know if you heard about the documentary Called Apocalypse created by the Belgium Tv Network Rtbf. It's very nice they did a serie on the second world war and after that one on the first world war... Very interesting to watch.

Thanks ! no never saw that one !

Did you see the new American Documentary... World War Two in High Definition.. a nice part of the color film comes from me :smile:

Another really funny thing is... I was going through some of my old color home movies and found one last night just titled India. I opened it and it was a private 16mm color home movie from a british priest visiting India in 1946. I never saw this film before and it was amazing.... color moving film of buses and cars and horses racing around each other on the busy streets of Calcutta.. then the film changed to a small farm with peasents. a small indian man approached the camera.. the little indian held a black british umbrella... it was Mahatma Gandhi..... :smile: :smile: :smile: my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw him approach in original color film before me..... amazing... :smile:

Come on Ian, post some stills so we can see :)

Gandhi :shock: amazing you have hidden treasures ^^

ok guys if you want.. ill setup my projector tonight and try and make some photos.. or even better a little video clip ! :-)

Ian :-)

Have you looked at sites like SmugMug, Ian? While not really a stock site per se, they give you a lot of control over image sizing, water-marking, etc and allow you to sell digital downloads of the highest quality images. You might be able to make that work.

More generally, I'm pleased to report that I actually 3D printed something last night - the Coral Bracelet that I posted in another thread. That's the first time in a couple of months that I've printed much of anything - and what little I have has been calibration tests and extrusion cylinders. It feels good to be back to actually making things. :-)

Add "php" to any searches you do Ian. For about $80 per year you can get a bluehost web site (many websites actually) and they have unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth and are a great company (I've been using them but have no other affiliation).

If you find photo sharing software that runs on php then it will be easy to install onto bluehost. Like most hosting sites they can do mysql or postgresql database back ends. For example this bulletin board we are on right now - the umforum - it is done in php with a database to store all the posts.

Maybe you should describe your requirements and maybe I can produce a website for you for royalties only. Is this a money making plan or not? I've done websites before and it's basically my job. My client for the last few years has me doing all the software on a private website so I do lots of web programming.

What a great thread!

A nice way to get to know all of each other and see what else goes behind all the 3D printing.

I have been ill for the last 2 days so I haven't read the thread yet but I will later today.

So.. what I have been doing is drinking a lot of tea and orange juice and sleeping.

Not thé most interesting story I think.

I have recently started indoor climbing which is a lot of fun.

But totally drains all the strength from my hands when I am done :p

Im also looking forward to the video Ian, sounds very very interesting!

Im guessing you haven't looked through all those films?

Gee, who knows what else is in there.. Ghandi. Amazing.

Wow, Indoor climbing today, tomorrow Everest.

Everest should be easy, you must be used to mountain climbing.. . . .

. .. ...Keeping us lot happy!! :p

Have another orange juice on me, and get well soon.

as promised.. i just pulled over the curtains so the the room is nice and dark..

the last two color frames show first Nehru... Gandhis number 2 and then the second color frame showes one of the two scenes with Gandhi :-) :-) :-)

india1.jpg

india2.jpg

india3.jpg

india4.jpg

india5.jpg

india6.jpg

india7.jpg

You're storing all of this according to all the rules so that it doesn't degrade in any way I hope? Personally I'd rather see it stored somewhere safer than a persons home, but maybe that's just me :)