A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

@SandervG, sure, but that's because you can VISIT snow, you don't have to LIVE in it ;(

@peggyb, Even with proper winter tires and the anti-spin/ABS working overtime I was still sliding around a bit at just 50kmh in town. So yeah, things slowed down a bit here as well. And there's another thing to hate about the white plague, you have to plan your driving more than a couple of seconds at a time. Actually stopping the car where you want becomes something you can't guarantee.

People here that have been driving for a few years can usually feel/see what's going on with the road and adjust quickly for it. But in places where snow isn't common it's another beast, people just don't know what the hell to do/expect. Even more so because they drive around on tires that were never meant for snow/ice.

@Dim3nsioneer, damn, I should've thought about that :p Also, -13C this morning, that's bullshit too dammit! :D

-13!! Ouch. I remember snowboarding in -24 with strong wind, that is Horrible!!

Yknow wierdly the UK should be pretty cold at this time of the year too, but so far it almost feels like summer! getting colder over the next few days we are told.

Here as well, it didn't even freeze during Christmas. It was like 7 or 8ºC. Super weird how that affects your Christmas feeling.

Anyway, the cold making its introduction here as well. In the North it has already been rather slippery for the last few days, and every day the temperature is dropping a little bit.

+20C here. Dunno what's all that strange stuff you're all talking about. :p

• Like 1

Its that cold white powder falling from the skies. You may have seen it in some movies :p

• Like 1

@shurik just put a roll of cheap white PLA into your printer, choose one of the many voronoi models and set your speed to 500mm/s and temp to 400c, that will probably give a similar snow effect lol

• Like 2

Just put in a pre-order for the Oculus Rift so I can escape to some warmer place.

Turned out to be about twice what I was hoping for as far as price goes but... meh, screw it, it's only money right?

@shurik, put your hands in the freezer for a couple of minutes to get a taste of it :p

• Like 2

@IRobertI ohhh very posh!

Nah, I've been waiting for this for years so I've had plenty of time to make sure money was available :)

I hope you have a decent gfx card. I am playing Elite: Dangerous and their recommended specs for VR are _two_ GTX 980! :O

Nope, still stuck on an ancient 770. I'll limp along for a little bit longer until the new gen of cards hit and then see if I'll go with something like a 980 (since the price should drop a bit) or splurge and go with a next gen card. Still have a couple of months to wait for the Rift to ship. Or longer, not sure where I ended up as far as batches go as it took quite a while to get the order through.

This guy playing right now is bloody insane... holy shit

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Just put in a pre-order for the Oculus Rift so I can escape to some warmer place.

Turned out to be about twice what I was hoping for as far as price goes but... meh, screw it, it's only money right?

@shurik, put your hands in the freezer for a couple of minutes to get a taste of it :p

same here, I'm in the first batch for delivery at the end of March :)

We already made a big VR project with my company : http://www.sevenedge.be/case-study/vrcity We got the DK1 and DK2 but the retail version will be improved a lot. Can't wait to test the retail version!

I ended up in the April batch, I think. I'm in the "had to keep trying for 20 minutes before the order went through and never got a confirmation e-mail but have an order number"-camp... I think I remember seeing April somewhere before I reloaded and everything went blank again. The servers got slammed hard. I was a bit surprised they couldn't keep up since they have Facebook server parks to use.

I have the DK1 but it didn't get much use as I got horrible motion sickness within 5 minutes in any demo/game that wasn't very very slow. Even walking around in Tuscany got my stomach churning. Proper tracking, no jitter, low persistance, higher framerate etc etc should hopefully help with that.

ACSchw5.jpg
    • Like 1

But but, it's already here ;( And it's no joke dammit!

winterisalreadyhereman.thumb.jpg.91a952db762c4341570b0d854b8a4faf.jpg

:p

winterisalreadyhereman.thumb.jpg.91a952db762c4341570b0d854b8a4faf.jpg

• Like 1

Dutch winter be like:

Vrijgezellenfeest-Anne-290.jpg

@SandervG you must be living very isolated :)

last week people could ice-skate in the streets in the Netherlands....

• Like 2

Well I have been working in 30+ degC heat all day so I'm trying to turn my room into winter with my air con on high.

Soo... anyone good with Firefox profile recovery? For some reason I just lost all my open tabs (40-50 of them). And even if I roll back the profile folder in appdata/local and appdata/roaming to backups from a few days ago it still wont restore old tabs. wtf? Is session information stored in some other place as well?