A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?
4 minutes ago, LesHall said:

Yesterday I had a funny idea:  using my Ultimaker for various unusual purposes such as wood burning, paper marking, metal scribing, circuit board masking, wax melting, and lots of stuff like that.  I got all excited as usual and below are some snapshots of this morning's brief effort.  Yesterday I put a circle on a piece of blue tape (and then another) and now this attempt.  It looks crude, yes, but a nice beginning don't you think?  

I know it must not be an original concept, however it's new to me which is always exciting as the process of discovery is so enjoyable.  The images shown are OpenSCAD "hello world" followed by low temperature tracing on a piece of card stock (on printer and scraped off).  

It should be practical to expand this into 3D as well.  Maybe better efforts with more heat and non-drilled nozzles in steel are better.  Also the combination of 3D printing and this type of process could be interesting.  I'd like to try combining both additive and subtractive 3D printing.  

Les

hello world 180207b.png

hello world 189297b 1.jpg

hello world 189297b 2.jpg

I LOVE experiments! Just to understand how you did it. You just heated the nozzle and burned the first layer on a paper?

I've used an Ultimaker as a plotter before, but I never considered using the nozzle itself. I'm really looking forward to this experiment, it would look great burning wood! #hype

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?
    10 minutes ago, flowalistik said:

I LOVE experiments! Just to understand how you did it. You just heated the nozzle and burned the first layer on a paper?

I've used an Ultimaker as a plotter before, but I never considered using the nozzle itself. I'm really looking forward to this experiment, it would look great burning wood! #hype

TY for your quick reply, it's fun to exchange ideas.  I have not tried a plotter, how do you mount it on the extruder?

Oh I missed your question, sorry.  Yes I heated up the nozzle to 150C.  It was not hot enough to burn and the print head moved too fast for any burning to take place.  It's a mechanical pressing this first try.  

This kind of experiment reminds me of playing with ketchup and chocolate syrup in the kitchen as a youth.  All we ever really did was make a mess but it sure was fun.  

Les

Edited by LesHall
    • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LesHall said:

TY for your quick reply, it's fun to exchange ideas.  I have not tried a plotter, how do you mount it on the extruder?

This kind of experiment reminds me of playing with ketchup and chocolate syrup in the kitchen as a youth.  All we ever really did was make a mess but it sure was fun.  

Les

Ultimaker explained how to transform the Ultimaker Original+ (so long ago!) into a pen plotter here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/99-transform-your-ultimaker-in-a-pen-plotter

• 4 months later...

Repurposing is fun. I used a 1/2 watt laser with an old print3rbot simple to do laser engraving on wood. It worked quite well.

I am currently fooling around with a 3-IN-1 hot end. I am designing a whole new printer around it. Has anyone forayed into this area yet? I am really interested in doing full color printing in 3-D. 

I've started organising a makers fair for my local community as a volunteer organiser. Bringing together crafters under one roof to promote and sell our creations. I hope to make this event big someday ?
    And to put on my stall, I am 3D printing Christmas ornaments, I made lip necklace and charms as well and hand crafting accessories. I still haven't perfected my coaster design yet. I plan to 3D print and create a mould using my formbox. Then make it using jesmonite. 

• Like 2

I love this concept of hanging out with coffee. I am currently in a coffee shop while reviewing this coffee hangout blog. I just got done ordering a design of mine through shapeways just to see what they can do. (aside from billing people). As I am reading through these blogs, I am seeing I am not the only one who is looking for time better spent. I love the experimental mentality here on this site. I bought a makerbot a few years ago thinking, "oh, I'll just print something." While that was true for designs that already existed digitally, for those that didn't, it was an experience in ignorance. the UM and its community seems like a great way to chip away at that. Also, in the spirit of cooperation and recognition, the Prusa3D is your closest competition. Thanks for the stories. I'll share mine soon. (too close to tell just yet)

This isnt directly UM related, but i thought it was great because I was using the same tools i bought to clean up my 3d prints to add a new veneer to a table I had ruined, after sanding it back to mdf. I did the iron on method in case you are wandering what the iron us doing. Very happy with it seeing as ivd never tried it before.

20181221_160947.jpg

20181221_164642.jpg

20181221_171433.jpg

20181221_205901.jpg

20181221_205907.jpg

20181221_210632.jpg

20181222_155147.jpg

20181222_155208.jpg

20181222_161752.jpg

20181222_162602.jpg

20181222_162930.jpg

20181222_172835.jpg

20181222_183253.jpg

20181222_194348.jpg

• Like 1

Well done and looks great!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Was good fun. Bit dusty mind you. 

And a good feeling to have the tabled rescued with just some effort.

I had no choice....it was my mums table and i told her i could save it after ruining it!!! Luckily shes happy with it again. 😂

Not much effort but more just making sure everything is done to the best of my ability...according to youtube videos lacking detailed information that is!! Like my 3d prints...i try best. Theres no point otherwise. Next table will be better!!! But it will be more creative!!! Veneers are fun! Ill need to buy metal ruler though as i only had a bit of glass to use as my guide when cutting because i had to ensure a perfectly straight line cut to line up all the veneers!! Not ideal but clearly doable!

Edited by cloakfiend

well done. Turn out good.

• Thanks 1

Yes, a metal ruler can be a handy tool in such situations and I will buy one too.

Beautiful!  Have you thought of making an instructables article?

Les

• Thanks 1

I guess i could post this up, i have more photos of the process but its kinda on you tube. Im doing things very casually here. I would not recommend using bevelled glass as a cutting edge it leaves room for error and you really need a perfect edge to line up to the other. I bought the flat veneer knife online for a 10bucks. Its got a nice long thick blade and the only thing i needed as you need the one sided flat knife or else you get an uneven cut....escpecially if your gonna be using glass to lean against! I can imagine people using laser cutters to male cool veneer tables!!!  Um should have one!! Might make one later

On 12/22/2018 at 11:19 PM, LesHall said:

Beautiful!  Have you thought of making an instructables article?

Les

Long time no see @LesHall , how have you been?

Oh, Hi Sander!  I've been on an emotional roller coaster in the process of  inventing lots of stuff.  Some of it is 3D printer related.  50 inventions in the past two years, but I hardly recall them.  Also I've been using my UM2+ all the time!  

Lately my efforts have focused on completing old projects and I'd like to create some kind of business supplying others with tools and/or supplies.  

How have you been?

• Like 1

The last couple times that I was printing I noticed this burning smell but could not figure out what it was. Well yesterday my heated bed did not warm up anymore. So today I started looking in to it and found this burned connection in my printer:

One of the wires got probably a little loose and running that 10A current nicely fried the connection. At least I found the stink. The electronics are still intact so with some soldering I was able to get the printer going again. I just left the connector there (too much work to remove it)

Never underestimate what 240W of power can do for your heated bed.

BurnedWires.jpg

Edited by zoev89

Looks not so good, but be happy that nothing more happened. 

Happy 2019 to everyone!! 🍾🎉

I hope you 2019 is going to be an inspirational and memorable year for everyone. Are there already any interesting projects or events you are looking forward to? 

It looks like I will be making my first trips to Asia this year and visit some events there, which is quite exciting! 

On 12/25/2018 at 4:35 PM, LesHall said:

50 inventions in the past two years

Talk about being busy! I'm happy that Ultimaker has been able to play a part in some of them! I have been really good, thank you. 

• Like 2

I had the connector to my hot bed start to melt. I caught it before it got too bad thanks to having recalled your experience. Thanks for the intel and insight!

I have been working on a solution to tall dams not being able to use fish ladders. I have come up with a new type of fish passage. Anyone have any knowledge about international patents?

Here are some photos of a Chainmail sphere in progress.  It's from a design I created ten years ago and thankfully the writeup is still available.  The plan is to write an updated tutorial with some easier techniques that have now surfaced.  

Les

IMG_1104.JPG

image.png

image.png

Les 3D_Printed_Glasses_-_Selfie_preview_featured.jpg

Edited by LesHall
    • Like 5

Nice ball!!! And nice peactical skills! Looks neat and tidy!!! Im also trying something fun out myself, hope it wirks as well as this!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:55 AM, cloakfiend said:

Nice ball!!! And nice peactical skills! Looks neat and tidy!!! Im also trying something fun out myself, hope it wirks as well as this!

Cool cloak fiend, what are you thinking about doing?

Les