A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Since this thread turns into motivational workout talk - here's my contribution :)

I've started three weeks ago (after two years pause...). I have a very, very simple program that takes no longer than 30 mins per day.

I have chosen 6 muscle groups that I want to train (abs, pectoral muscles, back muscles, triceps, biceps and shoulder muscles).

There are two different exercises per muscle group and for every exercise, four sets with as many repetitions as possible.

In order to decide when to add weights, there is a simple rule. If for the last set I can do more than 12 repetitions, I add weights (like 2kg more). If I can't reach 8 repetitions, I remove weights. Between every set there is a pause of 30 seconds.

And in order to keep the programm short, I do every day one muscle group - except for abs which are always trained. So for every day I have 2 abs exercises with four sets and 2 <muscle group> exercises with four sets.

For warming up I do push-ups (as many as possible in one go).

That's it.

And in order to not break something, I bought this book (link) with exercises for every muscle group.

Like Robert, I have my "gym" at home. It is very minimal and cheap. I think its value doesn't exceed more than 5 rolls of filament :D

Yeah, because I don't have any equipment (yet) to train them. But I shouldn't skip for too long or I'll adopt the reversed pear shape :)

You don't have the equipment? You have weights, right? (optional) And you have gravity? Squats, lounges, jump knee tucks, calf raises, sumos, pistols, kicks, jumps, albanian squats, leg raises on your side, "skaters", squatting while in warrior three pose, chair, one legged chair, wall squat. Do you need more? I got more :D

That routine sounds just what Wolverine does in this month issue of Mens Health magazine lol. At the moment, i am still FULL of all of those excuses you mentioned Rob lol, but each day is getting slightly better :) Tomorrow my new funky Nike watch will be delivered... IF it stops raining i`ll try and run a couple miles haha

You don't have the equipment? You have weights, right? (optional) And you have gravity? Squats, lounges, jump knee tucks, calf raises, sumos, pistols, kicks, jumps, albanian squats, leg raises on your side, "skaters", squatting while in warrior three pose, chair, one legged chair, wall squat. Do you need more? I got more :D

Well I had some trouble with the right knee and I didn't want to worsen it through inadequate exercises. But you are right, I'll need to tackle it and don't need extra equipment.

All these geeks training :mrgreen: :mrgreen: amazing

Or maybe we are just preparing for the Zombie apocalypse :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work guys. Me and my running mate have set a goal for in a year: run a semi marathon (21km). I started running in february after 2 years without any exercice. At that moment i could barely run 10minutes without needing to walk a bit.

Two weeks ago i did a test, i ran 45minutes and made 8.640 km i'm very happy with this because i was planning to try reaching 8km and it seemed hard to do.

Beware zombies here i come :geek:

Whoa!! Didier, that`s a long way. I don't even like driving that far haha :p

I know my first run is going to be a disaster, well possibly just a slow walk lol... but I look forward to getting anywhere near 10k mark.

I can see it already, ultimaker forum meetup, lots of fun, lots of printing, LOTS of beers ( not for Rob lol ).. and then a hungover run the morning after :)

i like how you put uppercase on LOTS for the beers :mrgreen:

First step for me is to go for a 11km run in a couple of weeks. Then continue training (i run mostly 2x 5km a week for the moment). I'll probably have to run longer distances soon.

For the moment since i began running i did this: (runtastic statistics):

OVERALL

Activities40

Distance209.89 km

Duration22:14:13

Calories19037 kcal

Elevation gain2119 m

Elevation loss2155 m

Yeah Didier, I love the stats! I`m going to pick up a nike+ watch today and start tracking using nikeplus.com I`m nervous lol

Hahahaha, Skint, I think I know just the right sport for you. It's an annual event called Bierathlon (beerathlon in English, lol) and consists of hiking/running up a mountain while drinking beer. A team of four people has to drink a crate of beer (20 0.5l bottles) before crossing the finish line. Unsurprisingly, this was invented by university students and has become very popular. There are usually 200+ teams participating. I know people who graduated in 2005 who still come back to participate. Doing it once was enough for me but it is a lot of fun.

haha, Cez, yeah sounds perfect !! :)

Its official !! I am SO unfit. The most unfit I have ever been lol.

Just done my first run ( well first run for 10 years anyway haha ). Just over 1 mile, took me 10 minutes!!! Still sweating!

Somebody should of reminded me how hard it is, and I would never have started :p

Yes you are. But you did what most don't - you started!

Keep it going and you will feel much better soon.

Yeah good point Nico, its taken me a while to build up the momentum and Im glad that first run is done. I have used my new sexy nike watch, and have an account on nike+ ( nikeplus.com ) if any body is on it...

The good news is... I already feel like going for the same run again, and beating the time ! :p

Edit: @ Didier Im catching you up :p

Activities: 1

Distance: 1.05mile

Duration: 10:25

Calories: 168

Nike Fuel Score: 419

I`m now wondering if a pint of guinness has less or more than 168 calories haha

guiness

I take the Guinness, you can keep the calories! Cheers! :cool:

Damn you Robert.. that`s just spiteful ! Haha

Then I guess I shouldn't post this? :D

45674814 calorie comparison 266x346

Morning. I`m aching.

lol

That's how it's supposed to be Skint. No pain no gain! ;)

In other news, E3 is starting right now for those who are interested:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch

(could be slow to load, they're getting hammered pretty damn hard)

So I bought some "solar film" to try to get the temperature down a bit in my bedroom. Started measuring and preparing to open the window up to clean it and install the film... bloody window is stuck. I KNEW there would be problems after they decided to paint the windows in the house *sigh*

Use a Stanley knife and carefully trim along the gap between frame and sash ;) if you can reach it that is.

Yeah, that's the problem, I can't reach :/ I'll have to get in contact with the landlord and have them get up there with a ladder. This is one of those rare occasions where living in an apartment makes things harder.

I don't want to get back to the Strength and Fitness discussion lol, BUT... with your brute strength Robert just Pull the window open and work about the paint afterwards :p