A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

It's a fairly large window and I was afraid that the flex in the window would make this whole thing a lot messier if I brute forced it (not that I have a whole lot of brute force to start with though :p ) I'll see if I can get a crack going and then lever it though and see if that works.

edit: Success. A combination of brute force and finess got 'er done. Now for the really boring part of cleaning BLEH.

Hey guys!

Just wanted to touch base with ya'll, I've been pretty occupied these last few days. I like the directions this non-specific thread has gone. I'm not much of an exercise person, but I'll share with you a secret to my physique. I do a lot of yard work! Having a large yard is a great form of exercise, you do a lot of hard work in the sun and have something beautiful to look at when done.

My last few days have been really busy! Last Friday a labmate and I went out to celebrate a successful test from the previous week, and I had my whole weekend planned out until...

I was eating breakfast Saturday morning and had what I thought would be a great idea. I was going to design a pulley system to open and close my screen door so my cat could freely go out onto the deck. I just needed something to open and close the screen door a small amount and something that was button activated; my cat currently touches a spot on her food dispenser to feed herself, so I figured I could train her to touch some buttons as well.

Anyway, I was happily designing and testing designing and testing all of Saturday, I got a little too involved; and it turns out not to work; blarp. I was trying to make something with what I just had on hand, and I definitely need to approach the problem differently. The bright side is that I had to make this gear with very fine teeth, and it worked perfectly on the very first try! I'll be posting a video of that later.

Then on Saturday evening, I get a call from my father telling me his flight is still on schedule. Double blarp, I totally forgot him and my stepmother were visiting for a couple of days. So I quickly designed an idea I had for a gift and printed it out, and it too worked on the very first try. I'll be posting pictures and a video of the gifts later as well.

Yeah, so about the only thing I did that I had planned was design and print a little stand for the stuff I regularly use in the bathroom; which I'll also be posting.

Also, on another note I have procured a UMO!!!! Here is a photo of a photo of them in my illuminated picture frame. The frame sits with me on my desk and it's nice to look at when I miss my printers.

84C8LBj.jpg

Anyway, I plan on spamming the post your latest print thread late this evening when I say my farewells to my parents.

One more also, I've been preparing a tutorial for how to design glasses frames for one's self after many inquires at the Maker Faire; I'll be posting that soon as well. I've got so many projects going on simultaneously; I feel like I need to clone myself .

Great to hear from you Aaron, you seem as busy as I am lately!! It`s nice to be busy, but I am looking forward to a rest.

Congrats on your UMO!! I`m kind of jealous... :shock: But im not really giving my UM2 the love it really needs at the moment.

I am working on a design job for a project I am looking at doing, and then importing from China and selling... anybody got a good Rack & Pinion gear generator I can use in Pro-e CREO lol ??

@ Aaron, cool picture!!

It is kinda inception like with the picture frame that has the Ultimaker 2 (and UMO) in it, and within the UM2 is a similar picture frame.. whuuuuuut.

Looking forward to see al your projects!!!

..- and your tutorial on the glasses.

Maybe we can also help you giving it a bigger buzz so more people can learn about it? :)

Right, I'll stick my neck out and expose my ignorance... what's an "UMO"? Googling it leads primarily to the place where young people go to ask about STDs and the like (due to google skewing the results towards Sweden), trying to angle it towards English results gives me military abbreviations and universities...

Ultimaker Original, Robert! As if you never played with such a machine...!!! :lol:

That's a UM1.

I read UM0 as UM [zero] and thought it might be a very early prototype.

Hangs head :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DOH! I blame it on the heat :p

Robert you're not alone i didn't understand UMO as well :mrgreen:

So i ordered some Faberdashery filament, UPS is doing funny stuff.

From UK to Brussels.

Then from Brussels to Koln Germany.

Then back to Brussels

Wonder where in Europe it will go before reaching my place ^^

My UM2 went on a trip to france.... :???:

And Happy Birthday Sanders by the way :)

awwww thank you!! :mrgreen:

Oh cool - Happy Birthday dude!

(and please excuse my "angry" pm - bad timing... If I'd knew, I'd hold off screaming until tomorrow :mrgreen: )

Ok, I haven't read it yet.. I will just leave it till tomorrow then.. ok? ;)

Congrats on getting older Sander :p

Just reporting that I finally got that solar film stuff installed on my bedroom window. I think it would've been easier as a two man job. Those professional installers sure make it look easy... But it's up there, time will tell if it was worth the effort (cloudy today, of course...).

Just finished my workout for the day and I can conclude that this damn nausea I get when doing tough resistance work doesn't seem to stop happening *sigh* I have to take frequent breaks or lift too light. Meh!

how is your breath circulation? (if that is the best word..) when doing heavy lifts?

Maybe you are starting to hyper ventilate?

(first test if wisdom does come with age..)

Just to chime in for a bit - I've never experienced nausea during workout. But maybe I don't push my body as hard as you do.

Good point Sander, I think for me it might be the opposite, semi-holding my breath perhaps. I'll try to make a concious effort of breathing more deeply next time.

Nicolinux, I do push myself quite hard, since it's only 30 minutes I figure I should make it count :D But it's only during resistance work (weight lifting) that it happens, not during cardio or cardio mixed with lighter lifting. I can easily push myself up to and hold at a 160 heartrate and be panting on the floor in a pool of sweat by the end and not feel bad during that stuff.

Ok, than it is differently than what I do.

I'll try it next time just for lols and see if nausea kicks in.

By the way, I feel the craziness level in the forum dwindling - where is Ian?

wasn't he settling down in his new place this week?

Yeah I think so.

@Skint, yeah I've definitely been busy. I'm always reading the threads via my emails even if I'm not responding. I want to spend so much time in the forum, but also want to do so many other printing things that I often have to think about how I want to split up my time.

I really love the UMO it's got a lot of great features, and I now understand why people like the extruder much; it seems pretty robust.

Interesting utilization of the printer Skint, I would love to see the finished product when you have the time.

@Didier Klein, definitely need to clone myself or improve my workflow :mrgreen:.

@SandervG, thanks! I originally printed the frame with the intent of putting the a picture of it and the printer inside the frame. I call the device Recursive Love. Also, definitely interested in spreading the news of how to make frames for one's self!! I think the main resource will be the dimensions and where to get lenses put into the frames. I still don't have a full hinge design, I've been really happy with just the small bit of wire I've been using. I have some design ideas I've been experimenting with that I'll be suggesting, but I won't be able to attest to their durability. I'll be interested in your opinion when I post the material.

Also, happy birthday! I hope you are finding yourself well and have a good time.

@IRobertI, :D, we all have our off days.

I'm trying to gain momentum for monthly print challenge threads. Here are some proposed rules if interested: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5836-monthly-challenge/?p=55810

I'm getting it started for next month and the more people the better, I think it would still be fun even if only a couple people participated in printing, but a lot of people voted.

Hello all my very wonderful friends :-) :-)

I hope your all doing really well.

As you know I started a new job as 3d designer for large industrial printers and paper cutting maschines (print, post and newspaper industry)

Big job and Im working on amazingly complicated and incredible german technology....

sorry I know as Mod I shoulnt say this... but... soooooo... sooooo f.......cking....cooooollll ! :-)

This is the kind of design work I dreamed about after finishing university with my BA Hons in Industrial Design.. Never got into that exact business but now... here I am,,,,,,, :-)

The GF is doing some further edication here in Leipzig and I am a little apartment room 3km from my factory... so in Leipzig at the weekends and down in very beautiful Bavaria monday to friday....

I love Leipzig but I have to say.. my irish obsession with nature and green and fields... and amazing mountains and waterfalls is truely catered for here in Bavaria.... :-) ahhhhhhh

The reason I'm not online at the moment is because where I am living . ... the internet and mobile connection is almost non existent and its going to take some time to setup internet in the apartment....

Also my company is very amazing and modern but its the only company I have ever worked for... where the normal workers have zero internet on their computers... sounds weird but for special security projects.. we cant have access to the outside world on our computers.. the information is a little too delicate ;-) lol

And being honest waiting 30 minutes to find reception in the middle of a hay field.. so I can some how start typing on the ultimaker forum... is not really doable at the moment...

So big sorry for being not here and not being able to help like I want... and also teaste and drive people crazy on the forum... like I want ;-)

But when I get the internet working.. then I can get back here... help and inject my unique flavour of happy irish crazyness........

If any of you ever want to get me... my private email is : ian.spring@gmail.com

Just shoot me a quick email and my trousers will start vibrating..... please email me ;-) LOLLLLL

Ok guys.. god bless and have a happy lovely 3d printing weekend... Have I missed anything good the last 2 weeks ?..... ultimaker 3... ultimaker 4.... ??

Last note.. Aaron !!!! send me an email please with your contact info and dates your in Berlin... if thats the weekend I will drive my irish ass up to the Big Smoke... and have a good laugh with you... would be brilliant !!

Ok guys... so.... take it easy pleasy... :-)