A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Hi guys.

So im getting big time into doing jogging sport.. im pulling off 3 times a week 20km laps and loving it.

Funny enough im not actually loosening weight like i I imagined but my muscles in my legs and ass are really tightening up. ... im now down to my last belt buckle whole... eek.... I think listening to Robert gabbing on about sports.. pushed me into it !! so blame Robert please for my tight sexy ass !!! :smile:

Also the new job is going great... brilliant detailed german engineering with absolutely crazy tolerances and levels of accuracy.... we are designing special connecting bolts at the moment for a one million euro printer for the big company...... :smile: and each bolt is down too .001mm accuracy.......

i love working with german engineering... if your going to do it right... let the germans show you how ! LOLL

Last funny note... i have a neigbour that lives beside my apartment.. nice chap.... i knew he had a girlfriend that was living with him but never spotted her...

Just did....

And........ she is smoking with all the fire alarms set off HOTTTTT.....

I almost wanted to stop her and take a photo... but i resisted.....

Damn........ I wanted to concentrate on work and sports and now I know a steaming hot..... oh baby light my fire bird is living 5 meters from......

going now to have a very cold shower....... LOLLLLL

big hugs guys !

Ian :smile:

GETTING BACK INTO IT QUESTIONS...

Because I have been unplugged from the system for a while with my move and new job.. I have a few silly little questions I would love you guys to help me with.

(1) Is there any new offers directly from ultimaker ? new products... heated plate for the ultimaker1 ?

(2) Does it seem like the forum is cooling down with activity ? Doesn't seem to be a big buzz from what I can see tonight ?

(3) Any news on what ultimaker is doing... new inventions.. improvements to existing designs... is quality and reliability getting better ?

(4) Is Ultimaker coming slowly down from the top of the HYPE CYCLE ? and trying to again and again reorganize themselves to deal with this... phase of growth ?

I know guys these questions probably are in the forum a thousand times before but I would like a quick litmus test of how things are going ?

Good night and cant wait to read this tread in the morning.

Big hugs.

Ian :smile:

Hi Ian,

Nice to see you're back!

I think we have some kind of summer "lull" on the forum at the moment. 3d printing is a winter sport...summer weather = less time at the workbench!

I really don't know whether UM has been able to cope with the problems of fast growth. many times one only sees the users with problems on the forum, not the ones where everything works perfectly.

I believe the dust is settling on some of the recent upheavals. I hope they got the delivery times and quality control issues right by now, I do not follow these things with any kind of regularity. I think its more interesting to see what people are doing with their machines.

I like the idea of having "work groups" where people get together and design a multirotor copter or some other device. Perhaps we will see more of that.

I have found that I tend to use my machines "in bursts" . Sometimes I have nothing for them for a month, and then at other times everything is running 24 hours a day.

My own summer project is a "hexacopter" drone for flying my Gopro camera. I shot a second hand machine on ebay, and I am modifying it at the moment, , making new parts for it on the printer. The 3d printing process is just perfect for that. The parts are lightweight and very strong.

The recent progress is just amazing on these things. Matchbox sized electronics contain all the parts to make the machine hold its position in 3d space, using six GPS satellites to calculate its orientation in real time. Plus the sensors and number crunching to stabilize the copter itself and the camera underneath. We live in a science fiction world. And 3d printing is part of that, its also a thing from an SF movie!

' I hope they got the delivery times and quality control issues right by now, I do not follow these things with any kind of regularity. I think its more interesting to see what people are doing with their machines.

I like the idea of having "work groups" where people get together and design a multirotor copter or some other device. Perhaps we will see more of that. '

The leadtime on the Ultimaker 2 & The Ultimaker Original is now around 2 weeks. So a lot of progress on that regard.

If you like the multirotor project be sure to join! :D If this proofs to be a success we will be sure to ignite more of these projects :)

In regard of the feeder, as Bas said we are working on improving the current feeder but small changes are already made (maybe unnoticed) and the firmware has also updated and from my point of view the amount of users who are experiencing underextrusion have decreased (not disappeared).

It is still a work in progress, but we have definitely not sat still :)

I have to say, what really pleases me in Ultimaker team is the openness of the communication. Even though their support is sometimes not the best you would expect, they are always open, honest and work sincerely hard to improve.

Just how many manufacturers would openly discuss a design of a key component with their customers community?

Way to go guys, just get better on the marketing - there's so much other major company's printers all around, and so relatively few Ultimakers to make a real buzz.

Re: forum activity. I took a look at the stats and we've been having a steady stream of about 900-1200 weekly posts since January.

Re: forum activity. I took a look at the stats and we've been having a steady stream of about 900-1200 weekly posts since January.

That is what I thought too actually but I didn't look up the stats yet.

... impressive numbers btw :cool:

Hi guys,

I'll be showing off my UM2 in a meetup in Liège (Belgium) this saturday evening. It's organised by a small Belgian Startup, not really sure what will happen as it's the first time they do this, but i will meet other 3d printer geeks with other type of printers.

I hope my UM2 will be running good as i had some light underextrusion lately :mad: :mad:

Too bad that's a bit out of the way or I would swing by :)

Hi Didier,

Have you already ever replaced the teflon part?

You could see if by modifying your profile in Cura would solve your under extrusion, or you can

visually check if your teflon part is still OK..

@Sanders, i just entered a support ticket this morning to have a new Teflon part i'm pretty sure it comes from there, but i'm not willing to take it apart before this weekend :)

I can solve my under extrusion if i disable retraction and of course don't print too fast. So i guess i will be able to show off a bit :)

@Blizz: Too bad... where are you from?

@Didier: From Antwerp :)

Might be a doable drive, but my French isn't that good ;)

:) The city of our dear friend Bart :) it's not that far but it will be full of french talking geeks ^^ i understand it can be quite scary :mrgreen:

Indeed. More scared by the french thing than the distance :p

Bloody hell, this heat! Am I the only one going nuts? My bedroom is at freakin 27.5C right now, sweating bullets just sitting down. I think I'm going to spend the rest of the night in the shower...

@Robert: One heated bed too much you mean? :???:

Thought of you guys in Northern Europe when I heard about the temperatures you have during the weather forecast. We will have a temperature maximum of 19°C on Monday. Which is about the temperature I have all year in the room where my UMs stand (basement). A good place to stay on hot days for more than one reason!

Okay so I downloaded a model for https://www.pinshape.com/items/586-3d-printed-desk-dock-for-iphone-5-5s with a sound chamber and started printing it with support disabled (the idea is that it is open so the sound can go through). About halfway up I suddenly realised that it would have to print the stand for the phone in mid-air, as there would be nothing to support it. Against better judgement I decided to let it continue and weirdly enough this happened:

Mid air 3

Mid air 2

Mid air

It only had the hole in the middle to start from. I think the only luck is that the back (where the phone rests again) starts a bit lower. The result is far from perfect, but still, funny that it actually worked. Now let's see if it can close the thing on top, same problem ;)

Well it came out better than imagined:

IMG 0869

While enjoying my COFFEE I thought about something I got in the mail this week that I wanted to show.

I signed up @ 3D Hubs pretty much the day after I got my UM2 and did their testprint to get a rating. This week there was this envelope in my mailbox that had the following in it:

Gift from 3D Hubs

Dunno what you guys think but I find it pretty awesome :)

(I got multiples of everything but it's not really needed to photograph all of the right)

I got them too when I joined 3DHubs.

Are you going to print Fairphone cases?

Haven't heard of yet so I looked it up.

I don't think it will be very interesting for me as I haven't had a single order yet since I signed up.

The interest in this neighborhood in 3d printing is not very big.

I wouldn't say that. If you print Fairphone cases, you get a few orders nearly for sure. However, they do not pay much for the cases so you would have to see it as a staging area for other orders.

Hey i want does stickers :) I didn't have a single request on 3dHubs so at least give me stickers ^^

So saturday i went to a small meeting organised by a young company in Liège (Belgium) the do Web Dev and some 3D printing. They do some workshops to build PrintrBots.

I brought my UM2 with me and after that they wanted one :mrgreen:

I came after a short ride, installed the printer, the spool, loaded a gcode on the sdcard and started printing immediately.

"Hey you don't need to relevel the plate after transportation?"

Nope :mrgreen:

Did two small prints to show, and brought some prints with me, they liked it a lot.

There were some other printers too, a LeapFrog V1 that is hacked and was in testing by one the guys there, nothing much because it was still a work in progress. It has a big ass buildplate that takes more than 30minutes to heat up to 100°c :shock:

Some Repraps also nice to see.

One came with a recent UM1, first time i saw one, it looks pretty cool, and printed quite well.

There also was a WITBox that looks pretty nice:

http://www.bqreaders.com/gb/products/witbox.html

But didn't have the chance to see a lot of it. But one print looked very neat.

It was a nice a meeting, first time i met some geeks who do the same geeky stuff as me :mrgreen: and after that i'm even more confident in choosing a UM2 :geek: :mrgreen:

@Didier I haven't had any orders either. You get the stickers if you print their "Marvin" for them to review. If you did that it might've been a recent change.

Cool that you liked the meeting, perhaps I'll overcome my fear next time :)