A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

And it is mostly up to one self too. I don't feel well when working with people that I am not remotely friends with. But knowing Ian, I'd say he is pretty safe in this regard :)

pm_dude: I have worked in "the sector" for over 6 years myself and I think the camaraderie there is completely different because you tend to spend a lot more time together. Plus most of the times the entire company is working on the same big project with the same goal, in most companies there are a lot of different departments/projects and whatnot. It all depends ons what the company does I think.

In any case, I've had my belly full of the long hours and low pay and migrated to things more profitable and wife-friendly :)

Hmmm... I whish some guys in Tucson, Arizona would also have some kind of culture...

They broke into my car last night and stole my navi and the bag with our vacation souvenirs.

On the other hand: would love to see those guys when switch on the navi - German language and a battery life of 5 min (they forgot the power adapter *gg*)...

@Blizz Hahaha. Yes there are some pitfalls but not all places are hardcore on overtime.

@pm_dude the ones where I worked weren't either, but usually you work in that sector because you are really driven and love it. The overtime is not considered as that, just as long days. It was for me in any case. It wase never enforced :)

i think there are great companies to work for and companies that pay the bills.....

my first company after Uni was crap money but the best craziest work atmosphere you could ever want... simple things like the mom of the owner arriving with fresh cookies for lunch time.....its sometimes the little things that matter.....

but I have to put on smiles for Saturday... big day.... The Release Party for my First Book.

Over 30 very hungry and thirsty people waiting to see the book in hand.

We are doing a big barbeque outside and then against the walls of the neighbors house. different projectors beaming up video clips and images from the book and research project... Then later in the night we are setting up a 1941 war time film projector in the middle of the garden and showing one of the only know original color home movies 16mm from Leipzig city... in the world....

And a lot of champagne !!!

I need to sell about 10,000 books to pay back for this party alone.. LOLLLLL

wish me good luck... have to collect all the meat in Bavaria and then hit the road... quick... setup tomorrow night and at 3 tomorrow... party starts.... :-)

spring_leipzig.jpg

a friend of mine in England just did a super job in translating the book description to English for me... THANKS DANIEL !!

Leipzig In Color

Early Color Photographs: 1937 – 1947

Collected and edited by Ian Spring and Ronny Ecke

96 pages with 85 Color images

24 x 27 cm, Hard cover, Dust Jacket and sewn binding.

ISBN 978-3-942473-96-5

19,90 Euro (D), 20,90 Euro (A), 24,90 sFr

http://www.lehmstedt.de/spring_leipzig.htm

Published September 2014

In 1936 when the first color film became commercially available in Germany, many photographers enthusiastically explored this new technology in colors never seen before. With the exciting opportunities offered by the new medium, amateur photographers passionately captured the the landscape, architecture and everyday life of their world. After many years of collecting, Ian Spring has assembled over 24,000 images that bring an unusual perspective to the world of the 1930’s and 40’s. A special part of his collection is a fascinating grouping of images from Ian’s adopted hometown of Leipzig. These are published here for the first time along with several other early color images from the collection of the Stadtgeschichtlichen Museum, Leipzig (City Museum of History). Ronny Ecke has arranged the images and provided the historical commentary.

If I hear those stories, I'm really glad Ultimaker has an awesome company culture. Pfew.

I was gonna say.. I am so happy to work for Ultimaker!

Everyday is a new great adventure. (he wrote from his hotelroom in London after attending the first day of the 3D Printshow).. oh.. we won 2 awards!! YAAAAAY!!!

Both best consumer product and best software (Cura) .. (congrats Daid!!)

And congratulations to Pussykrew for winning artist of the year!

Congratulations!

And congratulations to Pussykrew for winning artist of the year!

Reminds me of the episode of Game of Thrones where Khal Drogo pours molten gold over Viserys head.

Congratz to the Ultimaker team for winning two awards! Your challenge for next year: win the award for best customer service! ;)

who won best customer care anyway ?

Ian :-)

http://3dprintshow.com/global-awards/

don't think it really exists ....

I think 3d printing is maybe getting into my head just a bit to much ... walking hydepark on sundaymorning ... saw this art and all I was thinking was "overhang" :-P

overhang

I think 3d printing is maybe getting into my head just a bit to much ... walking hydepark on sundaymorning ... saw this art and all I was thinking was "overhang" :-P

I'm glad you didn't try to rotate it in order to avoid support... :lol:

Na, cut it into two pieces and glue!

I was in the office this morning with a copy of my new book. And showed it to a few people... WOW... half the people started pushing money into my hands... pre ordering copies... the general idea was that a lot of German families are relatives in Leipzig and Dresden and this would be a perfect birthday or Christmas present.... so I had more than 120 euros on my office table today just from a few wowwss and uuuuussss.

I know the next sentence is a total advert for my book... but I am glowing with pride and still cant believe I actually got it done... yippeee :-)

If anyone wants a copy... its up on amazon today... :-)

YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Leipzig in Farbe: Frühe Farbfotografien 1937-1947

http://www.amazon.de/Leipzig-Farbe-Fr%C3%BChe-Farbfotografien-1937-1947/dp/3942473968/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=leipzig+in+farbe+ian+spring

Are you planning to publish books about other cities as well? People without family ties to Leipzig need Christmas presents, too :-P

Are you planning to publish books about other cities as well? People without family ties to Leipzig need Christmas presents, too :-P

.. you have a 3D Printer!! ;)

Wait, my Ultimaker can travel back in time and take pictures? Is that the upgrade kit you're releasing at MakerFaire NY? :-P

If you can fit within the build plate area I would recommend to give it a try!

.. but I can not be held responsible for.. .. anything! :p

Getting poked in the eye by the hot nozzle. Thats the secret :D

.. you have a 3D Printer!! ;)

Historical photos and 3d printers can happily live together... 3d printing is like the happy neighbor everyone wants... the not so goody goody version of Ned Flanders... HEHEHE lol

Ian :-)