A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Hah Skint, I should sent you a picture of our office.. I am surrounded by Ultimaker's!

(I won't now.. not until the 'clean desk policy' gets more ground here..) I am ashamed of myself every morning I enter the office ;)

I am currently very busy preparing for the 3D Printshow NYC. We just came out of Madrid and Berlin which were great to kick of the events-season, NYC will be huge.

We have a few debuts coming, one of them being an all new fresh booth :eek: :ph34r:

Anyone planning on going to 3D Printshow NYC?

Did some proof of concept prototyping today, having a 3D printer that can print out parts for your design is sweet :p

Proof of concept

Inside

Original, Manual, and half an hour tumbling

The silver one is the tumbler one after an hour. I had stainless steel screws, no brass :(

@Titus. At what speed did you rotate? Did you add any liquids?

I rotated at the speed that it was able to rotate, and that it didn't start spinning like a centrifuge. In other words, no clue :p

I ended up letting it rest on my bathroom floor, with some sewing oil between the floor and canister. I didn't add any liquids at all(be careful when opening the canister). I did a run with some polisher in it too. Didn't turn out that well, messed up balance, didn't tumble it that long, print got soaked when rinsing, and broke during final polishing run by hand because I didn't gave it time to dry.

I'll build a more reliable setup after the exams, get some brass screws and start the real challenges like the owl and my tank

Pffft, just found the new forum. I must say I'm not liking it so far :(

Hi Titus, thank you for your feedback.

If you have any feedback that may help improving it from your perspective please let us know in the feedback thread.

We understand it may take some time to get used to it, that is always the case with new things that may interfere with existing workflows. Give it a chance and I am sure you will like it :)

I am currently waiting in the my hotel for a shuttle that will take me back to the Netherlands. Had a very successful show in NYC, 3D Printshow.

We used our new booth and it got a lot of positive feedback. It will be our new default booth, so we will also have it set up in Bay Area MakerFaire. Anyone going?

NYC has been great for us, but at the same time looking forward getting back home again, and normal days at the office ..oh wait.. that has never been the case :p

Hi Sander,

I heard some interesting things regarding NYC 3D print show, and Cura. Regarding the feedback, here's some initial feedback I gave:

https://ultimaker.com/en/ultimakercom-feedback/view/11734-general-forum-feedback?page=2#reply-104543

To be fair and honest, I doubt I'll be continuing using the forum like I was in it's current state. I'll give it a chance, but it definitely feels totally wrong.

Unrelated but related: I have no clue why I was level 1, and now I added my name, became level 27 :p

I may never have been as active a user as Titus, but I agree with him. The new forum looks like a classic attempt at fixing something that was not broken; Ultimaker had an active, functional community, and I am affraid you may have broken it in trying to make it somehow "better".

This started by turning the community off for a week. For your loyal community members ("stamgasten") this is like closing down the pub where they hang out all day to meet their friends. And now you've reopened an uncomfortably remodeled boutique restaurant with a bar and kitchen that are not yet working quite right, after requiring all patrons to get a new id-card.

I hope a lot of the fixes being suggested now will be implemented really really quickly before yhe forum looses most of its stamgasten that made the community so vibrant and functional.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new forum Ultimaker :)

@Titus, thank you for sharing the feedback. It is valuable that you wrote down the things you didn't like and how you think they could be improved. Obviously, we can not implement everything everyone says, but we are open to suggestions and if necessary changes can be made.

Stick with us, share your feedback and together we can make this forum a little bit more Titus ;)

@ahoeben, thank you for your feedback. The argument to fix something that isn't broken has been used before when we mentioned we would make some changes to the forum. Back then I continuously replied that we do not want to fix it (indeed, it wasn't broken) but we did feel there was room for improvement. And we still feel the same. Closing down the forum was mandatory for all the content migration, if we didn't do this none of all the valuable content would be accessible now.

We are currently making an inventory of the suggestions and will prioritize them soon. In order for us to do this, we do need some more accurate feedback. Although I understand your feeling, a reference to a bar / restaurant is not something we can use. Try to pinpoint what you think feels wrong, and how it could be better. If it is already suggested by a different user like their idea. Prevent double posts and give traction to valuable ideas. Looking forward hearing from you.

I may never have been as active a user as Titus, but I agree with him. The new forum looks like a classic attempt at fixing something that was not broken; Ultimaker had an active, functional community, and I am affraid you may have broken it in trying to make it somehow "better".

This started by turning the community off for a week. For your loyal community members ("stamgasten") this is like closing down the pub where they hang out all day to meet their friends. And now you've reopened an uncomfortably remodeled boutique restaurant with a bar and kitchen that are not yet working quite right, after requiring all patrons to get a new id-card.

I hope a lot of the fixes being suggested now will be implemented really really quickly before yhe forum looses most of its stamgasten that made the community so vibrant and functional.

https://xkcd.com/1172/ ;)

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?
    The argument to fix something that isn't broken has been used before when we mentioned we would make some changes to the forum. Back then I continuously replied that we do not want to fix it (indeed, it wasn't broken) but we did feel there was room for improvement.

The problem is, you did not improve the status quo, you replaced it by something else altogether. If you want to improve something that is already functional, it is almost never a good idea to throw out everything and start over. Here's a good read-up on that:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

I'll continue posting issues and liking other members' issues as I have already done. This topic does not seem to be a particularly good place to list specific complaints on the new forum.

Edited by Guest

@ahoeben, thank you for your reply.

Indeed, lets not hijack this thread.

Looking forward reading your upcoming suggestions!

To get back on topic; how was your day today? :)

The problem is, you did not improve the status quo, you replaced it by something else altogether. If you want to improve something that is already functional, it is almost never a good idea to throw out everything and start over. Here's a good read-up on that:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

I strongly disagree with what the author of the blog has to write. Yes, there have been companies that f*cked up by re-writing, but rewriting code because its a mess (even though it works) has a very good reason; Every new feature you add in messy code costs exponentially more. Yes you have a product that works, but its so damn hard to add new stuff.

The examples he gives of bad code are the easy ones, as if those are the only mistakes that make it messy. Those mistakes make it a bit meh, not oh dear god what have you done?!?

Well, the author is not arguing against cleaning up messy code, he argues that there are other (better) ways to make code less messy than by throwing all functioning code out and starting over, making decisions (good and bad) all over again. Having said that, ofcourse I am dying to try out Pink Unicorn ;)

Let's face it, this website is not Netscape of yore, nor is it Digg. I'm already starting to get used to how it is, and am happy to see you are open to suggestions and are actively improving it.

My day was ok, today is looking better. I don't drink much coffee though...

Sometimes the structure is flawed. YOu might be able to clean up one room, or even all of them (to steal the architecture metaphore) but you cant fix the fundaments that the house was built on.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for asking. It's stopped raining, so things are looking up.

I have been a bit busy lately, so have only just realised that I have not received any emails from the forums that I have been following. So logged in and just amazed at what I have found.

What happened to the old one? I always feel that change is not easy but it happens, so just get used to it. Particularly after Microsoft does it to the new version of word or excel, and you have to hunt through the menus again to find what you know is there some where.

Now starting to find my way around here again. Are there any instructions about how to navigate the new system, see the thread topics and get the follow links going again?

Hi all

I`m trying to get used to this new forum. But ouch it is not too user friendly.

Well, I finally feel somewhat human again. Been sick since Tuesday night last week and have spent most of my time in bed or zombiefied watching tv-shows while coughing, blowing my nose and shivering (had pretty high fever a couple of days I think, woke up to uncontrollable shaking at 4AM one night, that was fun!). But today I feel mostly ok, well, except for a wisdom tooth that decided it was time for the yearly move so it hurts to swallow and my gums are swollen...

There, now I've pitied myself for a bit, feels better :p

I want the chat room T.T

I`m trying to get used to this new forum.  But ouch it is not too user friendly.

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Try IRC

I want the chat room T.T
    Edited by Guest