A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

On facebook Ultimaker linked to a Dutch tv show where they showed a 3d printed violin.

Now there have been others before, mainly electric ones, but this one looked quite printable :O

Had a go at google and found the original site: http://www.hovalin.com/make/

I must say, I am SO tempted to try to make this. Not sure what material yet though, carbon, woodfill, or just a PLA/nGen/XT(and which color)

Do they also provide .the stl files for musical skill and talent?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

No, but by modifying the gcode you could have your Ultimaker play some tunes for you ;)

It probably won't sound very violinish, but I think it is as close as we can get by providing music through an Ultimaker ;)

I work at home currently doing freelance CAD etc which is OK,  but I kind of miss working in a large team with big targets etc lol

So uh, how do you feel about living in the Netherlands? ;)Ultimaker is pretty much always looking for new people.

Haha nallath, if I was a little closer I would pop in for coffee and a chat ;). If you ever need a store opening in the Midlands UK let me know, i`ll run with it for you lol.

• 2 weeks later...

been prototyping a dust-suction system for the shapeoko3, think I made it all a bit to heavy... printed with the 0.8.

Still need to add a sort of round brush around the mill. Want to make so of a 2 part click-on brush so i can see the mill when starting a job. Any suggestions are welcome..... maybe a round brush from a vacuumcleaner cut in 2 halfs?

so1.thumb.jpg.271b327badd8067b0d3b2b5cfac58182.jpg

so2.thumb.jpg.614cfe6968339bf0fd5ecdfd0b403e58.jpg

SO3.thumb.jpg.dbe559f393f71cea83a623e82af2a9f9.jpg

so1.thumb.jpg.271b327badd8067b0d3b2b5cfac58182.jpg

so2.thumb.jpg.614cfe6968339bf0fd5ecdfd0b403e58.jpg

SO3.thumb.jpg.dbe559f393f71cea83a623e82af2a9f9.jpg

Still need to add a sort of round brush around the mill. Want to make so of a 2 part click-on brush so i can see the mill when starting a job.  Any suggestions are welcome..... maybe a round brush from a vacuumcleaner cut in 2 halfs?

Perhaps you can use the solution of the famous Mr. Heckendorn as an inspiration?

approx. from 01:40 on:

Perhaps you can use the solution of the famous Mr. Heckendorn as an inspiration?

That looks pretty good. Beware of using plastics for a curtain/brush though, make sure the material is not static build-up prone.

• Like 1

That looks pretty good. Beware of using plastics for a curtain/brush though, make sure the material is not static build-up prone.

looks good indeed... any tip for a material better than plastic? The plastic curtain is easy to make...

You can get ones simular to this that you can bend into the shape you want.

• Like 1

Having issues today with Cura. Its doing wierd things to a model :( Not sure why now, as I have printed the same model a few times before without issue.

Have decided to try out a few new slicers, currently running the same model with Slic3r, so far it does not do the wierd stuff to the model so crossing fingers ;) Its strange seeing a completely different slicer perform compared to Cura!

On onother cura note.. I am still using build 15.02.01 which I found to be the more stable. I installed build 15.04.04 the latest proof version/...and it added over 3 hours to a build compared with 15.02.01!!

Anyway....enjoy your day :p

Look at what I just found on my door step!20160304_141800.thumb.jpg.eb922697a252db1247a30d14d7b9bad2.jpg

Wohoo

20160304_141800.thumb.jpg.eb922697a252db1247a30d14d7b9bad2.jpg

• Like 5

Look at what I just found on my door step

Wohoo

with your tiny prints that should last you a lifetime :)
    • Like 3

Nice! That`s a healthy amount of filament ;)

Yeah. It's the 32 rolls I won in the time lapse contest.

Can't wait to try some of them out.

• Like 2

Yeah. It's the 32 rolls I won in the time lapse contest.

Can't wait to try some of them out.

WOW! I am NOT jealous ;p

• Like 1

Well deserved price! enjoy @Labern ;)

I (right) had a great weekend with some of the original e-nable people.  Jon Schull is the founder but he didn't come but his friends Skip Meetze (left) (a retired engineer doing e-nable design full time) and Peregrine Hawthorn (center) (one of the first people with a 3d printed prosthetic - I think he and his dad started doing this before e-nable came about).  They drove together the 6 hours to visit me this past weekend and we had a great time and I "tuned" up their printers from barely extruding to as-good-as-new (we did thorough before and after testing to prove it).  I gave them some free filament from Sander and some other minor freebies.  Good times:

e1.thumb.jpg.e5f1f08913ee8460a058ad76db1f79b6.jpg

e1.thumb.jpg.e5f1f08913ee8460a058ad76db1f79b6.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 8

In the photo above Peregrine built his own hand - I think it's his 5th version and wow - very practical but look at those talons - very good for pulling a glove on and off his other hand.

I think this is the most well crafted 3d printed object I've ever seen. ABS and then vapor smoothed, the leather work is impressive and he used lots of brass parts. Somewhat steam-punk - somewhat Renaissance style - somewhat modern of course.

@GR5 a beard looks good on you! Hopefully you had a good time, I am sure Skip had a lot of interesting stories and developments to share.

What are you holding in your hands?

Does Peregrine hand has claws?

I am happy you finally got together! :)

Here's a closeup - the black cabling is push/pull - very stiff - 1mm diameter fishing line. He has no elastics or springs as he can push or pull and the hand always holds it's current position with no force if you need to apply no force.

e3.thumb.jpg.66fdbceb4e071bee49e0e045d7a38ca7.jpg

e3.thumb.jpg.66fdbceb4e071bee49e0e045d7a38ca7.jpg

In the photo above Peregrine built his own hand - I think it's his 5th version and wow - very practical but look at those talons - very good for pulling a glove on and off his other hand.

I think this is the most well crafted 3d printed object I've ever seen.  ABS and then vapor smoothed, the leather work is impressive and he used lots of brass parts.  Somewhat steam-punk - somewhat Renaissance style - somewhat modern of course.

Did you took any more close up pictures? Sounds really impressive.

I saw his hand device over a year ago where he also had the leather work and it already was amazing!

Lol, second time in a row where you answer my question before I have asked it :p

I'll just stop posting for a few minutes :p

Wow this sound awesome. Does he have a close-up picture of the hand?

What's in my hand?  Skip gave me a hand just for this picture (it's a pun in English).  Skip brought tons of show-and-tell and we are holding a few of the things he showed me.  Skip does lots of thermal forming - he tends to print everything thin and flat on the bed, then heats it in boiling water and rolls it around a tube of the correct diameter.

More details about Peregrine and his hands here:

http://enablingthefuture.org/2015/08/12/interview-with-peregrine-%E2%80%A2-e-nabling-the-future/

Edited by Guest