A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Awww gr5 I couldnt take any pics as my phone died long before I got there :(.

Lol Sander, almost said that yeah! I was meant to talk to them about potential future work and some collaboration, but spent most of our time talking about how ace the UM2 is :) They are planning on possibly purchasing the extended too!

Today was victorious! Haha, I got the software working for the new MQTT cloud at e-NABLE. This means that the beginnings of web based hand / server communications of small data chunks (i like my data chunky!) is now tested and working int he hand to server path. Next we need to do server to hand and hand to hand, but not before adding a 9DOF sensor and maybe even a camera.

That's a lot of acronyms and I'm deep into the project ATM, just know that it works! It works! It works! And just in time for Friday!

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew what you was going on about LesHall :p

Lol skint, let me explain. e-NABLE is that charitable organization that makes the plastic hands for kids (and adults) who have upper limb differences such as the birth defect that causes 1 in 20,000 kids to have no fingers on one hand. They grow up shy about their limb difference due to teasing from other kids, but when they get an e-NABLE hand - for free - t;hey become temporarily the coolest kid on the block - what's cooler than a robotic hand for a kid?

Well I do R&D as an e-NABLE volunteer, and my thing is adding electronics to the hands. The latest thing is adding IoT so the hands can "Phone Home" with usage data as well as communicate with each other and with peripheral devices.

I was just in a great mood because I got the hand's electronics talking with the server's MQTT (pronounced "mosquito") messaging protocol. Such things are a mystery to me, networking and communications, so I was elated to have gotten it to work. So now you know what I was on about!

Les

Make history!

p.s. I am further elated by my Ultimaker 2+ printer, it's truly the cat's meow!

(^.^)~ mew

• Like 1

Wow that is very impressive!!

Care to share some of your work and progress here on the forums?

You are one of the reasons where at some point people start removing their own limbs because prosthetics will be way cooler and more advanced than a regular plain hand. mehhh. :p

Wow that is very impressive!!

Care to share some of your work and progress here on the forums?

You are one of the reasons where at some point people start removing their own limbs because prosthetics will be way cooler and more advanced than a regular plain hand. mehhh. :p

Sure, I can share technical details especially related to the 3D printing aspects of the work, but also the electronics and software that I am stumbling to create. It's not just me either, several people are helping out, most notably Ro Ortiz who is sort of the keeper of e-NABLE's web programming. Maybe it might inspire some folks into helping out?

Where should I post it?

I guess 'what have you made' would be a good place?

Ah, spring, so close to summer, isn't it nice?

IMG_20160428_184131702.thumb.jpg.095eb8a0345f074ae6ba3fe0bb740e13.jpg

cover_1444139326.jpg.8eae42a7a0d6d094f548650c23220e95.jpg

IMG_20160428_184131702.thumb.jpg.095eb8a0345f074ae6ba3fe0bb740e13.jpg

cover_1444139326.jpg.8eae42a7a0d6d094f548650c23220e95.jpg

• Like 2

We have hail but not snow :p Is this from today??

Yeah, it went from spring to winter in about 2-3 hours.

We had about 4 cm of snow in the north of the Netherlands also :)

I don't know the company, I have no idea if they're any good, all I know is that I have this voucher and I have no need for it. US only I think.

If someone grabs and uses it, let me know so I can remove it.

[media-thumb=15134][/media-thumb]

[media-thumb=15135][/media-thumb]

After a few days of sunshine I decided to register my motorcycle at the town office. Clear sunny skies. Walk out the door....snow flurries. Very well played, Mother Nature.

Snow? No, no idea. :-)

Mezada, the Dead Sea, today.

WP_20160428_12_52_31_Rich.thumb.jpg.abdc25ab3c35e628f699eca6e7ec2bbb.jpg

WP_20160428_12_52_31_Rich.thumb.jpg.abdc25ab3c35e628f699eca6e7ec2bbb.jpg

no snow but sticky, smelly algae foam......

P1200734.thumb.jpg.4d0af53eaf40adc659bfd3555276fbc1.jpg

P1200734.thumb.jpg.4d0af53eaf40adc659bfd3555276fbc1.jpg

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

All of the sudden the rain we have had is not that bad after all :p

@peggyb, juk, smelly foam! I can smell it just thinking about it!

Edited by Guest

Lol skint, let me explain.  e-NABLE ....  

(^.^)~  mew

haha Les, the e-NABLE bit I do understand...its all that techy electronic language you speak that bamboozles me lol

Lol skint, let me explain.  e-NABLE ....  

(^.^)~  mew

haha Les,  the e-NABLE bit I do understand...its all that techy electronic language you speak that bamboozles me lol

OK skint, I'm going to explain it in more non-electronics-expert terms over in "what have you made" as per Sander's suggestion. You can find the convo there in a jiffy.

Les

Make history!

GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO! Yay! :) Makerfaire Bay Area!

If anyone on the forums lives in the Bay area please come visit me at Makerfaire. Message me in private and I'll give you a way to reach me during Makerfaire. I love meeting people from the forums. I think Sander might be there, right? And I hear Iris will be there. :)

I'll mostly be at the booth but occasionally won't and if you message me I'll hurry back to the booth. My wife and kids are going to this also - their first Makerfaire (although mostly they want to meet with friends - bleh - how can friends compete with giant steel fire breathing Octopus?).

• Like 2

May the 4th be with you!

• Like 2

May the 4th be with you!

I see what you did there!

It was with me, I made some progress on two projects and interacted with some nice people, some not so nice but what ya gonna do? I started out thinking of teaching a class on building a WiFi scanner then someone sort of led me to the realization that I could make a WiFi locator - even better! And I have all or most of the hardware to do it :)

hi guys.

because iv been gone so long.. the user forum has changed a lot.

So from what I can see the Coffee chat Tread is now pushed down to a normal tread and not pinned... little pity as it was a nice reminder to people to take a minute and say hi :)

One question.. is the forum is a little more quiet now as what I rememeber before.. or is it just so .... clean white that you dont really find the activity anymore... ?

Ian :)

• Like 2

Hi Ian, the coffee corner is probably a bit quiet, but I don't think the forum in general is.... though my feeling is it varies a bit day by day.... might also mean people better know how to find help, get better at using google :) or just have less issues.....

hi guys.

because iv been gone so long.. the user forum has changed a lot.

So from what I can see the Coffee chat Tread is now pushed down to a normal tread and not pinned... little pity as it was a nice reminder to people to take a minute and say hi :)

One question.. is the forum is a little more quiet now as what I rememeber before.. or is it just so .... clean white that you dont really find the activity anymore... ?

Ian :)

Hey man! Good to see you back (at least for a bit...) How's life treating you?