A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Hi Ian, don't worry your legacy is still intact ;)The Coffee chat tread is still sticky! (an alternative label for pinned)

Why did you think otherwise?

The forum is very active still indeed! Obviously things change like UltiArjan suggests. Our support grows, the resource pages become more conclusive and the products become more mature. So the nature of conversation is probably different as when you were last involved :)But still plenty of interesting stuff!

Well as a newcomer, I'd rather see what Sander calls a "mature" forum than the opposite. Consider the ESP8266 forum - a wonderful technology so disruptive that people are flocking together to use it, well when I went to read it there was so much asking for help it seemed like the whole forum was filled with only that! No content!

Now clearly that was and is not the case, just the nature of the product being so powerful, so amazing, and so new. Just wait ti Ultimaker releases a metal printer or somesuch, that'll crank up the heat (so to speak)!

Les

Les make it happen!

So I was able to SQUEEZE my new Tormach CNC mill into my small garage. YAY

Now time to make some printer parts :)

SAM_1488.thumb.JPG.8ca3a8158ae32265be8c95e1ecc50783.JPG

• Like 2

Yep. Well I hope to run a bit of a business in the end and I already have people lining up wanting bit made for them. But they will have to wait for me to learn how to use this thing properly. Its i bit more involved then 3D printing.

Is this also helpful in your special project? :D:p

Sure is, and Here is my first part. 9 more to go.

SAM_1516.thumb.JPG.4cca499a4994c32c64eaa07d0690f936.JPG

SAM_1517.thumb.JPG.742146c8e68d487160e3fe33a627adea.JPG

All other parts i required are all prepped and made.

SAM_1516.thumb.JPG.4cca499a4994c32c64eaa07d0690f936.JPG

SAM_1517.thumb.JPG.742146c8e68d487160e3fe33a627adea.JPG

• Like 1

powerful tool~

@labern

what software do you use? (CAD / CAM) any good tips/sources on feeds and speeds?

Tormach is a great machine, there's a NYCNC channel in YouTube showing his many projects using it.

I'd love to have one of these and upgrade from what I am using. Congrats!

I use Onshape and Sprutcam.

Fusion 360 has lots of great features and has its own CAM but coming from a solidworks background I find onshape more intuitive to use and I don't want to spend many hours learning yet another piece of software. Tormach have a profile for sprutcam with their machine models for simulation, lots of videos and 4th axis support (which i cant wait to try) so I thought it was the best bet for starters as I have never used CAM. Onshape has a free 3d cam which I'm yet to try.

I found a lot of speeds and feeds calculators on the net but most only have imperial so I got the G-wizard trial. It's really good. You can create a tool library and enter all your machine capabilities and it will spit out what's best for your machine. Tormach also have a profile for it which makes it even better but g-wizard  have other mills and router profiles also.

@ian - hey I miss you guy! I wish you were going to netherlands so I could meet you this summer.

The forum is mostly busy with new people asking for help - nothing has changed there much but there are maybe 4 threads with AMAZING things going on. foehnsturm is particularly impressive in his feats:

soluble support:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20293-any-experiences-with-dual-extrusion-and-pva#reply-144560

converting UMO or UM2 to dual printing without drips:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=1

tinker marlin (allows things like continuing after failed print and much more):

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/7436-more-information-during-print

get tinker marlin here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

• Like 1

Morning guys.

Thank you for the nice words :)

Its good to be back and say hello to old friends :)

Its very nice to hear that with the development and big improvements in quality in the ultimaker products that the simple questions are dieing down.. also down to the better customer FAQ and things like that... so for ultimaker BRAVO !! and to the Moderators also... BRAVO :)

Im also quietly using an ultimaker 2 extended the last months with my client at the moment. Printing electric motor boat parts for testing...

About getting to the Neatherlands... when and what is happening this year ?

Best wishes.

Ian :)

• Like 1

@SandervG

Just got a notification from an upcoming event:

"1 juni 2016: Debut Bedrijvendag TU Delft"

Do you have more information, as far as I know the bedrijvendagen are not in june?

Just playing around... in the true sense of filling every niche, like in automotive..... the UM2GOextended.... who knows, I may attempt building one someday :)

UMGOex.thumb.png.0c7aed2e00d0127b359f73500b10d664.png

UMGOex.thumb.png.0c7aed2e00d0127b359f73500b10d664.png

• Like 1

Ultimaker is turning into the new Apple! Same gadget just slightly smaller, bigger, rounded edges lol

The "community weekend" people have all been invited and is roughly a few days before July 1, 2016. However usually Sander invites "anyone" for one night during that time period - we meet at a bar typically. I don't know what Sander has planned for this summer but I'm sure you will be invited (probably 2 days before!) and I am sure he would love to see @ian. And anyone else on the forum. Right now Sander is traveling to USA but maybe next week you can bug him about if there will be a day when people can all meet at some bar during the "community weekend" and meet the "famous people from the forum".

Speaking of meeting Ultimaker forum people -- is anyone going to makerFaire bay area? I will be there - if you are going send me a message! We can share contact info such that I make sure I run over to the UM booth when you visit.

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

20160522_150118.thumb.jpg.9f2ac9ffd84a7dfedcdbeb160ce0a35e.jpg

Spend some time this weekend at the Radboud University Hospital to help a team in the "Hacking Health Nijmegen" event. The team was focusing on improving orthopedic shoes, I supported making a 'prototype of a prototype' by scanning a guy's foot...

The whole thing is in the idea phase but we did win one of the prizes, being support hours from a professional in the field, so a pretty nice outcome for the guy who took this initiative. If you have any expertise in orthopedic shoe design I can bring you into contact with him....

scan.thumb.png.2f1cfe78d4c09620aad2ce96ba7de359.png

@HH_Nijmegen.png.422e76ac023f8b3319db702745200de3.png

20160522_150118.thumb.jpg.9f2ac9ffd84a7dfedcdbeb160ce0a35e.jpg

scan.thumb.png.2f1cfe78d4c09620aad2ce96ba7de359.png

@HH_Nijmegen.png.422e76ac023f8b3319db702745200de3.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I can finally tell about a project i was part of :)

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160528-dutch-design-studio-3d-print-a-scaled-down-ship-replica-from-rotterdam.html

This project involved 3D printing of a large scale VOC ship "De 7 Provinciën"

The idea was to make a old ship model with modern techniques, and the whole hull and most of the details were printed as one large print.

Because of time constraint I offered to help, and I painted the whole hull in 5 days, but was not able to get the last color wash done, so the colors of the details all looks a bit too bright :)

Base paint with priming color for the oil paint

IMG_1847.JPG

After the oil paint is was applied, and some details colors painted.

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

And the final result before it was picked up to have all the masts and sails and loose details added.

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 10

That is one beautiful print. What kind of printer was used?

• Like 1

outstanding work!

Is it going to be on display somewhere?

Totally awesome print and really nice paint job.

My daughter did a nice family vacation video of our san francisco trip - this link starts at the makerfaire section.  

Capture.thumb.PNG.06679338f6d3f9cbe041b2b640a1dee1.PNG

Note the 1 second of drone footage over the Ultimaker booth at the 2:14 mark.

Capture.thumb.PNG.06679338f6d3f9cbe041b2b640a1dee1.PNG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2