A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

It is all part of the Ultimaker Exhibition :p We are just trying some things to see how they work :p .. you think a T-rex is overdoing it a little bit..?

Here is the story in case you missed it!

Edited by Guest

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

All the T-Rex parts were already printed and painted to fit the skeleton,

but I saw the most if not all were printed in small segments and added to each other.

not as long as the z-unlimited could go, I think they kept the prints to be able to print in working hours, and seem to be around 15 cm high

A few had a little pillowing on the outside, where you could see the fill pattern, but only in reflection of the light.

As far as I have read, they 3D scanned/ CT Scanned parts en mirrored/printed these.

there is a schematic at the exhibition that shows what is real / printed / replicas from other skeletons.

it is for 80% real, and is the most complete T-Rex ever found :)

After 9 months, it will go on a world tour, so keep an eye out.

I have been to Mini Maker Faire Zürich today. Number of Ultimaker printers there: zero! What does that mean?

Which was the biggest 3D printing company there in number of printers? Maybe it was more focused for users who are really into DIY printers. Anything interesting besides the lack of Ultimaker printers?

You're right, it was more focused on the results. The BCN3D Sigma was there, showing dual extrusion printing and a local guy with his own 3D printer kit. And of course one or the other RepRap printer.

Watching Grand Designs here in the UK... A program all about self-build houses. This weeks builder uses UM2s for his London based architectural office

Nice!! Did the prints actually look like any good on tv? ;)

Yeah they looked pretty decent!  The program showed two um2s running full time :p

Oh edit: I must say too.... I started a new job recently and in the main office sits an unused UM2...clogged up and not printing too well.... so, after a few days I get stuck in... now they have a fully working UM2 again :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Aha. Bonus points for doing a good deed.

Exactly! Just a couple of Atomics?

What is it that they/you are using the Ultimaker for at your office?

Yeah the main tech guy there was ready to throw the machine away in frustration lol... he hadn't really heard of the Atomics...so I said "do you mind me having a go at getting it running again".  Few atomics later and a replaced bowden tube and all running fine.  His settings were pretty bad,  running some PLA`s at 220-240 degrees with a 80 degree bed etc!! :p

Our main use is prototyping hardware for the building industry, window locks etc. Boring stuff but the UM2 is perfect for this kind of fast development.

Edited by Guest

makerfaire nyc 2016 - Ultimaker booth (and brass band)

• Like 4

It's the first time I have seen a video of the booth and I know all the faces.

I like the all cardboard look.

• Like 2

@ronan you msg was deleted because this isn't the post to sell stuff.

@neotko Wasn't aware it's an issue posting an Ultimaker link to my filament sale, my bad mate!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Best wishes for everyone for 2017! Hopefully you had a good time celebrating it with your loved ones and everyone is still in one piece without firework hazards!

How did you celebrate new years eve?

Decided to stay in this year! Decided to watch "Batman vs Superman" Ultimate edition BluRay. Ugh...what a lousy movie!

:)

I've noticed it sucks getting older. It's ticked over into January 3rd and I'm still feeling the last bit of a hangover from New Years here... must have been a good party though. Take that, liver!

Anyway. Earlier today I was working as per usual. I've got a couple of radar control panels in for service just because the panel backlight bulbs are blown. No problem (I thought). Disassemble, remove 11 bulbs, solder in 11 new ones, reassemble, test. Sounds like a nice afternoon at work when you're still feeling a bit... vague.

No. These units were of course night vision compatible. Special filtered bulbs needed. Fine, so I'll order some of those. List price? 294 U.S. dollars each. 294!! 22 bulbs! Just short of 6500 dollars for BULBS?! And they could be delivered in only 180 days. Damn. What are they planning to do with all that money in all that time? Build a bloody bulb factory? In any case that was fun trying to explain to our customer.

I got home and found that I - finally - received some new bearings for my trusty UM2 which had apparently spent the Christmas holidays travelling the world or something. No more horrid screeching there. I'd cannibalized the Z-motor for my other printer because of a rusty bearing in that. Managed to find a replacement bearing for that as well and put the motor back together.

So I spent the afternoon rebuilding the printer. Fired it up. Aaand then it turns out the hot end fan is making odd noises and stalling now and then. Dear lord.

Maybe I should just have stayed in bed :)

• Like 1

Cool, thanks! Lepaul, what is different in the Ultimate edition? I've seen the 'regular' edition, and indeed it was quite regular :p

I always thought well.. shame on Superman for getting shot in the face once by that kryptonite dust, maybe he was smug or something. But getting shot in the face twice / multiple times was hard to sell :p

Was there any fireworks over there?

@Syntaxterror, here in the Netherlands we have something called 'nieuwjaars-duik' / newyears dive. Together with a couple of thousand (probably still) intoxicated people, we gether at the beach at January 1st 12:00 and run into the ocean for a refreshing dip! I read that the perceived temperature that day was -5ºC. brrrr! But it is the best tool I ever came across to battle a hang over ;) Take that, body :p

Wow, 180 days?? That is pretty insane. Is there only one source?

Maybe a fan cable is loose, or something is obstructing the fan blades? Well, good luck! Hopefully the rest of 2017 will be easier ;)

@Syntaxterror, here in the Netherlands we have something called 'nieuwjaars-duik' / newyears dive. Together with a couple of thousand (probably still) intoxicated people, we gether at the beach at January 1st 12:00 and run into the ocean for a refreshing dip! I read that the perceived temperature that day was -5ºC. brrrr! But it is the best tool I ever came across to battle a hang over ;)Take that, body :p

Yeah we have those winter bathers here too, the kind of people who will only go swimming if they have to saw a hole in the ice first. Just thinking about it makes me shiver! So several thousand people, huh? How many dead? ;)

And you did it? What was worse then, the hangover or the dip? :p

Yes, there's only one vendor for the bulbs. It's the aviation industry so we're subject to a lot of scrutiny and the whole approved parts vs. bogus parts nightmare. And when said vendor has huge government contracts, everyone else gets moved to the back of the line. Still have to pay those prices that are no doubt massively inflated by the government contracts. Want to get rich? Don't buy a plane. :)

And I couldn't sleep last night so I got back out of bed and replaced the hot end fan. So it's finally back online and happily chewing its way through a spool of filament as we speak. Today is much better!

@Sandervg , the Ultimate edition just sucks in a bigger way. I won't be building that Batman suit...I'll stick to my Dark Knight version :)

Oh yes, we have people that do the "polar dip".

• Like 1