A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Apartment flooded thanks to backed up kitchen + bathroom sinks...

What a nice day.

*sips coffee in his new swimming pool*

What a nice day.

Oh yikes! That's rough. At least it's not winter...?

What a nice day.

Oh yikes! That's rough. At least it's not winter...?

Oh yeah the heat/humidity in MD is absurd this summer. I haven't seen this since i used to go on vacation in Florida haha

Keeping positive... moving in a month... yay

Hi @Ian, thanks for sharing your presentation! I think I also saw some tweets about it. How have you been doing? Was it a good event?

Hope everyone has had a good weekend! Any good stories?

Holiday photos are welcome, but please be considerate about us poor souls who are still left in our office spaces.. don't make us cry ;)

Hi Sander.

Im good thank you.

Working away making 3d printed medical products :)

Its great making products that directly help people.

We also are big fans of using our ultimaker 3 in our workshop for testing new designs and parts. Maybe it could be a cool case study for you guys at ultimaker ?

Hope your also well.

Best wishes.

Ian :)

Oh boy, a flooded apartment. Hopefully it didn't ruin any furniture that you were planning on moving in a month from now? Can you sort everything out with insurance?

Within a different context, an indoor pool with that heat sounds like a plus ;)

@Ian, sounds good! Has it been a difficult change from architecture or not that much?

And possibly yes! Can you be a little bit more specific about what it is you do exactly? A colleague could reach out to you.

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Oh boy, a flooded apartment. Hopefully it didn't ruin any furniture that you were planning on moving in a month from now? Can you sort everything out with insurance?

@Ian, sounds good! Has it been a difficult change from architecture or not that much?

And possibly yes! Can you be a little bit more specific about what it is you do exactly? A colleague could reach out to you.

Carpets, towels (that magically fell into the mess) and 1 chair are goners.

Luckily the bathroom and kitchen are lower than the living room so most of the water stayed contain. We are trying not to have insurance involved because it would kill my premium (and the deposits are rather large here). Waiting on maintenance staff to come check everything out and hopefully fix the problem. Me banging on it for 4+ hours did not fix the issue (in all seriousness the plumbing is beyond shady, codes must have been very different in the 60's haha...).

Luckily my home Ultimaker 3 (yes i have one in my home too haha) is situated in a closet away from everything and sits on a 1 feet stool to prop it up). It's 100% fine :)

Pro-Tip: When you have a clog... Don't listen to the 'pros' at your hardware store and do not use declogged gel. Damn thing ended up going back up and spewing a gel-like 'acid' everywhere. Arms/feet are still itchy next day over.

Edited by Guest

Pro-Tip: When you have a clog... Don't listen to the 'pros' at your hardware store and do not use declogged gel. Damn thing ended up going back up and spewing a gel-like 'acid' everywhere. Arms/feet are still itchy next day over.

Who said you could only learn about 3D printing here ;)Something new to learn every day!

Sounds like a little set back then. We also have insurances where you have to start paying more when you have reported some damage, after you pay your fee every X, and first also have to pay like the deductable excess yourself (if that is the correct translation). I just try not to think about it too much cause it makes you wonder why you have insurance in the first place. (I guess, if you ever have any big expenses, you're probably happy you have it though)

Good to hear your Ultimaker 3 survived! Now you can still make a new chair ;)

Edited by Guest

Who said you could only learn about 3D printing here ;)Something new to learn every day!

Sounds like a little set back then. We also have insurances where you have to start paying more when you have reported some damage, after you pay your fee every X, and first also have to pay like the deductable excess yourself (if that is the correct translation). I just try not to think about it when too much cause it makes you wonder why you have insurance in the first place. (I guess, if you ever have any big expenses, you're probably happy you have it though)

Good to hear your Ultimaker 3 survived! Now you can still make a new chair ;)

We tend to only have those for cars. My house insurance is <50 bucks a month and it covers a whole range of weird ass damages.

As for the unclogging gel; Depends what your drain is made of. The active component is NaOH, which you can wash off. It takes a bit of time before it starts eating up your skin (fun fact of the day, they used to make soap with this stuff)

It takes a bit of time before it starts eating up your skin (fun fact of the day, they used to make soap with this stuff)

Well, at least you won't be able to say it didn't get the dirt off :p

Forgot to update but maintenance came yesterday. Took them over an hour to unclog the bathroom sink + kitchen sink. Apparently the 'shredder' (no idea what its called, the kitchen sink appliance that shreds left over) ended up breaking, jamming and basically clogging everything. They replaced that too lol

Can't wait to move... :D

An original birthday present, a mold made of the Ultimaker icon and filled with chocolate! Very delicious :p

5a333e10350ec_2017-08-0408_32_25.thumb.jpg.b253cc5769c640e5307e13574b523585.jpg

5a333e1103302_2017-08-0408_32_40.thumb.jpg.9d9717554e096d2673f327c252948caa.jpg

• Like 6

That looks great! ... But my birthday was in June! ;)

How did you get the chocolate out of the molds again? Did you make a flexible mold?

• Like 1

Hi Sander.

Im setting up a team of really talented people to create the best medical products suited for 3d printing technology.

To start with we have created really really cool foot, hand and head orthesen using 3d scan and model systems. Delivering the end product in an array of different materials and using an array of 3d print processes.

We already have our products in the field and are expanding and making our designs and systems even better for the end user :) (patient)

Its a fantastic growing market to be involved in :)

And its also great to see a real use of 3d print technology to help people in their every day lives.

If your guys want to talk with me more about this: this is my email: i.spring@streifeneder.de

Thanks and have a lovely day.

Hey Ian!

Wie gehts mate? It's good to see you around!

Hi.

Its lovely to see you here :)

How are you also doing ?

Im doing fine thanks. Became a daddy this year :)a beautiful little girl :)

Im a very proud daddy and husband..

And my work is now creating fantastic medical products using 3d print technology.

Which I love because I see men and women and kids running and walking better because of my work :)

Best wishes and have a lovely day.

boots..thumb.JPG.f4aba4c5c11184dffe72fd3ce8b4c536.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

That looks great! ... But my birthday was in June! ;)

How did you get the chocolate out of the molds again? Did you make a flexible mold?

Hi @SandervG

Yes, my friends made a flexible mold :)

20786350_1921083494822997_2136615346_n.thumb.jpg.41b29a83390f1acc1cd79a54a2cea780.jpg

20793059_1921083681489645_1579603405_n.thumb.jpg.ca872d1d11e42ae7d231c18a1d50131d.jpg

Edited by Guest

I went to see the total solar eclipse last month and my daughter took footage from 4 different gopros and stitched and edited into a really nice video - more about the people than the eclipse - I think she did an excellent job (she has created about 70 videos over the last 3 years so she is getting pretty good - she has 2 other channels).  It's a very intense event.  Both my daughters cried.  It's not what one expects.  This is my third total eclipse.  We went with 130 other people from the Boston astronomy club (atmob).  Anyway eclipse part starts at 3 minutes in - I'm the guy in the yellow shirt.

Skip to 3 minutes!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

After the eclipse is over and she starts narrating again, there are sped up videos showing the shadow pass over the clouds. In the first 2 sped up clips it approaches and then 2 clips of the sun coming back. Always it moves right to left. I you watch them a few times it gets very obvious. Stare only at the clouds. The ones in the left of the frame of the first clip are best and all across right to left of the south viewing clips.

If you listen with the sound cranked you can hear some kind of insect making "night time noises".

• Like 1

I went to see the total solar eclipse last month and my daughter took footage from 4 different gopros and stitched and edited into a really nice video - more about the people than the eclipse - I think she did an excellent job (she has created about 70 videos over the last 3 years so she is getting pretty good - she has 2 other channels).  It's a very intense event.  Both my daughters cried.  It's not what one expects.  This is my third total eclipse.  We went with 130 other people from the Boston astronomy club (atmob).  Anyway eclipse part starts at 3 minutes in - I'm the guy in the yellow shirt.

Skip to 3 minutes!

Very, very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Ian!

Wie gehts mate? It's good to see you around!

Hi.

Its lovely to see you here :)

How are you also doing ?

Im doing fine thanks. Became a daddy this year :)a beautiful little girl :)

Im a very proud daddy and husband..

And my work is now creating fantastic medical products using 3d print technology.

Which I love because I see men and women and kids running and walking better because of my work :)

Best wishes and have a lovely day.

boots..thumb.JPG.f4aba4c5c11184dffe72fd3ce8b4c536.JPG

Hey mate!

Sorry for the delay, was sooo overloaded with all kinds of crap.

But, among the rest, I also do something similar to what you are doing:

5a33405bb8ab3_PhoenixII1331.thumb.jpeg.217d3ea0b931a7f8a9319e919cb2acde.jpeg

We joined the e-nable movement and also print hands as giveaway for the kids and adults who need them.

I'm very excited, as it is my first hand ever made. Hope, the kid who asked for Spiderman colors will love it.

Other than that, I will visit Berlin in November, to catch a bit of Christmas markets and to rest a bit, as the kids, you know, can be really annoying. :-)

Happy printing!

I just got my first kid 1 week ago :D

Congrats Kindaichi san

the best that can happen in life...

from my side it is not at same level

but still happy of it:

last week for the Ultimaker Education Challenge in Asia-oceania

I was awarded of an UM3

very proud that my project was considered by Ultimaker,

not an easy Challenge but did my best to participate

it is a project dedicated to terakoya in different schools in Japan

I join the logo of the project "edutainment"

will say more soon after the change of the forum

5a3341422a8b4_edutainmentlogo.thumb.png.05f0e42bdae9ed20e2d018f7f3c5fe31.png

I just got my first kid 1 week ago :D

• Like 3

Sometimes your model gets something extra

20180204_144730.jpg

• Like 1

I think this is how special effects were made for movies in the 80's ;) 

Yesterday I had a funny idea:  using my Ultimaker for various unusual purposes such as wood burning, paper marking, metal scribing, circuit board masking, wax melting, and lots of stuff like that.  I got all excited as usual and below are some snapshots of this morning's brief effort.  Yesterday I put a circle on a piece of blue tape (and then another) and now this attempt.  It looks crude, yes, but a nice beginning don't you think?  

I know it must not be an original concept, however it's new to me which is always exciting as the process of discovery is so enjoyable.  The images shown are OpenSCAD "hello world" followed by low temperature tracing on a piece of card stock (on printer and scraped off).  

It should be practical to expand this into 3D as well.  Maybe better efforts with more heat and non-drilled nozzles in steel are better.  Also the combination of 3D printing and this type of process could be interesting.  I'd like to try combining both additive and subtractive 3D printing.  

Les

hello world 180207b.png

hello world 189297b 1.jpg

hello world 189297b 2.jpg