Need to add 4cm to middle of tube

Go to solution Solved by Nomad6666,

Posted · Need to add 4cm to middle of tube

I have a tube it has threads on each end so if I just stretch it it also stretches the threads not what I want..

Is their a way to to stretch just the center of the tube 4cm leaving the ends with working threads...

if not with Cura what else can I try to do it in?

Thanks Bill

Cura doesn't have this sort of function, it's for printing models, not editing them.

Ideally you would do it in whatever program was used to create the model in the first place, using the original file from that. There's not a lot of programs around designed for editing STL files, especially in this sort of way.

On Windows you could use Microsoft 3D Builder to cut a section of the tube out, duplicate it and put it back together.

On other platforms (and Windows) FreeCAD can do it, but it's not exactly beginner friendly. OpenSCAD can do it, but how beginner friendly it is depends on your knowledge of C-style code formatting (it'd be my choice, but I've got a lot of experience with it which is why).

• Like 2

@Nomad6666 It depends on what type of file you have.

For editing .stl files, I would recommend looking into Blender. It might take a minute to learn but it's well spent time imo..

5 hours ago, rwide said:

For editing .stl files, I would recommend looking into Blender. It might take a minute to learn but it's well spent time imo..

While I appreciate you trying to help, I don't think Blender is the best tool for the job here. It's not designed for producing models to be 3D printed (you can definitely make them, but I've also seen some impressively bad files that have come out of it). And for this model (a tube with screw threads on it) a CAD program is far more suitable than a mesh based editor like Blender.

@Slashee_the_Cow Well i completely disagree. Blender has a fine toolkit for editing meshes (wich stl files are). It also has a 3d printing toolkit that you can use to analyze and repair models. The quality of the output depends 100% on the user rather than the program. 

• Like 1

I dont make recommendations like that, discussion is fine.
    But senseless arguing like above is pointless here.

• Solution

I did a work around by using the move below build plate sliced and saved then did a 180% put it where I wanted it sliced and saved/sliced Just have to glue the 2 bits together now after it prints its quick and dirty work around for me...

2 hours ago, Nomad6666 said:

Just have to glue the 2 bits together now after it prints

If you're printing in PLA, cyanoacrylate - better known as regular old superglue - works incredibly well.

Yes it does now I just have to figure out how to delete the part under the build plate so when turning item 180% the stuff under the build plate is gone so far no luck...

7 hours ago, Nomad6666 said:

Yes it does now I just have to figure out how to delete the part under the build plate so when turning item 180% the stuff under the build plate is gone so far no luck...

Anything under the build plate will be completely ignored when you slice the model.

yes but I want to be able to use the part again by flipping it again but the part below the build plate comes up and does not go away oh well have to figure out a work around for that....

Well, to do it your way, here's an object I just use for testing that I want to make longer:

image.thumb.png.36a485b30852067e26958420b7937d14.png

I can't just scale it along the X axis in Cura, because then the legs will get fatter and they're supposed to be the same thickness as the top. So:

1. Select object:
      image.thumb.png.0ac15436a0d5d1c0d7a1e4795de5fce6.png
    2. Rotate the so the axis I want to make longer is on the Z axis:
      image.thumb.png.67136dff078c9e6d72cfe6f753b39cba.png
    3. Switch back to move tool, disable Drop Down Model image.png.06a5a6a70bfba8a7abba96b0deb9078e.pngand move it so part is underneath the surface:
      image.thumb.png.0e8d8f31dd61183ae664ae5c7a3f2fef.png
    4. Slice:
      image.thumb.png.b93e50f997f45983f78ce11eb97315df.png
    5. Save the gcode for this part of the model:
      image.png.abb2ad0f1155d00f0d0b65ec780bbf02.png
    6. Go back to Prepare mode:
      image.thumb.png.302537fdf06cbf31eb0e37a542549dc0.png
    7. Rotate object 180° if necessary (depends on whether it's symmetrical, mine is but let's pretend it isn't):
      image.thumb.png.22e31ddb15a1970c806ce3a272424d29.png
    8. Move up/down so that the correct length will be added (I don't want it to be twice as long, so I'm moving it down:
      image.thumb.png.50ed61f021b628ffa392c38e1c5b3164.png
    9. Slice:
      image.thumb.png.1f6898963336e9e6b36e351d905646d2.png
    10. Save gcode for this part of it:
      image.png.5133b503ab0b75af2b36e14ec1f7fd4b.png
    11. Print both parts.
    12. Glue them together.

Although I'd still really recommend editing the STL file to make it longer (it's not that hard), if this is the way you want to do it, that's how.

yes thats what I did but I want to delete whats under the build plate preeminently and be able to use the object above to manipulate as I want thats what I am trying to figure out ....

1. Are you using Windows? Yes? Good. No? Borrow the computer of someone who is.
    2. Open Microsoft's 3D Builder app (it comes with Windows 10, not sure if you have to download it manually from the Microsoft store in Windows 11, but it's free):
      image.thumb.png.4c079930d9a0329dd3fe3aa0e6f93247.png
    3. Open your model file (click "Open" and then in the bottom left "Load object" and then click the tick in the top left that says "Import model":
      image.thumb.png.2836837fd40a971d0cf986ab3bc2e94d.png
    4. Click your model to select it and open the Edit tab in the toolbar at the top:
      image.thumb.png.22785aa0a7238a8ce58946357fd80ad3.png
    5. Click Split on the toolbar, rotate the cutting plane to the correct orientation and rotate the view slightly (just click+drag anywhere in the viewport that isn't a control) so you can see the cutting plane if necessary and then click and drag it to the correct position:
      image.thumb.png.f22cb8522e093b42d0f480659affa0ec.png
    6. Click the Split (big tick) button to confirm the split:
      image.thumb.png.d73242b776e45dd2f82368616db8d415.png
    7. Open the hamburger menu (three lines) at the top left and choose Save As. By default it will save it as a 3mf file so make sure to change it to .stl at the bottom of the save window. Name it "first piece" or something. It'll give you a warning that STL isn't as good as 3mf. Just click OK and ignore that.
      image.thumb.png.6a2aba8a0576d01314e220dd456982e1.png
    8. Press Ctrl+Z to undo the split:
      image.thumb.png.a83c2b0a6dc345a6fcd272dadf22ebd2.png
    9. Open the Split tool again, click Keep Bottom at the top, then rotate and move the cutting plane to the desired position and click the big tick button at the top left:
      image.thumb.png.e4c398e49728001353f2527c024f5c1a.png
    10. "Save as" the file again, except call it call it "second part" or something and don't forget to change the file type to STL.
    11. Mess around with the parts as much as you want in Cura.

If that isn't what you want then I think the cow <> human translator isn't fully functional I won't be able to help you 🐮😕

Here's how you do it in meshmixer.  One of several videos.  Meshmixer is free.    I picked this one because it's short.  It does much more than you want though as it adds a pin to connect the two parts.

got builder will play with it for a bit and see how it goes thanks...

Ill check out meshmixer too ...