Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
geeks

Pilot UM ² by USB

Hello,

I have now 100% of my time devoted to 3D printing.

I'm tired of spending my time putting my files on SD card. Sometimes I get errors on the GCODE itself. :oops:

I wonder what are the possibilities to control printing from an external software. I think among other things:

1 / Load Gcode in Repetier

2 / Start the print

But here, all my attempts have been unsuccessful. I am not happened.

Is there a solution for Cura? If so, I is not found.

Is there a way to do it from Repetier? If so, I did not know how.

Thank you for your help.

Putting your prints on SD is better, especially for high res prints. Due to bandwith constraints in USB 2.0, it sometimes happens that the G-Codes can't be sent to the printer fast enough. This slows the prints down and creates noticable mistakes.

Ok!

Oh well ... it not really answer my problem!

So yes, I noted that the UM2 was not dedicated to USB. However, I'm tired of always eject the sd card to put on g-code printed.

Putting your prints on SD is better, especially for high res prints. Due to bandwith constraints in USB 2.0, it sometimes happens that the G-Codes can't be sent to the printer fast enough. This slows the prints down and creates noticable mistakes.

Is this limitation the same when using a raspberry Pi with OctoPrint?

Is this limitation the same when using a raspberry Pi with OctoPrint?

This limitation is always there. It will be noticable on very high detailed models.

I would suggest a good solution then ...

And if Gcode can be sent via usb Ultimaker ².

Ultimaker ² send him on the sd card that is on the machine. From there, you can print from SD card.

This would make the resolution without inconveignant flow of USB.

Geeks, AFAIK the main problem with connecting the printer to a computer by USB is the USB speed transfer.

It would take a very long time to transfer the gcode file to the SDCard through the UM² (250kbits/s).

One solution could be to consider the possibility of being able to control the printer through USB with the Gcode on the SDCard.

I'm not sure exactly why the USB bandwidth is so low on the arduinos. I guess it comes down to clock speed and overhead - but a quick google search suggests that it should be possible to run USB at 2Mbps on a Mega... perhaps that would be an option for non-printing times? Could you transfer gcode quicker and just stream it to the SD, on the assumption that all resources are dedicated to that, and you don't have to worry about printing at the same time?

Indeed. I would see the following:

1 / Open Cura

2 / Load Model

3 / Set options

4 / Transfer to usb

5 / When the transfer is finished, we did préocupe over usb

6 / The file is on the sd card UM ² scold a print from the jogger

7 / Print as for a conventional file

I have been using an arduino DUE for couple months now. I use it for datalogging to SDCard and then retrieve the logs to my computer.

The DUE has one USB port similar to the MEGA and one USB native port.

With the native port, I have a transfer rate >2Mbps whereas I just can't go faster than 250kbps on the other port.

Geeks, I think you're missing the point. Currently, over USB, you can't send data as fast as you can print it, for fast or detailed prints. Because of that, the print stutters, and becomes bad quality.

But looked at the other way, that means that transferring the file takes LONGER than printing it. So if you have a complicated 2 hour print, the file transfer over USB would take even longer - maybe 3 hours.

So, sending it over USB and then printing it would take 2 + 3 = 5 hours. Even if the USB transfer could be sped up tenfold, it's still pretty slow to send a lot of data that way - compared to just writing directly to the SD card and walking it to your printer.