Jump to content

Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

Hello peeps.

 

It's been a while since I posted (been a while since I printed, due to reasons)

 

I'm new to printing and I only print in PLA, I ran out of it a while ago and finally got to buy a new roll today but I accidentally bought "ePET" instead of "PLA" (it was entirely my fault, I got mixed up).

The thing is I can't return this and I have to use it.

 

I have an ender 3 PRO, and I managed to set the temperatures to what this material requires in the printer's settings, but I noticed that the files are sliced for PLA in CURA, therefore they override the printer settings and do not print due to the temperature differences (this is the conclusion I came to but I might be wrong, I did notice the temperatures changing and reverting to PLA settings when I set the printer to print, however).

 

I went into CURA to find a config for ePET in the cura marketplace, but I can only find PET and PETG. I know that this is not PETG but I'm unsure if ePET and PET are the same thing or use the same temperatures.

 

For reference the manufacturer is 3N3. I'll attach a pic of what I have, for some reason it keeps attaching upside down, sorry., and the "e" before PET is super light but it's there, this is not just "PET"

 

Can someone tell me where to find a configuration for ePET (or a compatible one) in CURA because I can't seem to find anything in the marketplace (or guide me on how to make my own, keep in mind I'm a complete newbie).

 

Any advice on how to print with this is also welcomed.

 

Thank you guys.

 

20240701_225758.jpg

Edited by Ranshii
Clarifying points I felt weren't well explained
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

    Looks like it uses pretty similar settings to PETG, just with a cooler build plate - Print temperature 245°, build plate 70°. Rather than create a new material profile it's probably easier just to set the temperatures in the quality profile, in the Material section - and probably to put "EPET" or something at the start of the filename of your gcode files so you don't accidentally print a file sliced for that with another filament (I always put what filament type a file is sliced for in the filename).

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    On 7/2/2024 at 1:33 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    Looks like it uses pretty similar settings to PETG, just with a cooler build plate - Print temperature 245°, build plate 70°. Rather than create a new material profile it's probably easier just to set the temperatures in the quality profile, in the Material section - and probably to put "EPET" or something at the start of the filename of your gcode files so you don't accidentally print a file sliced for that with another filament (I always put what filament type a file is sliced for in the filename).

    Sorry for the belated response, I'm not getting notified about new replies to my threads despite not having changed any settings, I'll have to remind myself to check manually.

     

    Is this okay? (I would not be using super quality for this but as a test I don't mind)

     

    Can you tell me which of the settings in brackets is the extruder temperature that I should adjust?

     

    The initial layer temp, initial printing temp and final printing temp should always be the same values for both extruder and bed?

    image.png.19ca01d9511a7cb58842937f4cf345ef.png

     

    Also I went ahead and created the material itself, but no profile seems to be compatible with it. Not even the default ones.

     

    image.thumb.png.ffeb4cae716404a30d40820ea0939d00.png

     

    Edited by Ranshii
    Added extra info
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    45 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    Is this okay?

    Not your current settings. You should set Printing Temperature to 245 and Build Plate Temperature to 70.

     

    44 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    Can you tell me which of the settings in brackets is the extruder temperature that I should adjust?

    Just adjust Printing Temperature and the rest should change to match it (unless you override them manually).

     

    47 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    The initial layer temp, initial printing temp and final printing temp should always be the same values for both extruder and bed?

    If you're not sure, keep them the same. Some people make the initial layer hotter for the material/bed because it aids in adhesion - I do for PLA and TPU, but not PETG.

     

    48 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    Also I went ahead and created the material itself, but no profile seems to be compatible with it. Not even the default ones.

    I've never been able to figure out the link between materials and quality profiles myself (except for UltiMaker printers using UltiMaker filament because they can hand tune those). I think it's to do with the Material Type setting, extruder profiles contain quality settings for each filament type so if you add a new type it doesn't have any quality profiles to apply:

    image.thumb.png.bb5d70555d68ff01fbf6346406a1174d.png

    image.thumb.png.e0b7d75ccdcf3983c21e798f8ba6f540.png

    You could probably get away with setting the material type for your ePET to PETG.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    On 7/5/2024 at 11:09 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    Not your current settings. You should set Printing Temperature to 245 and Build Plate Temperature to 70.

     

    Just adjust Printing Temperature and the rest should change to match it (unless you override them manually).

     

    If you're not sure, keep them the same. Some people make the initial layer hotter for the material/bed because it aids in adhesion - I do for PLA and TPU, but not PETG.

     

    I've never been able to figure out the link between materials and quality profiles myself (except for UltiMaker printers using UltiMaker filament because they can hand tune those). I think it's to do with the Material Type setting, extruder profiles contain quality settings for each filament type so if you add a new type it doesn't have any quality profiles to apply:

    image.thumb.png.bb5d70555d68ff01fbf6346406a1174d.png

    image.thumb.png.e0b7d75ccdcf3983c21e798f8ba6f540.png

    You could probably get away with setting the material type for your ePET to PETG.

     

    Okay, thanks for your patience once again.

     

    I think this should be it?

     

    Change the material profile to PETG then manually adjust the printing temperatures and slice the models under this configuration.

     

    image.thumb.png.f642575dbdf60c76890e030f1c8cc6f3.png

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    58 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    I think this should be it?

     

    Change the material profile to PETG then manually adjust the printing temperatures and slice the models under this configuration.

    That looks good, just watch the printer for a little bit when it starts to make sure the filament is being printed fine.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    9 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    That looks good, just watch the printer for a little bit when it starts to make sure the filament is being printed fine.

    I sent a test print (its a set of cookie cutters) with that configuration, so far so good, I think, except that there's stringing everywhere.

     

    The cutters should not be attached to each other; I think this is either related to retraction, fan speed or printing speed.

     

    I will need to finetune this for more complex prints, do you have any idea what might be happening?

    As I was taking these pics the printer shut off so all the progress is lost because it did not go into recovery mode, but I'm sure it will happen again when I print another batch tomorrow.

     

    image.thumb.jpeg.02c94103a4e7d034219a0bbf2a0ec372.jpeg

    image.thumb.jpeg.8a8610be12de3f3eb4423f159ce7647c.jpeg

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

    Well if it's anything like PETG, stringing is basically inevitable. It just gets really stringy when it gets hot and the best you can do is try and make it a little less bad with the right retraction settings. I have it set to retract 1.5mm at 40mm/s on my printer but if you have a Bowden extruder (the filament goes into the extruder, then goes through a tube to get to the print head) I'd probably use something more like 7mm at 45mm/s. Just don't expect a huge improvement. The best way to avoid stringing is to not have many travel moves 🙂 so in the case of your cookie cutters it'd probably be better printing them one at a time.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    5 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    Well if it's anything like PETG, stringing is basically inevitable. It just gets really stringy when it gets hot and the best you can do is try and make it a little less bad with the right retraction settings. I have it set to retract 1.5mm at 40mm/s on my printer but if you have a Bowden extruder (the filament goes into the extruder, then goes through a tube to get to the print head) I'd probably use something more like 7mm at 45mm/s. Just don't expect a huge improvement. The best way to avoid stringing is to not have many travel moves 🙂 so in the case of your cookie cutters it'd probably be better printing them one at a time.

     

    Gotcha.

     

    I have no idea how similar to PETG this material is but I'm assuming it's similar due to the similar temperatures, I never worked with PETG either so I'm completely unknowledgable there haha

    But yes I have a bowden extruder.

     

    I will try these settings out and trying to print one or two at a time and see how it goes. image.png.f2676b893c0ef7bc65f1ca59e6b59e5e.png

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

    If you're used to printing with something like PLA, it's important to remember that PETG (and therefore quite possibly this ePET) is a bit flexible. Not like, you can grab a straight bit and twist it into a circle kind of flexible (TPU would be a good start for that), but for example, I made a clip which goes around the top bar of my printer's frame and fits tightly, but it can bend enough to get it open to go around the bar. If you're making cookie cutters you might want to do one at first to see if this could be a problem (because nobody wants wonky cookies, do they?).

     

    TBH in your situation I would just buy a spool of whatever filament you usually work with and leave this "ePET" shoved in a drawer or something where you don't need to think about it, but I guess if money is tight or something you gotta work with what you've got.

     

    Another important thing about PETG (although I don't know if it applies as strongly to this ePET) is that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and can get damp and won't print nearly as well. I have a filament dryer (not too expensive, cost about the same as two spools of the filament I usually get) and if I haven't used it in a few days, put it in there and let it run for a few hours before I print with it. Some people store their filament in resealable bags and put desiccant in there, the kind which changes colour when it's absorbed all the moisture it can and then you just put it in the microwave to get the moisture out and then put it back in the bag. The cheap way of doing it is you set your printer's bed to 50°, put the filament on it, cover it with a towel and let it sit there for a few hours.

    • Heart 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    On 7/7/2024 at 10:57 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    If you're used to printing with something like PLA, it's important to remember that PETG (and therefore quite possibly this ePET) is a bit flexible. Not like, you can grab a straight bit and twist it into a circle kind of flexible (TPU would be a good start for that), but for example, I made a clip which goes around the top bar of my printer's frame and fits tightly, but it can bend enough to get it open to go around the bar. If you're making cookie cutters you might want to do one at first to see if this could be a problem (because nobody wants wonky cookies, do they?).

     

    TBH in your situation I would just buy a spool of whatever filament you usually work with and leave this "ePET" shoved in a drawer or something where you don't need to think about it, but I guess if money is tight or something you gotta work with what you've got.

     

    Another important thing about PETG (although I don't know if it applies as strongly to this ePET) is that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and can get damp and won't print nearly as well. I have a filament dryer (not too expensive, cost about the same as two spools of the filament I usually get) and if I haven't used it in a few days, put it in there and let it run for a few hours before I print with it. Some people store their filament in resealable bags and put desiccant in there, the kind which changes colour when it's absorbed all the moisture it can and then you just put it in the microwave to get the moisture out and then put it back in the bag. The cheap way of doing it is you set your printer's bed to 50°, put the filament on it, cover it with a towel and let it sit there for a few hours.

     

    I forgot to reply (again) I followed your advice and I got the trusty PLA+ and it's working as it should.

    I have some bed adherence issues but I will attribute that to the fact we're at 100% humidity 24/7 and with temperatures below 0 as well and I know that this craft is weather sensitive in general.

     

    I tried printing with the ePET and turned out to be too flexible indeed, I thought the same about the cutters, also the material wasn't quite keeping its shape, shrinking at the corners, doing weird shit and coming undone at the top for some reason, and no, it wasn't loose on the bed, I literally don't know what this is. I'll show you a pic just for the lols later, I don't have the prints on me rn.

     

    So now I'm printing with PLA+, but I learned a lot from this experience despite how expensive it was.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    7 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    I tried printing with the ePET and turned out to be too flexible indeed, I thought the same about the cutters, also the material wasn't quite keeping its shape, shrinking at the corners, doing weird shit and coming undone at the top for some reason, and no, it wasn't loose on the bed, I literally don't know what this is. I'll show you a pic just for the lols later, I don't have the prints on me rn.

    That probably hints to a reason for why when I tried to find out about this stuff, most of the results I got were from Argentina, a few from Brazil and one from Uruguay - if it was any good, then even if the manufacturer didn't sell it outside of those territories, there'd be people importing it and reselling it in big markets like the US.

     

    I won't even pretend to understand the science behind it but I know whatever the "G" is creates a version of PET which is much easier to 3D print.

     

    I eagerly await the pictures though 😀

     

    18 minutes ago, Ranshii said:

    I have some bed adherence issues but I will attribute that to the fact we're at 100% humidity 24/7 and with temperatures below 0 as well and I know that this craft is weather sensitive in general

    Well here in the down underverse I'm used to both 100% humidity and temperatures below 0 - but not together, just in different halves of the year 😄

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

    Your stringing - normal for PETG to some degree but if your material is dried before use, it can help immensely.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    On 7/16/2024 at 11:34 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

    That probably hints to a reason for why when I tried to find out about this stuff, most of the results I got were from Argentina, a few from Brazil and one from Uruguay - if it was any good, then even if the manufacturer didn't sell it outside of those territories, there'd be people importing it and reselling it in big markets like the US.

     

    I won't even pretend to understand the science behind it but I know whatever the "G" is creates a version of PET which is much easier to 3D print.

     

    I eagerly await the pictures though 😀

     

    Well here in the down underverse I'm used to both 100% humidity and temperatures below 0 - but not together, just in different halves of the year 😄

     

    That's where I am from so it makes complete sense that you weren't able to find local results, because as far as I know, ePET is only produced here; and even then, nobody knows anything about it.

     

    It's been hell weather wise but fortunately we got a break today, and here's the pictures; I hope it was worth the wait.

    For reference, the print was NOT loose on the bed, so... I'll leave it to god to figure out what even happened there.

     

    image.thumb.jpeg.116b3c57c78c8cd535efc8eab119db5c.jpeg

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)
    5 hours ago, Ranshii said:

    It's been hell weather wise but fortunately we got a break today, and here's the pictures; I hope it was worth the wait.

    For reference, the print was NOT loose on the bed, so... I'll leave it to god to figure out what even happened there.

    I'm not sure I know what happened either, but my guess is if it printed for much longer, it would open a portal to some terrible plane of existence... like Adelaide.

    (Sorry for the Australian humour folks, but I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone by picking a place where the most notable thing they have isn't a pair of big metal balls)

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Help finding material (that I bought by mistake)

    Hey I've been to Adeliade!  I visited friends back in 1998 down under!  (Stayed in Ballarat and drove all over the place for 3 weeks.)  Fun place!

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • UltiMaker Cura 5.8 beta released
        Another Cura release has arrived and in this 5.8 beta release, the focus is on improving Z seams, as well as completing support for the full Method series of printers by introducing a profile for the UltiMaker Method.
          • Like
        • 1 reply
      • Introducing the UltiMaker Factor 4
        We are happy to announce the next evolution in the UltiMaker 3D printer lineup: the UltiMaker Factor 4 industrial-grade 3D printer, designed to take manufacturing to new levels of efficiency and reliability. Factor 4 is an end-to-end 3D printing solution for light industrial applications
          • Thanks
          • Like
        • 3 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...