Inset Polygons Incorrectly Printing

gkokes
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Inset Polygons Incorrectly Printing

I am fairly new to 3D printing, and have come across something I can't seem to fix.  I downloaded a Saturn V from NASA's model site (https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/SATURNV).  I can't get Stage 2 (S-II.stl) to slice correctly.  I'll reference everything with the part rotated vertically such that the thrusters are on the bottom.  On the bottom (thruster end), where the conical surface above the thrusters is inset inside the main stage cylinder, the slicer places a horizontal surface flush with the bottom of the cylinder, and adds infill from there.  The model clearly should simply extend the conic section up until it intersects the cylinder.  With this additional horizontal surface and infill, the adapter section above Stage 1 can't slide up into the bottom of Stage 2.  I've even tried turning off supports and infill (I wouldn't actually print that way) to see if I can get it to stop making the horizontal surface flush with the bottom of the cylinder, but it "always" does.  I say "always" because I found if I angle the model about 30-45 degrees, it either does slice this area correctly, or prints it kinda correctly (the incorrect surface now prints at an angle such that on one side the conic section does properly make it to the cylindrical section), but the top of the model is all messed up after slicing.

Similarly, the thrusters themselves (which should be hollow cones) get a flat bottom surface and infill.  Thrusters on Stage 1 do the same thing, but the rest of the models have no problem printing hollow thruster cones.

What is wrong that the slicer is filling in the area where the two polygons (cylinder and cone) overlap?  I'm making this for a Creality Ender-3 S1 Pro printer -- I don't know if that affects anything (like I said, I'm new to this).

I'm making this for my son, and would REALLY like to be able to give him a model that actually goes together.

S-II.stl

The model is bad.

image.thumb.png.7663a083acdc425724e56912999e4525.png

All those polka dot areas is where the model is missing faces or they have incorrect normals. Now, when I look at the inside:

image.thumb.png.e34ce3ec8b39d825e1ca5eb85eaa09a8.png

It has almost no faces on the inside.

Also:

image.thumb.png.0a513bf055461c55887d11b8dca7293d.png

That is why your thrusters are bad. The majority of them have no faces (and no idea where to stop). The bottom of the model itself is basically missing. I'm actually surprised Cura does as well as it does when slicing it.

All these areas are basically "invisible" to Cura - it can guess what's there to fill them in to give you something but 90% of the time that something is far from the something you want.

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's 3D Builder app is generally pretty good at fixing bad models, and it can render it correctly before it fixes it:

image.thumb.png.100653453405145cc83673dc42fe218b.png

...but even it can't handle this one...

image.thumb.png.100ea83e201c9b48fa831720d6225052.png

Normally this is the part where I'd say "but I dug through all the tools and fixed it" but... I spent about an hour trying to fix this thing and it's pretty thoroughly broken. Maybe someone else might have more luck. I know there are online STL repair tools but I don't know if they'd produce any better results than I could.

*/me looks at other STL files for that model to see if they're all that bad*

S-IV b.stl: Looks good on the outside...

image.thumb.png.51210526096721dc7473cc33aa507cfd.png

...but has literally no faces inside:

image.thumb.png.9fb56c7dacb76605af71b51439e2c274.png

Should be an easy fix, if Cura can't slice it fine to begin with.

S-IC top.stl: Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a camera lens?

image.thumb.png.c6df05030bd226fa97763249049f0460.png

It's actually not completely hollow on the inside though. There is a section with internal faces...

image.thumb.png.b85de13c0360d134a4e3b4c09e5048b4.png

...and one without.

command module.stl: Literally too stupid to fail, which is why it's a perfectly valid model:

image.thumb.png.80e6a84aed5c8255eb82a6bdb189e861.png

I'd only need a couple of extra hands to count all the faces on it with my fingers though. And what's with the "creased" bits which are probably faces connected to the wrong vertex at one point, or something about space travel that I don't understand?

Okay, that's hardly all of them, but I'd like to think I've made my point. Which is that it's a good thing NASA are trying to explore space and not become regular contributors to Thingiverse.

• Laugh 1

Thanks so much for looking at this!   Unfortunately, I spent the better part of a week (and a decent amount of PLA) printing this whole thing.  S-II was the last part I printed, and it all looked good enough (for a kid's toy) until this last piece failed.  I just have to wonder why someone would post this model (it looks like the models on the NASA site aren't actually made by NASA) if it doesn't even print correctly?!?!

I am now curious -- how does something that's hollow and has a surface NOT have inside faces?  As a newbie, I'm still trying to figure out what all the different errors/warnings mean.  I saw all the blue and purple dots, but had no idea what they meant.  So when you say the bottom of the model is basically missing, how does that happen when I look at the model in the Prepare mode and it appears to be fine?  Are there spots with no thickness?  (which makes me wonder how I'm seeing any surface if it has no thickness).  Again, thanks for all your help!

Each model is made up of a lot of triangles.  Each triangle must be attached along each of it's edges to an adjacent triangle.  When there are no open seams between triangles the model is considered "watertight" or "manifold".  All those triangles enclose a volume that we call a solid, but it isn't really.  It's just a bunch of triangles that are glued together along their edges.  It has more in common with a balloon with a faceted, infinitely thin skin.

If a model has open seams then it isn't watertight.  The slicer sees the openings into the interior of the model and gets confused in regards to Outside vs Inside.  That often looks like the slicer is adding surfaces.

Along with edges, the triangles have a "direction".  The faces of all the triangles that comprise a model have to be facing the correct direction to indicate where the outside is.  If you flip one triangle around so it's ouside face is pointing inside, the slicer gets confused because there is a hole in the structure and again, it can't tell the outside from the inside.

This is a report from "https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair" on the rocket model.

-> Reading file and indexing vertices
    -> Analyzed your file:
    --> 1608 Naked edges (?)
    --> 88 Planar holes (?)
    --> 20 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 322 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 962 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 6 Degenerate faces (?)

--> 0 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)

For a model that isn't very high resolution, that's a fair amount of errors.  MS 3D Builder was able to fix it.  The website also fixed it but has both a time limit of 4 minutes, and a file size limit of (I think) 25mb.  I like the report even though my only idea of what a "Degenerate Face" is, is the one my ex-wife shows me.

Posted (edited) · Inset Polygons Incorrectly Printing

GregValiant -- I just tried the formware site, and it did "fix" the model,  with it extending the cone all the way to the cylinder BUT there no part of the cylinder extending below the cone (which the model needs for the Stage 1-2 adapter to slide up inside the Stage 2 cylinder). 

I'm curious about the MS 3D Builder.  Slashee_the_Cow (awesome name!) showed that MS 3D Builder renders the image correctly before fixing it, but fails to fix it correctly (I'm guessing his 2nd image is of the part after slicing?).  Were you able to get it to fix it for slicing correctly?

Edited by gkokes
    typo

1 hour ago, gkokes said:

Slashee_the_Cow (awesome name!) showed that MS 3D Builder renders the image correctly before fixing it, but fails to fix it correctly (I'm guessing his 2nd image is of the part after slicing?)

Moo! The second picture from 3D Builder is after it "fixed" the model, so not even loaded into a slicer yet.

If @GregValiant was able to get better results than me then maybe he should share his fixed version with the class.

Sorry.  I had playground duty.

I see two "bad" models in there.  Oddly enough - one of them is the cube.  Cura's Mesh Tools was able to fix that.

There are also a couple that are really hard to print without making some alterations.

The repair of the second stage isn't true to what the model appears to be like.  That's the way both repair utilities see the model.

This is the unrepaired second stage in Mesh Mixer.  All the red surfaces and magenta balls indicate errors.  The entire bottom appears to have a fairing over the engine assembly which is cone shaped as it enters the fairing.

image.thumb.png.5994dc6ccdf52b97ae72e7cbb37e6006.png

Mesh Mixer really made a hash of the repair and most of the model simply disappeared.

The cone shape of the bottom gets lost and the nozzles become solid due to the repair.  There isn't much else that can be done.  The model is printable, just not what the designer showed.

image.thumb.png.b2425bf76344782ee5e0744851954bec.png

Then there is the bottom of the first stage.  The nozzles are solid but have a narrow ring around them.  The ring barely slices. and will present a problem with bed adhesion unless the model is sunk into the build plate a bit so that ring gets ignored.  Here you can see that Cura is calling for support because the solid portion of the nozzle isn't on the same plane as the ring.

image.thumb.png.02675b64e9dd618d20affb9f1f38af6a.png

I think what we are seeing here is an attempt to produce a "Scale" model when a "Fun Scale" (not exactly true to the original, but buildable) would be more appropriate.  From what I see, it should print OK even with the problems we see in the second stage.

7.5 MILLION pounds of thrust for those of you that weren't watching at the time.

S-II.stl

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

From what I see, it should print OK even with the problems we see in the second stage.

The problem, as the OP said, is that with those changes it won't fit in with the other parts that comprise the model.

@gkokes: Spent a bit more time throwing basically my whole toolbox at it and couldn't fix it without breaking it in so many different ways I was sort of amazed at the variety of broken models - sorry 😞 There's only so much you can do to try and polish a turd and this one's a real stinker.

Have you tried a web search to see if there's a group on like reddit or somewhere that both take fixing broken models as a challenge and know a lot more than me about how to do it? 'cause I only have the "taking it as a challenge" part.

@Slashee_the_Cow: Thanks for all the help.  This was just supposed to be a fun project, but has now turned into something much bigger.  I think we're just going to accept that the stages don't connect properly and we'll use it as-is to have some fun playing with a toy rocket.  And maybe if I ever learn how to do some real design work myself, I'll make my own version AND MAKE SURE IT PRINTS before sharing it with others. 🙂

Hi there.

A big salute to an older version of Cura, no external mesh tools used, only Cura!      🧨  🙂

This first image is from the original S-II.stl (797.05 Kbyte) shown as it looks in Cura (as reference).

S-II_stl_in_Cura.thumb.jpg.51b762eee9e289f500c4cdf429d21514.jpg

The second image is from the original S-II.stl (797.05 Kbyte), sliced as shown as it looks in Cura.

S-II_Sliced_1_in_Cura.thumb.jpg.74626dc05fee7beb3d5e5d97c5da3d9c.jpg

The third image is from the original S-II.stl (797.05 Kbyte), sliced as shown as it looks in Cura.

S-II_Sliced_2_in_Cura.thumb.jpg.d9f39fe6dca413e276dd2f5874635610.jpg

The fourth image is from the original S-II.stl (797.05 Kbyte), gcode wived with S3D (my "water" test).

S-II_Sliced_3_in_Cura_wived_in_S3D.thumb.jpg.5d52f4f6d46183f51e6463ffb0d6a56d.jpg

The fifth image is from the original S-II.stl (797.05 Kbyte), gcode wived with S3D (my "water" test).

S-II_Sliced_4_in_Cura_wived_in_S3D.thumb.jpg.40f8b72d045d37a19b02d0d3f8585f51.jpg

I would probably use some support, but skipped this for the sake of all details.

Ofc. there are "small" issues, but it is possible to print this object. (Here sliced for an UM2E).

I'm just say, do not forget the older versions of Cura -as the can do pretty good slicing for mono nozzle.

A very interesting subject.

Thanks

Torgeir

@Torgeir: I'm not sure this fixes the problem.  The original model prints, but it creates a horizontal surface connecting the conic section above the thrusters with the main Stage 2 cylinder. Unless I'm missing something, even Figure 5 still has that surface (the dark blue ring between the conic section and the cylinder).  The problem is that there should be no surface there, which would allow the Stage 1-2 adapter to slide up inside the Stage 2 cylinder.  With that surface, Stage 2 just sits loosely on top of the adapter instead of tightly mounting the parts together.  Am I misunderstanding your figures, or is there still that surface there (i.e. is there a difference between the yellow in the 3rd figure and the dark blue in the 5th figure?)?

• Like 1

@gkokes Don't get your hopes up, but there is a way this might be possible. We just need to stop trying to work on the model and think negatively... literally.

So if we can't stop Cura (or any other program designed to fix broken STL files) from filling in the conical section at the base or inside the thrusters, what might work is to create models 3D models that fill in these areas ourselves, and then set them so that Cura doesn't print anything there.

One thing that could make life harder or not: the details inside the conical section (these):

image.thumb.png.7b23f731d446bc4ef00859720019dea2.png

Are they especially important or is it not the end of the world if we lose them and make the inside of that area completely smooth? I'm just not sure how easy it would be to keep them if the model is so badly damaged.

Also, since I'm pretty sure by bringing this up I'm volunteering myself for it, could you please set up the model in a Cura project (even in its broken state), save the project and post it here so if I can pull this off I can just set it up myself and send you the project file back in a hopefully ready to print state?

Okay so tested making a part of it specifically not print. 40% success, 60% failure.

image.thumb.png.80105915bd088216304f83e53f2a5385.png

It does prevent it creating a flat fill in that area. Unfortunately many of the outside faces seem to be attached to these interior faces (in itself a problem with the model) so it cuts them out, too.

Even up this high it's affecting it:

image.thumb.png.89679991c5e69b3366ba3cc783dc4dab.png

Although the bits we're missing just seem to be the cylindrical bits, not the details on the outside, so that does leave room for adding them manually 🤔

The other way (which requires some manual post-processing) is just to make it not print infill in that area:

image.thumb.png.543d9e07f71b8074e488d587017057aa.png

Then the flat disc Cura has created to try and fix the model can be removed with with a knife (n.b. always be careful playing with knives, I've managed to cut myself through cut-resistant gloves). But the flat disc is also just a single layer thick, and I can reduce the flow to practically nothing (which the Cura preview doesn't render properly), so there might not be much left to remove if I can set it up right 🙂 

Let me know if you want me to keep going down this rabbit hole. Although there's a half decent chance I will anyway just to prove I can 😄 

@Slashee_the_Cow  Thanks for continuing to look at this.  I'm betting this issue is making you like Khan near the end of Star Trek II: "He tasks me!" -- this model is tasking you and you've gotta beat it!!!!!  😅 Do you still need me to send you a Cura project for this model?  If so, I'm curious why, since you already have the model (and the link to the NASA site since you also looked at the other pieces in the build)?  I can do it no problem, but I am genuinely curious why as I try to understand how all this 3D printing stuff works.

No, missing pieces would not be the end of the world.  This is just going to be used as a toy for my son and I to play with, it's not an attempt at making a highly detailed replica.  As long as there's a gap that makes a decently snug fit between the Stage 1-2 adapter ring and Stage 2 (I'd even be OK if the "snug" part didn't happen), that would be great.

Yes, I'm well aware of the fun of playing with knives.  I have a scar from decades ago from an X-ACTO blade going straight into my hand while working on an R/C airplane ... and all I was doing at the time was moving the knife to set it down on the workbench!!!!!!!!

How does any 3D design program end up outputting a model with so many flaws?  I mean, the bulk of this model boils down to a big cylinder and a few cones with some extra detail bits added on.  Or is that not how it's built?  I see some tools now where you just take basic shapes and add them together and/or use one shape to cut out parts of another shape to make complex shapes, or I can think back to when I took a CAD class in college (a LONG time ago, before we had the kind of computing power we have now, and that's the last time I ever touched any kind of CAD program) where every single thing was programmed via command line text.  I figured things had gotten easier since then, but maybe that's still the way to do things when you get serious in 3D design -- which also makes it easier to generate nonsense physical parts.

50 minutes ago, gkokes said:

Do you still need me to send you a Cura project for this model?  If so, I'm curious why, since you already have the model (and the link to the NASA site since you also looked at the other pieces in the build)?  I can do it no problem, but I am genuinely curious why as I try to understand how all this 3D printing stuff works.

Yep - not for the model, just so it's set up with all your printer and quality settings the same instead of you having to change them when you get it. You could just send a project of one of the other parts if you want.

I'm betting this issue is making you like Khan near the end of Star Trek II: "He tasks me!" -- this model is tasking you and you've gotta beat it!!!!!

Far from the only time I've refused to give up on a challenge 🙂 

I have a scar from decades ago from an X-ACTO blade going straight into my hand while working on an R/C airplane ... and all I was doing at the time was moving the knife to set it down on the workbench!!!!!!!!

Damnit, I have to try and one up everyone on everything, but I don't think I can beat you on that. The only half decent scar I have is when I was a toddler and walked into a big nail sticking out of a chair. And the only times I've cut myself with a knife haven't been bad enough for a scar. At least your story is more interesting than mine 😆

Sounds like you needed your workspace better organised though. Bit late now.

How does any 3D design program end up outputting a model with so many flaws?  I mean, the bulk of this model boils down to a big cylinder and a few cones with some extra detail bits added on.

I honestly have no idea. I couldn't create a model that technically broken but renders fine if I tried.

I see some tools now where you just take basic shapes and add them together and/or use one shape to cut out parts of another shape to make complex shapes

Some CAD programs these days are sketch based - you make 2D drawings, then extrude them or whatever, then you make other drawings mapped to faces on your existing objects (unless you're using FreeCAD, in which case you make planes which are positioned on your object) and pull things in, push things out, stuff like that. Others I have absolutely no idea.

I can think back to when I took a CAD class in college (a LONG time ago, before we had the kind of computing power we have now, and that's the last time I ever touched any kind of CAD program) where every single thing was programmed via command line text.

Sounds like you'd love OpenSCAD: you use a basic C-style syntax to make objects out of primitives. (I love OpenSCAD)

I figured things had gotten easier since then, but maybe that's still the way to do things when you get serious in 3D design -- which also makes it easier to generate nonsense physical parts.

Don't forget, whenever someone makes something idiot-proof, someone else makes a better idiot.

Speaking of idiots...I'm back.

Here is my rendition of Stage II

GV S-II.stl

No warranty is expressed or implied.

Use at your own risk

Do not remove tag under penalty of law

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I'd print the whole thing at once.  That will insure it fits together.  Here it is on my very capable Ender 3 Pro equipped with the "Ridiculoso 900 Z Lift Kit".

image.thumb.png.448afca2c8eb9ef95c78e436ef0c570e.png

281 hours at 0.10 Layer Height (high def dontcha know) and 440 meters of filament.

I think I'll stay up and watch the whole thing.

• Like 1

@GregValiant: If you want to have a "who's the bigger idiot" contest, I'm all in!!!!!  🤣

I sliced your .stl file, and unfortunately, the conic section gets changed during slicing so again there's no overlap of the cylinder and conic section for the lower stage to slide up into the gap.  I sliced it again without supports for clarity in this image.  Does it do that with whatever settings you're using in your slicer?

image.thumb.png.fe42be08f9992aedb35e4a0eff1c13e4.png

I'll look again.  I thought I had it there.

I get this in my slice.  The diameter I cut away isn't centered though.  I'll give it another try.

See you you have "Make overhangs printable" checked.

image.thumb.png.29c18177e09f1f8d57de6f59ef842f91.png

Posted (edited) · Inset Polygons Incorrectly Printing

I have not read the thread, just looked at the pictures. So I may be totally wrong but from that last picture it looks like you have the "Make overhang printable" setting turned on. If it is on, try turning it off.

edit: @GregValiant beat me to it.

Edited by ahoeben

My fingers were flying.

Alright, here we go again.  I've centered the cut and it should fit.  You might want to do a partial print to make sure things will truly fit before you commit to the full model.

GV S-II - 2.zip

Something like this with the models buried in the build plate will just give you the mating features.  You can abort once it gets above the rings.

image.thumb.png.f5c1ad3cab250359998b52292de53c0a.png

@GregValiant  That looks like it may well work!  I'll try burying it in the plate to test it like you suggested.  It does look like the new piece of the cone that you created is slightly bigger than the original cone, but I assume that's just the way you accounted for the plumbing hardware needing to be extended, too.  It does not matter to me in any way -- as I said previously, this was just supposed to be a fun thing to print for my son to play with ... exact detail is NOT the point.  As long as the lip of the adapter fits, I'm good.  And if it doesn't quite fit, I bet I can shave it down a bit until it does.

Yes, I did have the Make Overhang Printable turned on -- that's just one of those things that I said "I wonder if this will do anything?" since the cylinder overhangs the cone.  Clearly, it did not help and I still have no idea what it actually does.  Whatever it does, I'm guessing I'd see its correct effect more on a model that's not totally broken!

@Slashee_the_Cow, I'm going to try GregValiant's file.  As far as my Cura settings, other than telling it to use Tree supports and Cubic Subdivision infill at 10% (the first stage used Cubic at 20% and Supports were maybe Normal(?), and the amount of PLA it used was eye-opening).  But I now see that it tells you how much PLA it'll use once you slice it.  I think everything was the default Cura gave me for PLA.  If it wasn't, I would have no good justification for changing it to something else, since I still don't really know what I'm doing.

I used MS 3D Builder to alter the STL's.  Measuring things is problematic so I measured and then added a fudge factor.

"Make Overhangs Printable" and "Remove all Holes" are specialty settings.  They are good when they are needed, but they aren't needed very often.

You notice that @ahoeben also picked up on it right away (even though he was avoiding reading my scintillating prose).

• Solution

@gkokes Do not let yourself be deceived by the snake in the grass who goes by the name @GregValiant.

Slashee is your one true friend. Slashee just happens to live on the opposite side of the world and doesn't fancy staying up until 5 AM just to beat @GregValiant.

And to that end I gift you:

image.thumb.png.704845b85240b0f71e9ab1f0846b5c15.png

A single STL file with the troublesome section in the bottom cone removed AND empty thruster cones!

S-II-slashee.stl

• Laugh 1