Ultimaker 2 Source files

r2d2

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Source files

:mrgreen:

You guys rock!!

This makes me very glad to be a UM owner, even though I have no clue what to do with the source. It's just great to support a company that honors open source rather than crazy the patent-troll-nuclear-proliferation that is so many companies.

You are welcome! :)

We promised to launch the files during the actual launch of the Ultimaker 2 and here we are !

I hope that it ignites an interaction between Ultimaker and its users, its valued community members.

Together we can innovate, inspire, and bring this technology to a higher yet unknown level!

Hopefully it will also be convenient for those who want to make (smaller) iterations to the design so it fits their needs perfectly, and I hope everyone will share their iterations so everyone can benefit.

That is what is is about right. Sharing your knowledge, so on your turn you can learn from others and we all get better. Sharing your knowledge doesn't mean you have lost it yourself.

It is a big step and I am very curious to see what will come out of it.

At Ultimaker we all are obviously. :)

Have a great weekend!

It is very impressive to see a successful company grow and develop and actually keep to their original promises and ethos !

If this system works into the future and I hope and pray it does... Then many other small companies will be looking at the ultimaker business model with great admiration.

Very COOL !

Ian :-)

Posting a Sketchup drawing of the machine is a long way from Open Source, as far as I am concerned. From the files supplied, there is no way one could really reproduce the machine.

As example, I'd like to have some replacement nozzles with different diameter orifices machined. There is no way on earth that a machinist could work from the supplied .skp file to get the nozzle specs to work from, because if you extract the nozzle from the .skp file, you just get a collection of boxes with holes of partially-specified dimensions.

Oh well, I personally don't see a lot of value in Open Source hardware anyway...

It's not very obvious from that youmagine post, but STEP-format solid models, PDF drawings and other files, including assembly manual, are all in github, at https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2. While I'm sure there are bits missing (e.g. machining procedures and whatever the source format was that produced those STEP models), it looks to me like there's enough there to at least be able to reproduce spare parts without having to do too much reverse engineering. This could be useful if anyone gets desperate while waiting for spare parts to become available from Ultimaker, or wants to modify something.

I've been using freecad to open the STEP files; it can export .stl.

For instance, it looks feasible to print (in brass, from shapeways) a new nozzle blank, then finish it by drilling and threading by hand. Cost for that should run about $25 plus less than an hour of labor. EldRick and I are tossing that idea around over in this topic.