Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Please don't post questions or please limit them in this topic. For one reason - I only come to this topic once a week and it's to see beautiful prints and be inspired. I love to help people quickly so other topics I look at twice a day - I know - there's something seriously wrong with me. For another reason, there are so many posts here that your question will get lost or if you ask 4 questions only one will get answered. Posting a beautiful print along with "can I stain this?" is fine but asking about underextrusion or overhangs or mesh problems - well it's fine to ask but you'll get better answers elsewhere.

Yep, that's the exact noise I'm talking about. I think it's actually the material rubbing on the black extruder housing, way too much tension caused by the spool holder.

Hey guys!

Here's a little video showing up the squeaking noise,

If I just help it a bit by pulling on the filament to loose the reel, it fix the issue for a lil while. But then as soon as it get tight again, the squeaking is back again and It's really annoying on long prints.

http://instagram.com/p/oV5UrpOfJ7/

I realised something too yesterday. I was always having no problem with prints sticking to the build plate at first and the only part that had trouble (except some light under extrusion) was a hanging surface issue. So then I added support, throught mexmixer at first.

Then all of a sudden I start having trouble with print failing often in the first few layer, scrapped couple,

I realise that when doing support with mexmixer, it's like the support base are ''under'' the first layer of the model you are printing. So with those, it would start by making couple of layer of the support, and only after it would start doing the base of the actual model. By doing that after it was way too far from the build plate, filament didn't stick, came up with a messy junk of filament couple of time.

Dunno if anyone encountered the issue?

I did test last night and did my own support in zbrush. It sure takes longer but with those, the base of the model and the support where at the same level, Both started printing their first layer at the same time, no issue!

I've been having some real problems with blockages in the nozzle but I seem to have the printer going again. I think the main culprit is the cheep white PLA. Although it has a superior finish compared with other brands that I have used there does seem to be one drawback. It tends to grind up in the feeder mechanism more than other PLA. I believe it was the dust from the white PLA getting ground up in the feeder that has been causing the blockages. I tried printing Batman 4 times in the white material and each time the print failed due to blockage after about 15-20 hours. After declogging and cleaning a few times I decided to switch to colorfabb blue/grey and try again. This time I printed smaller at 16 hours as I just wanted to get this done. Print came out great and I printed another one strait after with no problems.

Here are some pics. Once I've taken some better pictures I will upload this guy to thingiverse so you guys can all have a go at printing him.

14082821629_5d3883c519_h.jpg14289648203_32e0968e5e_h.jpg14269474005_b7d7640d53_h.jpg14082826478_5118797231_h.jpg14269054604_fee05eb4ab_b.jpg14082817459_dd151f319a_h.jpg

The chin will require a bit of clean up and I just bought a mini rotary tool so I'm looking forward to that.

14246357006_fbca517058_h.jpg

The "ghosting" is usually called Ringing. You can fix it by lowering acceleration (but leave the speed the same). It shouldn't slow down your print much. Here are some experiments with photos where someone was able to get rid of it:

Post #8 here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2532-prevent-ringing-wobbly-surface-after-sharp-corners/?p=18006

A not so productive weekend but i managed to print a gift in Woodfill fine.

My first attempt a this print resulted in a severe clog that took several hours of atomic bombing :mrgreen: but finally i get out of the trouble. As i already mentionned in another topic, i think it clogged because of the retractions... will have to find some information about this somewhere :)

Anyway here's the result:

20140523 215247

20140523 215234

20140523 215227

20140523 215219

20140523 215214

20140523 215201

The person i gave this to is going to paint it, i will post pictures once it is done.

Except that i tried a print for a request from myminifactory who wanted a batch of 6 of these gimballs produced but the result is not very nice. Anyway it's my first complex object with meshmixer support and overall it worked well but i have horrible overhangs at the bottom.

20140525 141111

I forgot to take pics of the ball cleaned :oops:

I finally tried the galaxy blue filament from faberdashery along with the aurora UV active

Here is the cryptex I made

cryptex

And here is the same one under UV light

cryptex Uv

This aurora filament is looking nice !

That UV filament is so cool, didn't even know that existed.

Might make for some pretty neat effects when duel heads become more common!

Nothing super fancy, but I was particularly happy how my custom support worked out! Paticularly because there is virtually no good angles to print this shape.

IMG_20140525_033617-1024x576.jpg

snapped off easily and cleanly.

IMG_20140525_033825-1024x576.jpg

Gotta celebrate the little things. :p

This is very interesting, GR5, I checked and it says to put it at 3000mm/s, mine was already at 3000mm/s do you think a lower acceleration would be even better?

The "ghosting" is usually called Ringing. You can fix it by lowering acceleration (but leave the speed the same). It shouldn't slow down your print much. Here are some experiments with photos where someone was able to get rid of it:

Post #8 here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2532-prevent-ringing-wobbly-surface-after-sharp-corners/?p=18006

This is very interesting, GR5, I checked and it says to put it at 3000mm/s, mine was already at 3000mm/s do you think a lower acceleration would be even better?

Try 1500, Fixed the ringing for me. And doesn't feel like an earthquake on my table.

Had a play with woodfill and some stains...

Bud

bud1

wood vase

wood vase stain

Building a little army of robots! :D

Ultimaker robot vs ED-209 from RoboCop

Wow cory3s, the wood stain looks awesome! How did you do it? Brand?

Imagine the artistic gifts one could print with this...

Two new ones by my wife :)

IMAG0714

IMAG0711

(All her own work in Sculptress/printed on a Ultimaker1 and painted by hand)

We were quite pleased it stands upright on its own - perfect posture there without needing weighted feat.

Nice prints :) and nice model

The horns must have been hard to print

@Cor3ys: nice paintings on the woodfill. I guess this is still with colorfabb woodfill fine? Can you tell me if you enable retractions on your prints with this filament? And if you use different settings than the profile found on colorfabb's website?

@Vinay: Trying to conquer the world? :mrgreen:

I had a bit of spare time yesterday, mainly due to the fact that the UK weather was SO BAD. Rain, rain and RAIN.

I bought some sexy new filament from Faberdashery. Its called Robot Silver. Once printed its a nice bright grey/silver but with spec`s of shinier silver, almost metallic finish. It printed very nicely and the colour shows the detail very well. Pictures do not show the colour too well i dont think.

To test the new material out I thought it was about time I printed braddock`s wicked Ieyo bust. Printed at 0.08 layers @ varying speeds.

: EDIT : I moved this post, accidentally posted it into cgbobs personal thread :p

That's a very nice color the print looks really well finished :) what scale is it? Did you print with infill?

Didier, thanks mate. There is no infill at all, just printed with 1.2mm walls. The quality of braddocks model is superb. I printed it at 140mm tall. When it got to the antenna on top of his head, I slowed the print down quite a lot and decreased material temp to 195, worked out well.

Wow cory3s, the wood stain looks awesome! How did you do it? Brand?

Imagine the artistic gifts one could print with this...

I just used off the shelf Ronseal wood stain and applied with a brush nothing more than that :-)

@Cor3ys: nice paintings on the woodfill. I guess this is still with colorfabb woodfill fine? Can you tell me if you enable retractions on your prints with this filament? And if you use different settings than the profile found on colorfabb's website?

Yes it is with the fine woodfill and i did not use colorfabb profile as i wanted a much smoother finish, so i used a layer of 0.2 temp 197 speed 50 and with retractions on, hope that helps. so far no clogs...

Hey guys, I designed a couple of useful items and printed them out this past weekend;

It fits my phone while it's in a case and I can flip it up to see the display screen behind if needed. I was surprised to find it fit so perfectly in the center dash. It's made of ABS plastic to prevent melting in the car, now I definitely need to get green ABS :)

Also, I used the line support material in Cura and got almost perfect removal of the support material needed to print the lips in the bezel of the phone holder. I've heard ABS layers are more difficult to stick together, so perhaps the tangential contact the support material has works even better in ABS.

i1oM3L7.jpg

WyL7YwG.jpg

The tool rack has holes for another couple of modules I haven't designed yet; I primarily use the xacto knives but the other tools come in handy sometimes.

rzWkjl4.jpg

QlYSlZZ.jpg

Nice phone holder Aaron looks very clean :)

Had a little fun yesterday with the latest ultimaker design on youmagine. My girlfriend now definitely thinks i've lost my mind and am ready to be sent to a hospital for mad people :mrgreen:

20140527 193833

20140527 193846

I don't understand why she doesn't find me sexy as hell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek:

20140527 193929

Looney bin time!!

Thanks Didier; lol I like your latest print! Sounds like your GF needs to get sent to the mental asylum, those glasses add at least 10 sexy points to those who wear them.

Proof of concept I have been wanting to try. Everyone has clicky pens so we all have access to traditional inexpensive non special springs. This design is a spring loaded detent and could be used to hold something in place without screws or adhesive. The next version might have a round plunger for less friction on the object.