Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

the eiffel tower one looks like an interesting challenge. what settings did you use for that? support? speed?
I think we can't easily avoid it burning near the tip without additional cooling fans but otherwuise it might be possible.

Took a journey back to Fractal Land. This is an actual Julia slice that I then manipulated a bit. I am printing out a revised version of this right now. But this is printed at 0.2mm Layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle width. I did push the line width to 0.64mm to thicken the walls. Took a while to print and almost filled the print bay to the upper limit. I do not think the buildplate dropped more than1cm when finished. Height by Cura measurement is 260mm. Pretty darned solid with just two walls at the line width specified. Why not use one of my spiffy 0.8 nozzles if I am going to do this? Just trying things out is all. Used bunches of PVA though LOL. Made with Translucent Red PLA. Redesign is being printed right now with one wall at 0.64mm in FilamentOne's Clear Iceland Blue.

JuliasFlower_01.thumb.jpg.04b7ce47b1e251164d3b688eaf221d66.jpg

JuliasFlower_02.thumb.jpg.343139c74ddce19bc2a82c636c2723d1.jpg

JuliasFlower_03.thumb.jpg.98d1fe2075d837447c9ac67b3741b352.jpg

JuliasFlower_04.thumb.jpg.2147ee6773eb6b27f153d761611b59a0.jpg

JuliasFlower_05.thumb.jpg.85dd39878b9a8c96ef792d1f266f1657.jpg

JuliasFlower_06.thumb.jpg.b88080d7952ca4f384afa295d62fe9df.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

Damn your printers are busy!!! I need to get printing again. I've been in a lazy spell as of late.

Hahahahahaha, and, I am so far behind. I could keep them printing for 5 months straight just to catch on the designs I have waiting. It is helping having the two printers. Especially when most prints are 2 days at minimum and 9 days at most. I am trying to keep one on the long term (>72 hours) and the other one getting the short term prints. Once in a while, I get a print that is only about 15 - 20 hours a print.

Right now I have one of them printing twelve ornaments (told you I was behind!) 3 Each of:

Millennium Falcon

X-Wing

Enterprise

Jupiter 2

The Enterprise and Jupiter 2 I made the mesh for. The Starwars stuff I got from thingiverse. We will see how they print as there are some very, very spindly parts printing vertical and sometimes, they get a bit wiggy. Thelong spokes coming off the X-Wing are really spindly. That silly print is 71 hours at 0.2mm, but I put the 0.4mm nozzle to 0.26 line width to get some of the detail kept in. We will see........

I've printed an Enterprise-E from thingiverse back when I just got my UM3E. Printed it at 0.06mm with a 0.4mm nozzle and black PLA with PVA. It came out very nice, the little details were visible, and the nacelles holds nicely. I was afraid that the thin support would be too fragile, but they're not.

This is a print that will take 195 hours to print. I have it printing now and will let it print while I am away for a week. I had printed a version of it before, but it was not 'right' for what I wanted to do with it. The dolphins are printed separately and will be reflective, probably done with Bare Metal Foil. The whole structure nearly fills the print bay.

The bulk of the structure is hollow with thin walls and will be lit from the inside with LEDs and fibre optics and side casting Fibre optics. Sure hope the print does ok....... :fingerscrossed:

SeaMount.thumb.jpg.e72e6eac7fce3fb21012d61309f0645f.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

This is a print that will take 195 hours to print. I have it printing now and will let it print while I am away for a week. I had printed a version of it before, but it was not 'right' for what I wanted to do with it. The dolphins are printed separately and will be reflective, probably done with Bare Metal Foil. The whole structure nearly fills the print bay.

The bulk of the structure is hollow with thin walls and will be lit from the inside with LEDs and fibre optics and side casting Fibre optics. Sure hope the print does ok....... :fingerscrossed:

SeaMount.thumb.jpg.e72e6eac7fce3fb21012d61309f0645f.jpg

That looks like that is going to be intensely cool. Are you going to put the printer on a batter back up before you go?

9 minutes ago, fbrc8-erin said:

That looks like that is going to be intensely cool. Are you going to put the printer on a batter back up before you go?

It is on a battery back up now. I had it on one that the battery was too old and it killed 2 long term prints so I got a new one. But, it will not last more than an hour or so. I am just hoping against hope as it is an 8 day print. I have two of them going now. This is the original....not hollow enough and not enough lights around the dolphins.

DolphinSceneTest1.thumb.jpg.e1c8d826a89831b4c4772219efceb471.jpg

I can definitely see where it could use a little more light for the dolphins, but over all, that looks really impressive. 

Thank you. I am hoping I got the hollows properly engineered with some 'tubing' to guide the fibre optics into place. I would really like to not have another 8 day print to do. ;p

The whole idea was for this to look good while lit and just be nifty in regular daylight.

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

This the third object I've printed, the spiral vase! Very happy with it, all default settings, no support, UltiM white PLA, 200microns and no infill. 99% scale at 198mm, 6h 50min print time

20180228_055801.jpg

20180228_055748.jpg

20180228_055755.jpg

Edited by cdrose
    Added measurements
    • Like 3

It's not as impressive as the sculptures of my good friend @kmanstudios or some other stuff we can see on this thread, but rather it's on the 'useful and money-saver' side of things:

DSC_0167.thumb.JPG.09bae5bafff8d5620172c49ee54a5c4f.JPGDSC_0168.thumb.JPG.9fe29f80762b96bdfff5319fa2494e57.JPGDSC_0169.thumb.JPG.34b8ac052ff08780f3606a0bcf1089c9.JPG

Those things are small pieces for an electrical bed for a friend of mine who is paralyzed below the waist since an accident many years ago. As far as I understand his explanation, this little piece is some sort of clip that holds the mattress and the bed together, or something like that (he wasn't very clear in his explanation...  ).

The shiny one in the pictures (In the background on the first and on the right on the other two) is the original part (there's several to hold it all together), the others are the ones I printed on my UM3E using Nylon for resilience and durability. I modeled it in Blender, then exported in stl and printed. I still need to put them in water to remove the leftover of PVA, used it for the holes for the screws. As far as I can tell, they're the same size than the original one, and even the curves are very close. I'm always baffled by the capacity of the printers to print with such accuracy.

That will cost him 10€, he wanted to pay for them, thus he'll save about 3990€ because his electric bed isn't sold anymore (despite being barely four years old), and the shop where he bought doesn't have any spare parts and wanted to sell him a new electric bed.

I'll give them to him tomorrow, and I hope they'll fit as nicely as the original parts. I'll keep you all updated.

• Like 3

That is so cool! What materials did you use? I seem to have a dearth of imagination when it comes to useful things. I make just useless stuff. I really like this  and your friend is lucky :)

Way high on the cool factor!!  :+1::+1:

Please do follow up as I would like to hear more. Adjustments, etc., working right off the bat, etc......

I used the standard UM Nylon for this, since it's easy to print and I know for experience that it is sturdy and durable. And I only copied the design from an unbroken part that he was able to give me. It's a good thing that it has a quite simple shape! I'm not that good yet at modeling stuff... ':D

I hope it works right off the bat, that'd be nice.

For this sort of models, I would recommend that you have a look at the freeware 3D-editor DesignSpark Mechanical. This is very easy to learn (100x easier than Blender), and very well suited for geometric models like this (not for organic shapes). You can watch a few demo videos or tutorials in Youtube, to see if it appeals to you.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

17 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

How did the prints work out?

I heard no complaints so far, so I think they worked out fine. I'll know more next time I see him, my friend has notorious problems when it comes to communicating through modern means like emails, phone or texts. It can get quite frustrating at times... ':D

Switching from useful stuff to more nerdy stuff, I present to you the USS Excelsior NCC-2000, fresh out of the shipyards and ready for the transwarp tests! ;)

DSC_0174.thumb.JPG.e2cb0d2f3bdd3e46e9bd4b47494b8b9d.JPGDSC_0173.thumb.JPG.5ad9a2c51073953729e4ccab0bf4e999.JPG

Printed on silver grey PLA at 0.06mm with PVA as support. Needed about two days in the water to dissolve all the PVA in the small crevices like the tight space between the nacelles struts and the main body, and the holes there as well.

Surface details came out looking quite nice, and, thanks to the layers, the nacelles look very nice and have the same visual aspect than in the real model.

It will go well with my Enterprise-E that I printed some time ago, although it was printed in black PLA, maybe not the best color for a StarFleet ship.

• Like 3

On 27/03/2018 at 5:03 PM, kmanstudios said:

How did the prints work out?

Finally got some news: the prints worked like a charm, fit to specifications and they're holding up so far.

Hi everybody!

I don't own a ultimaker printer but I do use Cura. I originally started as just a kid playing with 3D applications like Google skethup. But with the recent purchase of my Duplicator I3, I have been able to take my skills further and explore the world of robotics.

I designed my first 14 hour print yesterday in response to a design flaw in my first print.

I am currently trying to make a 2 wheel remote control vehicle. I've gotten most of the electronics figured out, so all that is left is to print the chassis.

Just want to say that it's awesome to finally have found a community of other printers!

2018-04-24_02_33_44-FreeCAD.png

2018-04-24_02_32_28-Ultimaker_Cura.png

20180425_105648.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, Brulti said:

I present to you the USS Excelsior NCC-2000

Where the hell was I? I guess still recovering...sorry to be late to the party on this.....Way cool dood :)

Not enough pics though ;)

2 hours ago, PowerMechGuy said:

I designed my first 14 hour print yesterday in response to a design flaw in my first print

Hey! Let us know how it goes!!

2 hours ago, PowerMechGuy said:

Just want to say that it's awesome to finally have found a community of other printers!

Yes, but you do realize you are duly obligated to keep us up to date as you have a lot of mech nerds here as well. :) And welcome :)

It's alright, I forgive you @kmanstudios. ?

Welcome @PowerMechGuy! As Kmanstudios said: you are obligated to keep us up to date on your progress! ?

Just some craziness as I get well from being so sick :) This is not a fractal per se, but it is a recursive design and I used a 'DrooLoop' philosophy on printing them. I thought I discovered something new and well, no....just 'rediscovered' it, so to speak. Found the proper name and such, but this was the results I developed.

DSC02422.thumb.jpg.5c9b44597249180b4385c322f68611b6.jpg

DSC02423.thumb.jpg.c0f113e1c9c37be55131ea9bcec9c4aa.jpg

DSC02424.thumb.jpg.d5fc14147a3cb623201e663a71f353dc.jpg

This is something called a 'Fractal Quilt'. Well, it is a bunch of them stacked on each other.

DSC02425.thumb.jpg.b44ed6ddfecfd0a18d20523a29788c8c.jpg

DSC02426.thumb.jpg.6a7721e377110fd67f4eb5a936bc0e48.jpg

And, I wonder what this will be? Tee Hee ;)

DSC02431.thumb.jpg.dc22e36e7bb82180f5e7bbfdc22b7a48.jpg

• Like 1

A Mandelbrot? You are evil with your printers... ?

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

Hey, I'm back!

And I'm glad to report it was a full success!!!

I wired everything up and got the programming in order. It can go backward and forward and rotate left and right.

This particular project is powered by an arduino uno with 2 5 volt stepper motors. It uses infrared for remote control and a green status LED. The speed is minimal but the torque is excellent.

Now, I gotta figure out what to build next!

Pictures pending...

20180426_234118.jpg

20180426_234124.jpg

20180426_234133.jpg

20180426_234141.jpg

20180426_234147.jpg

20180426_234156.jpg

20180426_234220.jpg

Edited by PowerMechGuy
    Had to add those photos!