Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
30 minutes ago, phantom said:

My first attempt at painting skin tones, think it worked out oke

20180526_084540.jpg

20180526_084614.jpg

Painted with what? I have painted with acrylics as well as oils on my prints. What did you use?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Painted with what? I have painted with acrylics as well as oils on my prints. What did you use?

I use Etac Private Stock colours which is water based acrylics, they are for airbrushing but I brush them. I just use the basic transparant set which has 6 colours, white,black,red,magenta, yellow,blue with them I mix what I need. 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I use Etac Private Stock colours which is water based acrylics, they are for airbrushing but I brush them. I just use the basic transparant set which has 6 colours, white,black,red,magenta, yellow,blue with them I mix what I need. 

Cool. :) So many ways to do the same thing!

After a long time not posting, here is my first larger print:

This is a Moulinsart TintTin Monochrome bust I wanted to have for some time, but it being a collectors item, very hard to find one for sale,

so I decided to draw it myself, also to chalange myself. The UM extended barely fitted the head at 8mm to spare ?

Printed in white PLA, 0.2 layers, and is in 2 parts, bottom and head,

I still need to do some sanding, and hoped to have printed with PETG or ABS for easy sanding, but I still could not get a good result, and am still messing with the settings in Cura.

after sanding I will paint it as a matt white finish

IMG_0209.JPG

• Like 5

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

Very nice! Perfect likeness too ?

Edit: I took a look at it large and saw the vader helmet. It looks like an interesting shadow of TinTin to some foreshadowing of the evil to come......TinVader!! ?

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, kmanstudios said:

Very nice! Perfect likeness too ?

Edit: I took a look at it large and saw the vader helmet. It looks like an interesting shadow of TinTin to some foreshadowing of the evil to come......TinVader!! ?

Well, Vader is a sort of tincan, so... ?

• Like 1

Not a really recent print, but I finished painting not too long ago and forgot to post it.

StarFleet insignia commbadges used in the Voyager series and the last movies, before the reboot by JJ Abrams. Printed in PLA at 0.2, painted using acrylics paint from Games Workshop, works like a charm. The white one has been printed using glowfill and glows green in the dark quite brightly as you can see in the second picture.

DSC_0240.thumb.JPG.759718199d78c143510a8c11f4352363.JPGDSC_0241.thumb.JPG.0f78c1a94e01155e34bef48c7011ae54.JPG

• Like 1

Nice looking prints and paint job...I see you have a nice raised edge on the badge. Are you using brush to paint in the recesses? When I have those, I have started to use syringes made for paint filling into voids. It really is a bunch easier than painting in there. I have several sizes for different viscosities and details. Here is a decent link for you to look at if you are curious.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=paint+syringe&sprefix=paint+sy%2Caps%2C135&crid=1DKH7LVTQDTQC

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

Yup, I painted the edge and the sides with a very thin brush, just large enough to cover the edge and the sides of the edge without going over it. It was some precision painting and took a few tries because I'm not a painter at all, hadn't painted a thing since years before I did that...

I would never have thought about using a syringe, thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind if I get seriously into painting stuff. I'm not yet planning to print and paint crazy fractal stuff like you do. ? Or even just paint anything I print on any regular basis, mostly due to lack of available free time.

Edited by Brulti

58 minutes ago, Brulti said:

I'll keep it in mind if I get seriously into painting stuff. I'm not yet planning to print and paint crazy fractal stuff like you do.

1. I use it for things like you printed, such as the Toyoda and Bobavette things I printed. Flat with debossing. Not everything I do is a fractal ;) But the nice thing is that you can really get it in there and let the flow self flatten as it flows into the void. And, when it dries, it will shrink right into the corners nicely. I learned of this method watching an episode of "How they do it" or "How it's made."

2. For the fractal stuff, I usually use spray paints. Duplicolor, Krylon and a few others.....But those are the main two I use.

• Thanks 1

red_stanley.thumb.jpg.95d7fd4261360b9e292a17b8217b3e3d.jpg

Stanley Cup rockin' the red!

• Like 2

minifigs.thumb.jpg.38f204a7d192b3d178325f4449fc46a4.jpg

Student-modeled mini-figures (created in Onshape)

• Like 4

Who was the student? What level?

5 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Who was the student? What level?

I teach a 3D modeling/printing class to middle-schoolers. Final project was creating these in Onshape. Each of the three figures was done by a different student. Finished printing yesterday on an Ultimaker 2 using 0.2mm layers.

Edited by mechamecha
    • Like 3

cool ?

• Like 1

the fact that I have to ask but.. are these 3D prints or renders? I see some light surface structure but veeeeeery clean prints! How big are they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

the fact that I have to ask but.. are these 3D prints or renders? I see some light surface structure but veeeeeery clean prints! How big are they?

Haha! Yes, they're prints! They're about 4.5 inches/114 mm tall.

Also looking at that Stanley cup above I must say, you have your Ultimaker dialed in sir! Well done! 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

What brand of pla did you use? And how did you manage to print the top half of the trophy as I don't see any support deformities under the cup which looks like about 40 degrees of an angle. Very nicely made !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

What brand of pla did you use? And how did you manage to print the top half of the trophy as I don't see any support deformities under the cup which looks like about 40 degrees of an angle. Very nicely made !

For the trophy, I used Polyalchemy Elixir Merlot and Onyx (for the base). It's actually three parts: the base, the main cylindrical section, and the top cup section. The top cup section was printed upside-down and glued on.

For the mini-figures, all parts are printed with Fillamentum filaments except for the magenta, which is Innofil.

2 hours ago, mechamecha said:

For the trophy, I used Polyalchemy Elixir Merlot and Onyx (for the base). It's actually three parts: the base, the main cylindrical section, and the top cup section. The top cup section was printed upside-down and glued on.

For the mini-figures, all parts are printed with Fillamentum filaments except for the magenta, which is Innofil.

That makes sense, but minifigs heads look very clean as well so that had me questioning how you print it this clean.

I would have been really surprised if the tolerance would have been higher then 0.05mm. I don't thing it would be this nice. My guess was Colorfabb PLA, but had not heard of Polyalchemy or Fillamentum and i see they have the same tolerances.

Going to try those out sometime, thanks ?

Edited by phantom
    • Like 1