Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
is it possibe to post one or two bigger photos, so we can see the print quality.

thanks.

ian :D

thxs Ian...here's the best I could do....print quality came out fine for me....a little ruff at some places but Iam more concerned with function than looks....iam still working on the finner small pieces but it's gonna take a while....

close-up.jpg

My father was an avid coffee drinker until at an age where one hand started shaking so bad he couldn't even separate a filter, i even have a hard time with em.....so I made him one of these...just push down & up pops a filter...it made life much easier for him and could enjoy a cup every morning....so having this printer I decided too make one on steroids...lol...I think iam going to do a Real Madrid, whom I think is going to win the World Cup and the Dutch Team is going to come in 2cd....... :D

complete-side.jpg

complete-top.jpg

What's the green knob on the top for Daid?

Looks like a manual crank for the Z axis. That used to be a common trick with the old repraps (before the switch to two Z axis steppers) When the outline of the part is being printed you manually crank on the z if it's not adhering properly. At least that's what I've seen some of the guys at the hackerspace doing :)

-Matt

What's the green knob on the top for Daid?

Looks like a manual crank for the Z axis. That used to be a common trick with the old repraps (before the switch to two Z axis steppers) When the outline of the part is being printed you manually crank on the z if it's not adhering properly. At least that's what I've seen some of the guys at the hackerspace doing :)

-Matt

Thanks armstrom :)

The IKEA photo wasn't mine. So I can only guess at the function of the knob. But manual X adjustment sounds logical. (If you look at some more details, you'll see it's a Rev1 machine) And my Ultimaker-IKEA bag is yellow...

From the dual extrusion front:

IMG_20120514_091645.small.jpg

Daid the dual print head looks like its getting goooood :D:D

can i ask, im getting my first ultimaker in about 2 weeks, is it hard to upgrade it to a dual head printer ? or will that require basically a new printer ?

Best wishes and have great fun in NL.

Ian :D

To help me win over the hearts and minds of my bosses here in Leipzig, Florian was basically my white night in armour and had these test building models printed.

They were direct prints from archicad arch models that were only cleaned a little with netfabb cloud.

it is very interesting to observe the translation of archicad model information to a direct print model and because we can start producing our own house models in 2 weeks, we can see the translation more clearly and rework the work flow, so that the end result is closer and closer to the original 3d model.

Enjoy the photos and look forward to your observations and tips.

Project Rat House.

original STL files.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21709

ultimaker captures the window details beautifully.

i just have to work out away of cleaning the window sides a little.

sharp kraft knife maybe ?? or acetone ??

this is the full house.

apart from a little slippage on the roof... little.

my biggest question or concern for future models is ?? how to handle the bridgeing of balkonies ??

I mean, modern arch buildings have balkonies and bridging all over the place and i need to really think hard, how im going to achieve this, so the balkonies dont sag too much and also can look half clean under neath and not a gravity bomb ???

that is a big question now ??

wide open to ideas on this one ?

thanks guys.

the back of the house.

really nice window details and facade details but crappy photo.... WHO MADE THIS CRAPPY PHOTO ??? ;)

Ian

the small facade details on this 1:500 scale model really take my breath away.

A few tiny improvements here and there between printer and 3d model clean up and we can start producing really perfect house and arch models... that is the dream and that will be the reailty.... or i loose my job... hahaha :?

Ian

more jummy details from the other side.

Ian

oop forgot this photo.

a lot of treading inside the house model but i tested a quick clean out with a butter knife and got most of it out.

Ian

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!
    Daid the dual print head looks like its getting goooood :D:D

It looked a lot worse before cleanup:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120514_091428.jpg

can i ask, im getting my first ultimaker in about 2 weeks, is it hard to upgrade it to a dual head printer ? or will that require basically a new printer ?

It doesn't require a new printer. However, I would not attempt it on a machine that you also need for your boss.

I could not have done it without the help of Harma from Ultimaker and Jelle from Protospace. Who supplied the parts and helped assemble it. Even then, it's a lot of tweaking before you get the heads on the same level, and a bit of luck.

It also requires a new fan shroud design, which isn't made yet. I'm using the stock design, but it's so far away from the nozzles that you don't get proper cooling on small or tall parts.

I do think the "double clip" upgrade is very good:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120514_235612.small.jpg

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120514_235653.small.jpg

Which really seem to help in keeping the bowden tube in place. It does making installation a bit harder, but that should be worth it. Paul suggested this upgrade, so credits go to him.

Edited by chin

Here is the result of my weekend:

thor_preview_featured.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:29000

I had to print it immediately after I found it on thingiverse, I'm a huge fan of this model!

Here is the result of my weekend:

thor_preview_featured.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:29000

I had to print it immediately after I found it on thingiverse, I'm a huge fan of this model!

Awesome print. Well done.

Hah, that's awesome. I was just watching some StarCraft (iNcontroL is streaming at the moment) when I came here to check the forums. I have to say I'm tempted to print that one myself.

oh my god hoba hoba !!!

that is seriusly brilliant stuff. love the details and qualiy.

how many pieces are in this and did you use Daids project planner for the seperate parts ?

What was the print time like ? which print quality setting did you use with Cura ?

Thanks for sharing this amazing !!! creation with us.

wowww.

I know that one! It's amazing.

Printed at 50% scale, Cura RC3 defaults with 0.1mm layers: (it was my test print for the RC3 default settings, in combination with the project planner)

IMG_20120425_000441.small.jpg

Project 1:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120423 ... .small.jpg

Project 2:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120424 ... .small.jpg

Btw, if you want other Starcraft 2 models, I can manage to export them. (It will require post-processing before you can print it) I took a look at the battle cruiser model, but it didn't have a lot of details, the details of that model seem to be in the textures.

...how many pieces are in this and did you use Daids project planner for the seperate parts ?

What was the print time like ? which print quality setting did you use with Cura ?

I used Netfabb with the quality setting on "standard", so not so very high quality, lots of stringing and blobs on the back (not visible on the image), but I thoght 10 hours of total printing time was enough... Maybe I'll print the cannons on the top in higher quality because they was difficult to get right.

It's 14 parts in total. Its about 15 cm high assembled.

Btw. If you want other Starcraft II models, I can manage to export them

Yes please, that would be awesome, I need some practice in 3d modelling/editing :-)

Btw. If you want other Starcraft II models, I can manage to export them

Yes please, that would be awesome, I need some practice in 3d modelling/editing :-)

Which units/buildings do you want?

Which units/buildings do you want?

I moved this discussion to a private chat in order to prevent flooding the "Post your latest print!" with something that is not a print ;-)

IMG_20120522_214816.small.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23589

This is maybe the most difficult print I've designed and printed so far. It's a cat inspired moving key chain with planet gears. Basically, if you turn the big outside wheel, the inside cat face will rotate faster. It's fascinating to look at, and irresistible to play with (as Harma proved)

As for difficult to print. There is no glue in there, no screws, it's all held together by plastic. The big wheel was printed first, then the 3 small gears that you cannot really see right now. Then the center gear with the cat face was printing, however, during this print you need to insert the big wheel, as it gets sealed between the gear and the face.

Finally, the case is printed, which seals the catface with all the gears. And then you need to make sure the bridges are not sticking to the wheel, and that everything still moves. Took me a few tries to get everything right. But sealing gears in prints really works great.

Daid, how did you insert items into the print whilst printing? if you pause, doesn't plastic keep leaking out the nozzle and make a mess of the print, and presumably you have to watch that the item you insert isn't higher than the current z level or you'll foul the head on subsequent layers?

I have a filter i'd like to insert into a holder whilst printing and would appreciate any tips since I haven't succeeded yet!

Nice Daid, this would be nice to see in the next version of the project planner in Cura. So not only ordering separate items in the print but also half items :-)