Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Not bad :)

What filament is this?

I've had excellent adhesion with the "Raven Super Premium PLA" from qu-bd.com. Just have to print hot enough so that the material goes from matte to shiny. But that only works for larger parts, if you put layers on top of each other too quickly, it all melts up :(

very cool ! thank you :-)

by the way to all the other little printing geniuses that float around this tread... check out my new christmas design competition...:-)

Ian

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3546-the-gingel-bells-ultimaker-christmas-competition/&do=findComment&comment=27111

Thanks SandervG, the size is approx 12cm height.

Here is the second one, printed too fast it seems, but in reality the defects are less visible.

Modeled with Blender of course, using displacement modifier. With this type of very high poly models, I would like to be able to disable the autoslicing, takes hours on my laptop...

I really love how the white PLA plays with light

dsc01727.jpg

dsc01726.jpg?i=1709034430dsc01700.jpg?i=101427821

oh wow... i love when someone surprises me with not only nice prints... but amazing amazing design ! :-)

Can you tell me how you cut these patterns out with different depths on a curved surface in your 3d program ?

Ian :-)

Thanks Ian,

I will have to take time to make a tutorial when I finish the whole serie (and participate to the GinGels Bells contest :-P )

To make it short:

I use two modifiers on a quite basic mesh:

A subsurf modifier to add a LOT of faces

A displace modifier that moves the points depending of a procedural texture generated by blender.

You have to play a lot with the procedural textures settings to get really what you want, which you never achieve, but tweaking around you once in a while manage unexpected results that sometimes are better than your initial aim :mrgreen: .

Hi All, I'm waiting to receive my UM2 at the moment. I've been using an Afinia for 12 months and been delighted with it. I only print ABS models. Does anyone have any really nice examples of medium to large ABS prints done with the UM2?

I'm also interested in ABS prints done on the UM2. I have an UP plus, and larger prints was the main reason for purchasing the (yet to arrive) UM2. If anybody has some, please show.

Um2 energyChain

Look to the left ;)

Nice and clean....great job.

Can i download the design somewhere?

robert... brilliant !! it just looks like it belongs to the UM 2 ! :-)

Ian :-)

This looks very nice. Sorry to ask again - where did you get the model from?

The model came from sweat and tears :lol: It took a "couple" of generations (even the ones connected to each other aren't all identical) to get it the way I wanted AND make it actually work in the first place...

chainGenerations

I'll put up the files tomorrow.

Ian: That was the plan ;)

I whish I could follow users on YouMagine or at least create favorites. Right now I am bookmarking the model url directly - 1990 style...

Love the look of the cable chain! Nice job, Robert!

Not sure if this technically counts as a 'print'... but my http://www.the3doodler.com arrived yesterday, and I've been playing with it....

3Doodled Cat

I think it probably helps to know a bit about 3D printing to get started with it... but equally I think there's a lot we can learn about extrusion, bridging etc by experimenting with it. You get a much better feel for how the plastic behaves as it draws out and cools, when you're controlling it by hand. :-)

Nice one Robert, and quite properly featured on Youmagine.

Just don't expect Thingiverse to feature it :-P :-P .

Which cad program did you use?

Yer, that does look like a really nice solution. ABS or PLA?

WoofysPlace: What? Why on earth wouldn't they feature it? :p I used SolidWorks.

Simon: I printed it with PLA from Faberdashery.

Some more christmas lights, once again modelled in Blender. This one was not very easy to print, the result is not very clean (a lot of lines and a lot of samll blobs):

dsc01746.jpg

dsc01748.jpg

dsc01753.jpg

This one uses procedural textures too, two layers of them, for displacement;

dsc01773.jpg

dsc01768.jpg

dsc01761.jpg

This is the tallest print I have made so far, printed on my Ultimaker+ at 0.3mm layer height and is 36cm tall :)

it was a test to see if my new Alu Z-platform would move smoothly, as I was getting gaps when it got stuck several times, due to being too light.

took around 4 Hours to print.

IMG_1021s.jpg

IMG_1022s.jpg