Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

So... yet another torture test for the Ultimaker². This was printed at 30mm/s, 225ºC, 0.1mm layers - in Faberdashery Bling Bling Gold filament.

Cells Bowl by Dizingof

This took a (for me) massive 44 hours to print - during which time it racked up over 147000 retraction cycles (an average of about 1 retraction every second for almost 2 days straight). The print used only about 18 meters of filament - but the extruder actually completed over 1.6km of filament travel, moving the filament back and forth through all those retractions.

Once again the print quality is hard to fault. I added some brim to help the bottom stick, but no other support. There was just the faintest hint of some drooping in the bridging that closed up some of the cell shapes, but a couple of minutes with a scalpel took care of all of those. No signs of underextrusion, nor any ill-effects from the repetitive retractions.

Cells Bowl by Dizingof - Close Up

Cells Bowl by Dizingof

what cura version are you using may i ask ? and which settings ?

The print result is just stunning.. or mind blowing... what ever better fits ;-)

Ian :-)

It was sliced - as were all of my recent prints I posted here - in Cura 13.11.2. All the prints are zero infill. 0.8mm shell.

The Cells Bowl was 0.1mm layers, 0.6mm top/bottom, at 225ºC nozzle a 60ºC bed temp. Oh, and I lopped off the bottom couple of mm of the STL file to give a flatter bottom for printing purposes.

Amazing!

I'm going to be well chuffed if I get results like that from my UM2.

I did print one on my UM1, about a year ago: scaled down a little, but basically the same. At the time I was pleased that it printed at all, although the quality is nothing like as good as this one turned out - but then again, I wasn't really trying for the very best quality, and it took a heck of a lot less time too. So i certainly wouldn't claim that that rather blobby print is in any way representative of what the UM1 was capable of. But at the same time, my gut tells me I could never get it as good as the UM2 version. It's hard to describe, but as I watch the UM2 print, there's a sense of deliberate precision that the UM1 just doesn't quite have.

Woohw...

Like to see one from a UM1...

but as I watch the UM2 print, there's a sense of deliberate precision that the UM1 just doesn't quite have.

Ha! :) I don't buy it. I'm not convinced the UM1 can't do just as good if you print just as slow and have your retraction "tuned".

I recieved my UM2 on Monday, and I'm happy with the results I'm getting so far... would still like to improve undercut quality.

Wow! Nice paint job! I thought this was an 8 inch part until I looked at the other image that includes your fingers!

dirty

Ha! I don't buy it. I'm not convinced the UM1 can't do just as good if you print just as slow and have your retraction "tuned".

I did print one on my UM1, about a year ago: scaled down a little, but basically the same. At the time I was pleased that it printed at all, although the quality is nothing like as good as this one turned out - but then again, I wasn't really trying for the very best quality, and it took a heck of a lot less time too. So i certainly wouldn't claim that that rather blobby print is in any way representative of what the UM1 was capable of. But at the same time, my gut tells me I could never get it as good as the UM2 version. It's hard to describe, but as I watch the UM2 print, there's a sense of deliberate precision that the UM1 just doesn't quite have.

:-P I can feel a contest in the air! :-P

where can we find the STL File?

:-P I can feel a contest in the air! :-P

where can we find the STL File?

I originally got it from Thingiverse as a freebie. When he left Thingiverse, Dizingof took the file down, and didn't repost it on his commercial site. However, after seeing the photos I posted, he added it back to his inventory last night, and I see he's using my photos...

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/cells-bowl-math-art-by-dizingof-10975

It's a little funny how he's all up in arms about his designs being abused (rightfully so of course) and then use your images and puts the smallest possible little note to say where it came from. Hell, in a couple of pics the URL is even cut off.

The other thing to note on the settings is that I turned off 'Combing' and set retraction to happen on any move over 1mm, with a 0mm minimum extrusion distance.

When I had combing turned on, I was getting too many moves where it chose not to retract, leading to oozing and subsequent under-extrusion and/or blobbing on the outsides where oozed filament would catch as it moved between islands. I'm not sure if the worst of those problems were due to the bug where retraction didn't trigger on moves less than 10mm (which should now be fixed), or whether it's just because combing implies not retracting on internal moves.

Personally, I think my tests have shown that on the UM2 at least, retraction is very robust now (and also fast, and quiet). I don't have a problem with it retracting on pretty much every move (except perhaps when moving between adjacent lines of solid infill). I still think there's value in combing - i.e., moving within the print volume, rather than crossing perimeters unnecessarily. But I don't think that should imply no retraction. Not retracting leads to oozing, pressure loss, and subsequent under-extrusion, and also leaves ugly scars on horizontal surfaces.

what cura version are you using may i ask ? and which settings ?

The print result is just stunning.. or mind blowing... what ever better fits :wink:

Ian :smile:

That's a very, very nice print Illuminarti !!

3dcase, this weekend I'll try to print the Cell's Bowl on my UM1 in high quality, I think I'll use Faberdashery's "Artic White" for that.....

Give the man (or droid) a hand :mrgreen:

IMG_1027.JPG

That's a very, very nice print Illuminarti !!

3dcase, this weekend I'll try to print the Cell's Bowl on my UM1 in high quality, I think I'll use Faberdashery's "Artic White" for that.....

Found something similar at Youmagine, as a 'typical' Dutchman I don't like to pay 10€ for a design :shock:, And to top the bowl, takes 30 hours to print. x2€ hr = 70 € for a leaking vase...

But nice designs on Dizingof's site!

I have the Cells Bowl already, downloaded it when Dizingof still had his designs on Thingiverse.

Good luck with the youmagine alternative 3dcase, I'll make the cells bowl print another time then....

Just another hand, but this time I tried to add details that are way too small to print

I did a test to print the hand details separate, and it work perfectly, at 0.02mm,

I just made a frame with a set of 10 pieces connected to each other.

and glued the details on the hand and am really happy with the result :)

IMG_1031.JPG

Printed the upper part of the torso, but I am not happy with the result :mad:

seems there is a lot of shaking in the printer head with bigger prints, I hope that I can resolve this.

it seems the bearings just don't fit properly, and can move slightly.

and also the support material was very difficult to remove, and I damaged the print itself,

when I had to use pliers.

IMG_1032.JPG

Printed the upper part of the torso, but I am not happy with the result :mad:

seems there is a lot of shaking in the printer head with bigger prints, I hope that I can resolve this.

it seems the bearings just don't fit properly, and can move slightly.

and also the support material was very difficult to remove, and I damaged the print itself,

when I had to use pliers.

Like to see the complete android assembled.

I would take a look lower than the printhead, the movement in the printhead bearings is the same for a high or low print.

In my printer the same happens, higher uip in the print it gets worse. I think it's the movement (shaking) in the platform.

It gets worse not only by distance to the swivel point (upper layer to platform), as well the mass (inertia) of the print gets heavier.

I guess you might want to look at the platform springtension or damping feet of your printer, perhaps add some weight to the platform. Slow down the print or the acceleration, ( somebody might know where to do that)

Here is my latest dual extrusion architectural model print. Natural and white PLA: more details in this post:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2346-first-tests-of-architectural-prints/

archi3dprintmodel4.jpg

beautiful ! :-)

Not usually huge fan of the dual coloured prints, as they look a bit gimmicky. But I must say this is a brilliant and beautiful example! Neat that you can see the inside structures.

2nd print on my new UM2 after the obligatory robot, Robert's total evil despicable wretched LabyrinthGiftBox.

This one is a little different, I used Cura's x-mirror button to reverse the maze so anyone who learns one get flummoxed by the other. My daughter and son-in-law are getting one each for xmas - full of sweets so they won't be able to give up. Heh heh! :evil:

LabyrinthBox