Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Continuing my UBIS retro-fit of my UM1 I designed and printed some belt tensioners. Of course, as soon as I had installed them I realised that Nick Foley's beautiful Reptar blocks + UBIS mount don't play nice together. The head hits the blocks too soon so they can't hit the limit switches. Dammit Nick! :p I think I can fudge it together to work somehow though.

BeltTensioner

Had a small video shoot last week, did lighting the day before the shoot and the hairlight was casting a bad shadow from the talent onto the table (which I didn't want)

IMG_00001841-576x1024.jpg

So I made this guy when I got home in an hour or so, and took it to the shoot the following morning.

IMG_00001844-1024x576.jpg

It blocks spill, at a certain angle. In this case 45 degrees on each side. Not the cleanest print, but worked like a charm!

IMG_00001842-576x1024.jpg

IMG_00001843-1024x576.jpg

Set the print up and went to sleep, peeled it off the printbed in the morning and off to the shoot.

Set the print up and went to sleep, peeled it off the printbed in the morning and off to the shoot.

That is the thought behind 3D printing!

You need it, You design it , You print it!

That is the thought behind 3D printing!

You need it, You design it , You print it!

Yep, my heart always jumps when I identify something I can improve at home and need to build it.

Here I hacked an ominous ceiling outlet to power my beamer. And I had to cover that ugly thing up. Created the "cup" in Moments of Inspiration in a few minutes (and this means something for a CAD noob). Btw. MoI is great, I think I am in love :wub:

beamer

Or these little guys. I had to re-route a toslink cable across the living room and noticed that I could wedge it between the floor and the wooden strip. And I needed something unobtrusive to hold the cable in place. Then started mass-production of these little guys (I think I printed 50 of them with clear PLA).

toslink clip

Here in Germany we have a big hardware store called Hornbach. They run a great ad campaign featuring real men doing hard work.

I feel a bit like these guys when creating my _own_ tools :)

hornbach ad

(they have the slogan "make it your own project". The words on the wall mean something like: "Words alone won't get the work done").

very cool home addons.. and i got to say I like the advert.. LOL ;-)

Ian :-)

Yeah, well mainly I do not know how to generate good supports that go outside of the model. ( that this is written in bold is a way of saying that i love to get somome help in that!).

Cheers!

I've got a couple good meshmixer links for you:

I found this video to be very helpful in actually constructing the supports:

illuminarti's thread about meshmixer is very useful:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3880-meshmixer-20-a-better-way-to-generate-support/

These two blog posts of illuminarti's, directly address meshmixer usage and tips.

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/12/28/meshmixer-2-0-best-newcomer-in-a-supporting-role/

http://www.extrudable.me/2014/01/02/the-guy-with-the-dragon-part-2/

There is also the meshmixer forum:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php

I also have a couple of tips, garnered from the forum and just messing around with the program.

1. If you don't get enough support contact locations, check to see that your tip diameter is not too large as a function of the number of layers used to generate the tip, as this will prevent neighboring tips from being generated.

2. And probably the most applicable to you Lennart, is that to make supports that contact the build surface, you have to click an existing support structure or support node generally where you want a support structure on the build surface, and hope the program generates the right support structure in approximately the right place on the build surface; then you can delete all your failed attempts :???: , and build upon the support structure that approximated what you wanted. The auto support function is a little buggy, but the workaround may be worth it.

Ring test print

layer height 0.06.... can you go lower?

temp 210

speed 30

Ring test print

layer height 0.06 print test

Triquetra

iphone 5 case printed very nice

iphone 5 gears

iphone 5 gears

iPhone 5 gear case

super clean print !! RESPECT !

Woah! How did I miss those gears last time I checked this thread? Your case looks fantastic! I hope prospective UM2 buyers come across images like the ones in this thread; this is enough alone to sell the printer. This forum is much more active than the MakerBot forum, with many more great examples of how well the Ultimaker product really works.

Browsing through this particular thread was one of the reasons for me to click on the buy now button :)

The phone case looks pretty nice great job :)

I made a simple youtube video of the Iphone 5 case build and you can see how easy it is to remove the gear and the phone case.. Sorry about the music I took it off lol so you can hear the machine and when I remove the case..

layer height 0.1

iphone 5 gear print

I've got a couple good meshmixer links for you:

I found this video to be very helpful in actually constructing the supports:

illuminarti's thread about meshmixer is very useful:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3880-meshmixer-20-a-better-way-to-generate-support/

These two blog posts of illuminarti's, directly address meshmixer usage and tips.

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/12/28/meshmixer-2-0-best-newcomer-in-a-supporting-role/

http://www.extrudable.me/2014/01/02/the-guy-with-the-dragon-part-2/

There is also the meshmixer forum:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php

I also have a couple of tips, garnered from the forum and just messing around with the program.

1. If you don't get enough support contact locations, check to see that your tip diameter is not too large as a function of the number of layers used to generate the tip, as this will prevent neighboring tips from being generated.

2. And probably the most applicable to you Lennart, is that to make supports that contact the build surface, you have to click an existing support structure or support node generally where you want a support structure on the build surface, and hope the program generates the right support structure in approximately the right place on the build surface; then you can delete all your failed attempts :???: , and build upon the support structure that approximated what you wanted. The auto support function is a little buggy, but the workaround may be worth it.

Thanks!

I have tried it again with a cat print:

The only downside was that when i removed the support , one of the legs broke off, and the model wasnt for 3d printing, so the ears came out bad.

Also, it looked like the cat was blowing bubbles out of its mouth due to slight overhang, oops ^.^ .

sorry for the bad quality, but my camera doesn't handle red that well.

meow

purr

Cheers!

Offtopic: next week Rhino course!

Grasshopper!

Still pretty good for a non-ideal-for-3D-printing model :D

Nice video Vinay :ugeek: i always enjoy watching stuff being build :mrgreen:

I'm just wondering, is the noise normal ? It's seems loud to me (i'm still waiting for my UM2).

Yeah, Lennart, the cat looks really good for a first try and on a model not intended for printing. Did the supports break away pretty easily?

Thanks for the post, you are a very quick learner grasshopper!

Nice video Vinay :ugeek: i always enjoy watching stuff being build :mrgreen:

I'm just wondering, is the noise normal ? It's seems loud to me (i'm still waiting for my UM2).

Thanks Didier Klein and everyone.. :mrgreen:

I wonder this myself lol but everything seems to work fine and I turn the volume up on the video its not as loud as it seems... I think its my movie editor, I usually turn it up all the way just in case I decide to add music.. But if anyone notices any weird noises compare to your own UM2 let me know Please I will investigate..

Yeah, Lennart, the cat looks really good for a first try and on a model not intended for printing. Did the supports break away pretty easily?

Thanks for the post, you are a very quick learner grasshopper!

Yes mister Miyagi,..

Actually the supports were a bit rigid to remove, although they looked quite fragile, that is why one of the legs broke off.

The point was that on the underhangs, a cluster of supports was generated, which was the hardest part.

Cheers!

I made a few changes to the default mexmixer settings. I like my supports at least 6mm diameter or even 8mm and the base needs to be 8mm or more and it's important to use "brim" in cura or the supports may get knocked over. Where the supports touch the part I set the diamter to I think 1mm or maybe even smaller so they snap off easily. I used wire cutters that got in there carefully and pried the part off (the cutting blades never quite reached any plastic).

Also I set the tilt of the supports as vertical as possible. Something like 70 degrees (where 90 is vertical)?

Also it's important to have fan at 100% or you get lips on the supports and they might get knocked over while printing.

Most of my Prints so far! Having so much fun with the Ultimaker 2, all the prints are layer height 0.1 except the ring 0.06.

I have PLA, ABS and FLEX I'll be testing them soon..

Ultimaker 2 all my Prints are layer height 0.1 except the ring 0.06

Great collection !

I just had to finish this print. I have been promising my little bunnies a new toilet for months now. So I finished the two main parts last night and now am going to print the special grill for the top to let the bunny poo and wee run through but not hurt their feet...

and before anyone asks.. yes i did run out of silver PLA !! ;)

bunnyt.jpg

rose for Valetines

As it's Valentines day and I'm a cheapskate I have printed my wife a rose.

Printed in Faberdashery colours.