Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Man, I've wanted one of those arms (and the skull even more) ever since I saw the movie the first time. They really nailed that model. I've looked on Ebay a few times over the years and often what you see is really crappily made re-casts of re-casts with goofy looking teeth and bad paint jobs.

Yes I really should slow it down like you say and go for better prints. Which ever my next project ends up being I will certainly do that. But I will continue as I am, and just use this project as a learning curve, both for 3D printing and post work.

I am printing ( trying to!! ) small finger sections at the moment, which are proving to be a real pain in the a$$. Redesign and rethink required.

Last year me and the girlfriend treated ourselves to a nice 5 week holiday travelling Peru & Bolivia. Machu Picchu was a fascinating place. We did a 6 day Hike called The Saltankay Trek, which took us all over the mountain ranges and then descended down to machu picchu. My walking boots are pretty bruised and battered now.. as are my leg joints lol.

When did you go?

Also can you show us a photo of the print surface of the green lady... what temp and speed did you print with ?

im not crazy happy with what i can see for flow quality.....

Difficult to take a better picture with my iphone 5

it was printed at 0.06 layer height

0.8 shell thickness

speed 50

temperature 220

Here is my last night print in translucent blue (I love this material)

Printed without any support

IMG 1162

IMG 1166

layer height 0.2

shell 0.8 (maybe I need a litle more)

fill density: 0

speed 50

It looks really good except a few holes on the top of the head

Hi to all,

today I wish to change my old serie 24 Vimar plate. Normally you must buy frame, pushbuttons, outlet and plate but in my case I have not enough money for all this material than I make this:

Vimar Cover

I designed three parts, for three different colors, and I used Pla filament to print those part on my Ultimaker2.

I never print anything higher than 0.06. I bought the UM2 because it was toted as being able to achieve 0,02! but I think that's misleading. Sure, the z axis might be able to move in such small increments, but other things like ooze and nozzle size mean there's no point. 0.04 is probably the lowest worth going to.

I went in 2011, it was the 100th anniversary of it's discovery. I went with a small group as part of a fund raising trek for cancer research.

This is me.

252747 10150197427911814 8237586 N

Back to the printing... we should start an endo build thread!

Yes I really should slow it down like you say and go for better prints. Which ever my next project ends up being I will certainly do that. But I will continue as I am, and just use this project as a learning curve, both for 3D printing and post work.

I am printing ( trying to!! ) small finger sections at the moment, which are proving to be a real pain in the a$$. Redesign and rethink required.

Last year me and the girlfriend treated ourselves to a nice 5 week holiday travelling Peru & Bolivia. Machu Picchu was a fascinating place. We did a 6 day Hike called The Saltankay Trek, which took us all over the mountain ranges and then descended down to machu picchu. My walking boots are pretty bruised and battered now.. as are my leg joints lol.

When did you go?

Here is my last night print in translucent blue (I love this material)

Printed without any support

Looks awesome Jonathan! The funny thing is, i just started to print the same Model this morning :rolleyes:

I down scaled it to 0.54 and print it in 0.1mm at 40mm/s. I get some stringing, but it looks really nice so far.

Im gonna post a Picture when its done.

Did you downscaled it or get any stringing? Or did it just came out of the printer like it is on your photos?

Looks awesome Jonathan, do you intend to do any post work, spray it chrome ? :)

it was just a test print :)

I will print it bigger and maybe with 1.2 shell thickness because there are some remaining holes with only 0.8 mm

I think I will keep it as is for now. The translucent color is looking really nice under sunlight !

Looks awesome Jonathan! The funny thing is, i just started to print the same Model this morning :rolleyes:

I down scaled it to 0.54 and print it in 0.1mm at 40mm/s. I get some stringing, but it looks really nice so far.

Im gonna post a Picture when its done.

Did you downscaled it or get any stringing? Or did it just came out of the printer like it is on your photos?

No no downscaling. Actual size of the model ! took about 7 hours to print with the mentioned settings

I think I am going to reprint it at max build plate size !

What temperature did you use ? I suspect that my settings are not the best one for this material

It cam out of the printer exactly like this ! I did not touch anything.

But look at this picture:

t-800 top

the top of the head is far than perfect with 0% infill

Also check this closer look at the face !

t-800 side

Hi guys and gals

This is my fifth print with my UM2. And its the first "useful" print (previous prints were just tests).

A little context first ...

After almost fifteen years of storage at my parents' I've resumed build of an RC tug boat. Hull is a bit over one meter long. Back in 99-2000 we - my father and I - built the hull. Anything from the deck up was still in the boxes.

Lots of ABS sheets with die cut parts. A few ABS vacuum formed parts for more complex shapes.

Here's a picture of the finished model (from the kit manufacturer's catalog)

catalog01.jpg

And here's a picture of one of the actual tugs the model is based on.

grunov_02.jpg

I haven't been able to find the wheelhouse which was clear plastic.

That missing part was the tipping point when deciding to get a 3D printer (*). I'd been following RepRap on-and-off for years but didn't actually get one.

Anyway, long story short here's the 3D model based on measurements on the 1:1 plan from the kit and pictures of the actual tug boat:

wheelhouse_3d_01.jpg

Here's what it looks like once printed in PLA (and some deburring/sanding):

pla_print01.jpg

I decided to print it upside down with the ceiling acting as a good "base" with Cura generating support structures. Printing took 15 hours.

Settings:

Layer: 0.15

Shell thickness: 0.8

Retraction: enabled

Top/bottom thickness: 1

Fill: 100%

Speed: 60mm/s

Support: everywhere (and Cura means it !)

Brim

Temp: 230°

Bed: 67°

Total: 155g of material (114g if support is disabled)

While the walls and windows look great I'm not really satisfied with the tapered faces at the top. Corners didn't print out very well.

I'm wondering how to improve the print quality. I could print right-side up but that would have Cura add a lot of support material (Cura says 355g total, that's 220g of support material!).

I loaded my model in Meshmixer and fiddled with the support tool. Suggested print orientation is tilting the wheelhouse 45° and adding very little support struts ... Might give it a try.

(*) don't we all have some rationalization for our geek toys ? ;)

Hey Calimero! i cant see your pictures :???:

What temperature did you use ? I suspect that my settings are not the best one for this material

wow i think i also have to Print this in full Size again! I am really liking this model.

I used black PLA from igo3d. cura said 7hours. But it actually took about 8,5.

I started with 225°c and scaled it down to 210°c but i didnt make any real difference.

Bottom/Top/shell 0.8mm

10%infill

outer shell: 35mm/s inner shell: 45mm/s infill 80mm/s

on the first picture u can see the strings. Second picture is after cleanup, and burning the strings with a lighter.

I think i have to work on my retraction to get rid of the strings?

Overall i´m pretty happy with the result.

P4060761.JPGP4060770.JPG

@JonasK: I am printing almost everything at 1.2mm bottom/top. This way you would avoid holes at the top (not the case here, but just wanted to mention it).

This is me.

Back to the printing... we should start an endo build thread!

That picture really brought back some great memories! What a brilliant place.

It seems the Endo thread has begun lol

@Jonask

Looks great in black. Now to spray with black primer and go for the chrome finish :) I`m wondering, does a 1:1 endo skull fit in 8" bed ? :p

the more i am looking at the skull, the more i need to get some metal paint :rolleyes:

Hey Calimero! i cant see your pictures :???:

My bad ! Fixed now.

You T-800 skulls look great guys ! Love'em !

@Calimero, wow cant wait to see your finished boat model.. Looks a great project. I would print it like you did i think but maybe slow it down a bit over the first chamfered layers?

I`m loving the terminator love around here LOL

Not criticizing the print, but I can't stand that t800 head! I've seen it so many times and it's such a poor representation of the real thing, totally inaccurate and the model itself is faceted and generally horrible! Having said that... this is the starting point of a project I've already invested some time into. This is the scan of a genuine endo kit I started with (rendered out of ZBrush, so the features are exaggerated)

For those who know about terminator merch, The "M1" Kit is supposedly the most accurate around, it was made in small numbers and is quite rare now.This is a scan of that kit.

This scan isn't great quality either, but its the base for my rebuild. I have folders full of photos, and the recast I mentioned for ref.

Also, the original prop from the film was hand carved, so it wasn't perfect, it hard symmetry issues, a bit of wonkyness etc. So, my version will be a little idealised and cleaned up, but accurate.

I'll share it once i'm done... then hopefully no one will print the abomination above every again :)

endo scan

Looking forward to that braddock :) I guess when your model is done and I've printed it is when I have to somehow buy artistic talent and paint it as well :p

this link I posted earlier is pretty straight forward if you just look at the chromed technique

Even in grey primer, it'd look pretty good!

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/character-creation-tutorial-metallic-painting-stan-winston-school

Looking forward to that braddock :) I guess when your model is done and I've printed it is when I have to somehow buy artistic talent and paint it as well :p

Hey Robert,

Maybe you don't have to buy artistic talent. Look out for your local "nerd spots" - you know, the usual stores that sell role playing game stuff. The locals are usually pretty good at painting figures. And if you print two models and let them keep one as payment, that should be more than sufficient.

Anyway... here's my latest print. Just another creature bust.

This will be the first model I'll upload to Youmagine / Thingiverse.

This print is 180mm tall, printed at 0.05mm layer height in colorfabb white.

bust 01

bust 02

bust 03

bust 04

Ultimaker : Printing nightmares since ...

Nice modeling though ! :mrgreen:

the more i am looking at the skull, the more i need to get some metal paint :rolleyes:

I am thinking about painting it in gold (RAL1036) the only metal color I have available at home :)

I will give it a try maybe !