Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Came up with a new lens cap holder because I thought my previous one was way too bulky. Unfortunately it looks like the f#¤"ng bowden is popping again since the last few layers are very sparse. And that's with a ridiculously tight bowden clamp on there, so tired of that problem.

2.thumb.png.ec801bdfe115dc5ac6f48eeb161f2376.png

3.thumb.png.ebd6bee7b67c1f244ee1da2654eb82b6.png

4.thumb.png.b44d0b6e042a94cb15188dafc477e049.png

looks really nice.

can you show us a photo from the side ?

How did you manage bridging the gabs where the band goes through? or just a lot of cleaning.

which direction did you print this one on ?

many thanks and congrats on a nice clean print !

Ian :D

ps. have you played with the e value in preferences in cura ? ijust rolled the number down about 30 and then printed, the wheel pushed gently slower and removed the bowden popping effect.

could help.

Ian :-)

http://daid.eu/~daid/gear.png

I haven't printed it yet, but I've designed a single wall flexible gear today.

Photo also shows some combing problems, and my new 3D window colors :-)

can you show us the 3d perspective of the print model ?

just to get a better idea.

thanks.

Ian

IMG_20121004_102248.small.jpg

You can also find it on thingiverse now:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31687

looks really nice.

can you show us a photo from the side ?

How did you manage bridging the gabs where the band goes through? or just a lot of cleaning.

which direction did you print this one on ?

ps. have you played with the e value in preferences in cura ?

Ian :-)

It's a pain in the ass to re-string the neck strap so I think I'll skip that hehe.

Just lots, and lots, and lots of cleaning... Man I hate using support.

I printed it as it's shown in the first pic. It was possible to print it on its side to reduce cleanup considerably (no need for support) but unfortunately it's impossible to print the tiny little threads that the cap is supposed to grab onto that way. I tried creating just a small lip instead of threads but with the relatively fat head on these printers it just came out too smooth and the cap came off a wee bit too easily for my taste.

No, haven't played around with that and I shouldn't have to, the dang thing should stay in place :evil:

This is my very first experiment with 3D scanning and printing.

me3.jpg

I have to work on the details as the scan is quite rough.

me2.jpg

My glasses are not scanned but design in CAD.

I used a Kinect sensor + ReconstructMe to scan myself. For cutting and cleaning the mesh I tried Neftfabb Studio Basic. The 3D print has 0.8mm walls, 5% infill, 0.1mm layer hight and took about 3 hours. I scaled myself down to 15% (...writing that feels scary...).

now that is seriusly coool !!!

great job !! :D:D

Ian

We've been printing Ultimaker robots:

IMG_20121015_173137.small.jpg

Production of last weekend.

IMG_20121015_173154.small.jpg

Earlier production run.

IMG_20121015_173206.small.jpg

Discarded because of too low quality prints, not just from this session

IMG_20121015_173217.small.jpg

Our factory wall :)

when does the UM 'stand' become a product?

We're going to put the files on thingiverse soon. (It's something someone created quickly, and the files where never archived)

glad to hear it, it looks useful.

what makes the robots 'too low quality' (material faults? machine faults? power cuts?) and what's the failure rate?

presumably someone figures out what causes the failures and fixes the hardware/firmware/software for future releases so one day the failure rate will be nil and then UM can rule the world?

NOW if only we had the automated build platform! Then it would really be a factory wall. How many robots do you guys print at once on one of those UMs? I figure you could fit at least nine on each platform, maybe more.

What is that box-like object sitting on the lower right blue UM in that picture?

I think I read/heard somewhere that they do something quite cute with the robot printing. They print the robot and then have the head crash into it from the side so that it breaks away, then the head moves down for another print. Or maybe that was someone else... either way it's possible to do that way :p

oooopppps iv done it again...

iv broken my heart... or atleast my head .. oh baby baby.....

:lol: :lol:

kinda sad, left this beautiful model to be printed for the last 20 hours, printing beautifully and when it came to the nose. the metal little thumb screw in the extruder decided to come loose. lose connection with the filament and i now have a 20 hour botches print.... yippppeee.

i think the ultimaker is an amazing 3d priner but the rear extruder has to be redesigned, it is dog much for too many reasons and i have lost just too many projects now, due to stupid grinding or this thumb screw coming loose and.... bye bye sweet model.

as the french would say.... MERDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Ian

ooops. this will make a beautiful print model....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32276

NOW if only we had the automated build platform! Then it would really be a factory wall. How many robots do you guys print at once on one of those UMs? I figure you could fit at least nine on each platform, maybe more.

The green and blue printers both printed 100 over the weekend. What we do is we have a special GCode script that uses the printer head to push the object from the platform.

What is that box-like object sitting on the lower right blue UM in that picture?

It's a catch tray, as the robots get pushed off the platform, this catches most of them (the rest was laying on the floor)

what makes the robots 'too low quality' (material faults? machine faults? power cuts?) and what's the failure rate?
    The push script is the main problem, it's using the fan shrout to knock lose and move the prints from the bed. If a print fails to detach from the bed then it can create a mess. One of the printer is having extrusion problems that we haven't identified yet. And sometimes the robot comes lose from the bed before it's finished. I think we have 10 successful robots for each failed one. But some failures cause a complete stop of printing, as when the robot fails to dislodge it cannot continue. A proper Z level is important, as well as the proper tape. (we use one that's less sticky to PLA then the default tape)

presumably someone figures out what causes the failures and fixes the hardware/firmware/software for future releases so one day the failure rate will be nil and then UM can rule the world?
    These printers are standing behind my workplace, and I constantly watch them. 4 of the 6 printers are printing fine right now. 1 had a plug today but was running fine the weekend, so we are carefully taking it apart to see why that happened. The final one hasn't been running properly after it came back from the NY makerfair, and so far is a mystery. (I'm spending most of my time on Cura, so watching and checking these printers is just done in between, which is why we haven't identified the problem yet)

Note that they had a LOT of abuse when transported back from NY. Every printer was missing a few screws as the vibrated lose during transport. We had to adjust all platforms, square all axes, tighten ALL the short belts and tweak the Z endstops. We have quite a few events coming up, so we need robots, working printers and other prints. But the usually work also continues, so we also run other tests on those machines. Busy busy busy.

The green and blue printers both printed 100 over the weekend. What we do is we have a special GCode script that uses the printer head to push the object from the platform.

Whoa awesome! Can we get some videos of this script in action?? Makerbot made some seriously awesome time-lapse footage of an ABP-equipped thingomatic printing out all the mendel parts one by one. Never mind that the ABP never worked for anyone else, it was a pretty awesome vid and I bet you'd get a lot of customers when they see that.

Maybe you can put a little printed bulldozer on the side of the print head so the robots are removed more successfully?

this one im not sure what happened.

tried to print my blue princess again last night.

set the speed to 50, infill 0, test...

every was going perfect for the first hour... then this morning came down, print head was still going, and pumping liquid pla. but the end product was not exactly what i wanted.

checked the thumb screw on the extruder and every thing is nice and tight...

mystery ?

or the print vibration, vibrated the model so much, that the new layers were not making contact with the last and this progressed until the work contact between the print head nozzle and the top of the model was completely broken, then creating a wire mess.... could also be the reason ??

sad :cry: :cry:

Whoa awesome! Can we get some videos of this script in action?? Makerbot made some seriously awesome time-lapse footage of an ABP-equipped thingomatic printing out all the mendel parts one by one. Never mind that the ABP never worked for anyone else, it was a pretty awesome vid and I bet you'd get a lot of customers when they see that.

Maybe you can put a little printed bulldozer on the side of the print head so the robots are removed more successfully?

Here is an early attempt by me:

It uses the front left screw to press against the robot.

I never got the Gcode to loop well though (M41 did not work for this) so I just copy/pasted the appropriate gcode several times.

I think there was a movie somewhere, but I cannot find it.

We are using the corner with the fan on it, but we flipped the long screw around, so the large black/alu part which is nice and strong knocks off the object. We also first to a fast knock just below the neck to get the robot lose, then lower to the bed and push it off.

On my long list of things I want to do, there is somewhere a design for a fanshroud with a strong side to push objects.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28561 is the one with the wedge

I just happen to be working on cooling, warping, slower fan speed on larger prints, and of course fan shouds for the v2 hotend. Using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21182 with 2mm of tubing between the shroud and alu plate, as well as some tape wrapped around the end to redirect the airflow away from the nozzle. Any other ideas for a shroud on the v2 hotend?

Here's my first successful print with Wooden Filament. I had some serious jamming issues that required me taking the nozzle off and cleaning it thuroughly. It seems that the wooden filament can char into clumps that are impossible to extrude if the temperature is too high, or if it sits in the hotzone for too long. The higher the temperature, the darker the extruded wood - however, the slower that you extrude it (or rather the longer that it's exposed to heat) the darker it gets as well. Even at 175, if you leave the heat on in one spot then the wood gets dark and will eventually burn. I had quite a few jams when trying to print Yoda.

To get this to print I upped the speed to 200mm/s in NetFabb at 180 degrees, which I think is effectively pushing the machine as fast as it's acceleration profile will allow. I did not do any temperature variation this time, however with the contour infill an interesting pattern appears on the corners where the head tends to spend a split second longer in one spot, causing darker lines.

More photos on picasa:https://picasaweb.google.com/102544598518008997408/3dPrints#5799851395013919490

DSC07844.thumb.jpg.192a4bc28d970357c90ff8202b716879.jpg

You can download the design from thingiverse now:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32494

So you can lasercut it at your local fablab, hackerspace or a laser production shop.

awesome, thanks Daid

I got my wooden Yoda to print last night... It's got a few defects, but all-in-all it's a 3d printed wooden Yoda... Very cool. This wooden filament is a little more difficult to work with than regular PLA, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it. Now to come up with some real things to print in it.

More pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102544598518008997408/3dPrints#5800189893445346018

Cheers,

Troy.

DSC07854.thumb.jpg.14794fcb08a7426e9b2c7fa7c5092249.jpg