Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Here is a link to the animation I worked on last month...all the models were 3D printed or cast from 3D prints I made on the Ultimaker 2 in our office. The landscape is not 3D printed.

Magic !

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

Finally! :D

Super cool. Did you do the animation as well?

Will it be on national tv?

Looking back, are you satisfied with result and efforts you put in?

.. what is next? :p

Its on air in Denmark already from Monday on their TV3. I was fairly happy with the result i can always do better (but time doesnt always allow me to), and yes I did the stop motion as well, which was far trickier that planned, just due to the placement on a few scenes, and working out the frames needed. The stop motion was a curve ball that wasn't even planned which is why i had so much issues with it and a miracle I printing it at all. The photo stills look much nicer from a purely visual point of view, as the lights are more visible in darker environments, but we needed more light to light the centre so the house lights don't show as much as i would have liked but considering the little time i had to make it all, and only on one printer, i think i did fairly well. And all the gnomes have been acetoned too btw, lol.

Next....well. I need to buy a printer as i will no longer have access to my work one so it would be nice to know if a Um3 is coming in the next few to hold off buying a UM2 which I plan to get in the next week or so, lol.

Also electroplating is up next, have been meaning to do that but have had no time.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@cloakfield, finally all is revealed! How was the snow done, considering you were using stop motion animation?

The snow was after effects particular, and in real it was sodium bicarbonate with pva glue and white glitter. My internet is dying on me so im having trouble posting, but ill post a little making of when im back at work.

Nice one did you publish it on youmagine?

Not yet Didier, it's just something I needed. If others would like to use or modify the original design, then I will put it up for all.

Doesn't the roll unfold on the oposite direction? I mean, that could add tension on the last part I think...

I guess your talking about how the printer comes with an adapter that positions the roller against the printer, sideways? My method here is something I've used since the UM2 came out. Before this design I had the spool in the exact same spot, but mounted on bearings that sat against the bottom/base that the printer sits on. I wanted a contraption that was mounted to the printer instead of one that could possibly move when friction comes into play.

Do you notice anything from the friction chrisp?

What about extending the handle a little bit so the reel can be on the side of the Ultimaker (and turned around) and the curve could be the same?

This setup works great and has, since I first starting using since I bought the printer. I can almost use a roll of filament to the very end without any noticeable problems. I don't see any reason to extend the handle to the side unless there is a limited amount of space behind the printer. For me this is not the case.

You can see there's hardly any arc and the filament goes straight in.

20151118_212519.thumb.jpg.4d5363943cb2f72388c518b94caa0afe.jpg

20151118_212530.thumb.jpg.fa51a3bfc113007d0bcfb87812bce88d.jpg

20151118_212519.thumb.jpg.4d5363943cb2f72388c518b94caa0afe.jpg

20151118_212530.thumb.jpg.fa51a3bfc113007d0bcfb87812bce88d.jpg

I think what Neotko was referring to is how the filament holds a natural curve and how you have the roll mounted the filament curve is opposite to the curve in the bowden tube. I guess it will twist in the tube. Can you see the feeder impression rotate as its going through the tube?

The stock mount the filament would only need to rotate 90degs but yours would need 180 to be in its natural form. Not that i'm saying you way is wrong or bad. I like the design.

Would be interesting to do a weight test to see how much weight is required to pull filament through the bowden depending on the direction that the roll is mounted. See if it has any effect and how much difference there would be with the different directions.

• Like 1

I think what Neotko was referring to is how the filament holds a natural curve and how you have the roll mounted the filament curve is opposite to the curve in the bowden tube.

Yep. I say this because we all know that the end of the filament that it's more curved it's harder to print. And also because on my spool holders (I use 1.75 so I might be wrong about this on 2.85) when the angle it's so different the twist curves the filament going from the spool and make some weird stuff. I suppose since 2.85 it's thicker the twist might be stronger. My crappy spool holder it's inspired on the angle change of the @ultiarjan spool holder.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Great work from everyone!

@Cloak awesome result on your animation!

Can you see the feeder impression rotate as its going through the tube?

The stock mount the filament would only need to rotate 90degs but yours would need 180 to be in its natural form. Not that i'm saying you way is wrong or bad. I like the design.

Labern, the impression doesn't seem to have any significant cause while traveling through the tube that's any different from any other method. No matter what the degree the filament travels through the tubing, there will always be some friction because the structure is forever changing, due to movement. I understand that. Remember, my main concern was to have the filament as straight as possible while entering the hole that goes into the extruder. The stock extruder created many problems with friction, then causing small pieces of ABS plastic to be lodged into the hot-end, causing blocks/clogs while printing with PLA.

When using a side mounted spool your fighting two degrees of friction instead of one. At least, that's how I see it. I would love to see some testing done, but I probably won't spend the time doing so. I can only say that this particular method has worked for me since the printer cameout. I'm sure this can be improved many times over. Thanks for your input.

@cloakfield, finally all is revealed! How was the snow done, considering you were using stop motion animation?

the falling snow was done in post using after effects and the particular plugin, and the actual snow was a mixture of PVA glue, sodium bicarbonate and white glitter!!! you should have a go this christmas!!! but be careful with glitter it goes everywhere!!!!

Not really a latest print but more of a work in progress :)

I have the use of an Extended while I'm waiting on some parts to arrive and couldn't resist adding a big Ultibot to go along with my tiny Ultibot. :p

ROBOT_0.thumb.jpg.096330e5d93d6879c3f19efc7aed7e71.jpg

ROBOT_0.thumb.jpg.096330e5d93d6879c3f19efc7aed7e71.jpg

• Like 5

A test mess around to see if it would hold together, and it did! still gotta sort out the bottom loop though, lazy modelling!

20151121_214326.thumb.jpg.620fe7d7ee00493d1240608a6b7a773c.jpg

20151121_214326.thumb.jpg.620fe7d7ee00493d1240608a6b7a773c.jpg

Edited by Guest

@cloakfiend, you still have some access to the Ultimaker? :)

Only for a few more days :( so I'm going to print some random things to finish up some loose spools. Then I'm going freelance.

I made an Award for VOM (Dutch Government Management), like last year.

Text was lasered in perspex and filled with white paint

ovvhj-2015.thumb.png.7db4c24dda74d1142fe894d21cd9e59a.png

5a33140b17344_2015-01-1813_14_41.thumb.jpg.32d8ae3e2b6bd20ac66ea61e94b95ac7.jpg

5a33140b4fc31_2015-01-1813_15_44.thumb.jpg.ce48445645eedcefcb77f58ef50a8551.jpg 5a33140b8f553_2015-01-1813_19_56.thumb.jpg.49330e4a8600ea372fe53b4d53ab74a1.jpg

ovvhj-2015.thumb.png.7db4c24dda74d1142fe894d21cd9e59a.png

5a33140b17344_2015-01-1813_14_41.thumb.jpg.32d8ae3e2b6bd20ac66ea61e94b95ac7.jpg

5a33140b4fc31_2015-01-1813_15_44.thumb.jpg.ce48445645eedcefcb77f58ef50a8551.jpg

5a33140b8f553_2015-01-1813_19_56.thumb.jpg.49330e4a8600ea372fe53b4d53ab74a1.jpg

• Like 1

Nice puzzle .... but 2014 ?

pictures are from last year, the same for this year with 2015 on it of course.

They forgot the award and phoned last Tuesday if it could be ready for Monday (23 nov.)

But I think it is nice enough to use for another year ;)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, me and some friends got together to 3D print and make some engineering. They start with a Lulzbot 4 and recently I bought a China Prusa like 3d printer.

I figured that it is not Ultimaker XD but this is a useful page I found. Anyway, no more off-topic.

This is my last print, the famous NASA ratchet:

IMG_20151101_143905.thumb.jpg.c606aa8c1b53105e3135d8d23318cb5e.jpg

Video:

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language. Also I couldn't upload the video so I put the link

IMG_20151101_143905.thumb.jpg.c606aa8c1b53105e3135d8d23318cb5e.jpg

Edited by Guest

20151125_140939.thumb.jpg.82325d73797adfc35e871d095a5d761b.jpg

Here is a face i scanned and retouched, printed at 30mm/s still got that annoying moire style surface, not sure what to do about that? how can i remove it? can I print something without getting it?... apart from acetone lol.

Edited by Guest

I would print colder.

And maybe, lowering the acceleration speed would help. Not sure.

How did you scan it, BTW? Overall, very good details and great print!