Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Halloween is coming up and I've been working on my costume.  This is a really difficult clue as to who (actually "what") I've decided to be.  Not fancy like some of the work here but I thought it came out well.

It's called the "Double Cross" and was awarded for saving the planet from Scammers.

It looks pretty great, but I am absolutely clueless about your costume 😄  🤔 🤨

Hi Kman,  You're not too far off as it's from the Cartoon comedy Futurama.  Bender Rodriguez the robot.

Gary Cooper said acting is all about the eyes so I put in a couple of sector gears driven by a lever on the side to rotate the eyes (I'm a better engineer than an artist).  This is my printed head of the "attentive" Bender.

1040427289_Bender1.thumb.png.155259f2223cf5b497b345af8d58ea74.png

Here is Bender feeling sorry for someone (usually himself).

2016966731_Bender2.thumb.png.894c82ecab48237376c844a543f838dd.png

And this is the crazed "kill all humans" Bender.

92820525_Bender3.thumb.png.2301282debd4869c69c695eac73f25b7.png

Ya gotta love a robot that runs on alcohol, burps flames, and smokes cigars.  Instead of a metal body I've been putting together a silver outfit.  I'm going for the "Bender meets James Bond" look.

BTW the two holes in the mustache position are what I look through.  There isn't an LED in the antenna (I thought about it) but it is printed with glow-in-the-dark filament so that's something.

First place is 1000 actual real American dollars.  I think I can give it a run this year if the suit is accepted in place of the tin can body which wouldn't allow me to sit.  This way I can just remove the head and I'm good.

• Like 4

I decided to make the LED antenna an option.  Yes, it will flash.

This is just random information...

Back a couple of decades ago I was investigating the cause of a fire in a CNC vertical mill.  The question arose as to whether the Gcode file being used had caused the fire.  I wrote a macro in AutoCAD to read the gcode into Model Space to create a representation of the movements.  When AHoeben released ArcWelder as a plugin I altered my code to include the G2 and G3 commands.

Since the antenna is essentially a flag pole (round everywhere) I was curious to compare the two visual representations.  I turned infill off for this since they are straight lines and would show up.

(BTW the regular antenna file was 12.5mb and the ArcWelded file was 1.5mb.)

This is the gcode representation of the antenna in Cura.

LEDAnt.thumb.png.14a42ceb77dfdd25fde5be70de06f550.png

This is the same Gcode file read into AutoCAD.  As a point of interest, the way I finally got the G2/G3 lines to translate was to draw construction lines based on the information in a G2/G3 line, make an arc between them, then delete the construction lines.  It was the only way I could figure out to make an arc CW vs CCW in AutoCAD.

LED_Ant_Acad.thumb.png.7acd974572a2bf28fb0583af3c4011ab.png

Back to the fire.  The company was cutting a large prototype die out of a composite plastic and since it was large they ran it overnite.  Never a good idea.  A huge amount of chips had collected around the workpiece and the cutter (50mm dia x 250mm long) wasn't long enough.  When it sank deep enough - the cutter shank rubbed on the plastic wall of the die causing the cutter to over-heat which then caused the chips to ignite.  The gcode had called for a tool change to a 300mm cutter but the company didn't have one and didn't want to pay for one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

So I won best costume although a lot of people had no idea who I was (you have to watch late night cartoons to be in the loop).

Is this a look or what?  I didn't have enough time to print the beer bottle.  I was constantly worried about it slipping out of my hand and smashing.

BenderPose.thumb.jpg.7b70fdb1c2767d33d832074d28dc9bdd.jpg

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 4

13 hours ago, GregValiant said:

a lot of people had no idea who I was

I hope you told them to bite your shiny ass...

• Like 1

Numerous times.  He's a foul mouthed robot after all.

I missed the target on the interior suspension of the helmet.  It kept slipping down and hitting me on the nose.  That made it tough to dance in.

It was hot too.  Maybe I should have put a fan in it but then it would need a battery pack and switch and things would quickly get complicated.

So you've broken the ice on Bender quotes.

#1 is indeed "Bite my shiny metal ass".

#2 is "Welp...we're boned."

My personal favorite is "I can't help it if I'm handsome and great at sex!"  I think it's cool that I've got a lot in common with a fictional cartoon robot.

Here is the DoubleCross on Thingiverse.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi, Haven't posted in a while but thought I would share my Barcelona door knocker scan print. I really liked the door knocker so...now I have a mini one! I made no attempt to reconstruct the damage to it or the scan result. ill add a patina and I think it may look awesome after. then ill clear coat it.

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.6fc78ec4a151220373094fe4d3554474.JPGIMG_0575.thumb.JPG.bba648dffbcc28b12a6f111236844a56.JPG

• Like 1

Hey guys n gals, I made these for my laptop because I move it around a bit on my desk (table).

It is for Lenovo ThinkPad style laptops to cover the little rubber feet so it can slide around a bit easier and without shearing them off.

I hope using reply to this topic is the right way to post a new thing.

FootPadsForMyThinkPad.jpg

Lenovo Large Laptop Foot Pad Protector.stl Lenovo Small Laptop Foot Pad Protector.stl

• Like 1

Yes, this is where you come to show off what you came up with.

I can't use your slippers though.  I had the opposite problem.  I have a shelf built on a slight angle that is mounted to my printer stand.  The laptop kept wanting to slide off so I printed "anti-dance" keepers so it wouldn't hit the floor.

Sounds like you should add a ring and a lanyard for extra safety.

Can you help me with a problem?  I upgraded to the new cura on my PC and now my prints are trashed.  What in the world have I done to my printer, much less my brain pain from it happening.  AAAHHH!!!

BrokenPrint.jpg

BrokenPrint2.jpg

In Cura and in the Preview, click on your printer name, then Manage Printers, and then Machine Settings.

Look at the Gcode Flavor.  If it is set to Marlin/Volumetric and your printer does not have "E in mm³" selected, then there will be bad extrusion.  Alternatively, if the gcode flavor is Marlin and your printer has "E in mm³" turned on there will also be bad extrusion.  The printer and that setting in Cura must match.

Under "Extruder" check the filament diameter.

Next, click on your "material" and at the bottom is "Manage Materials".  There is a filament diameter setting there as well.  I think that the Material diameter overrides the Extruder but I'm not sure.

If you have the Marketplace plugin "Printer Settings" loaded (good idea) there is a filament diameter in there too.

They different filament diameter textboxes aren't all separate, but I'm not sure of which takes priority and which are simply mirroring another textbox someplace.

That should give you something to (at least) eliminate as the cause.

b1.JPG

• Like 1

Storage container?

A much bigger version for more throughput? 🙂

It is either a prototype for the proposed Yottabyte drive (some of these words I have to look up!) or it's a question of perspective.

I know, I've used this before but I like it...

perspective.thumb.jpg.43f36675b54752e4288b235eb6b5fc08.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 7:09 AM, Smithy said:

A much bigger version for more throughput? 🙂

He could call it a USB 3000 'stick'

You mean like this... 

Patented 3d printed vertical wind turbines systems & blades presents Multi-stage system in action

Prototype.png

So my company has been pursuing the possibility of using 3D printed impellers in our pumps to validate design before paying to get metal ones made. Just had our first test with an impeller printed out of NylonX (Nylon with carbon fiber), and it survived! It was a fully shrouded impeller design with a 10" OD and they got it up to 3600 RPM, which produced speeds of 9300 ft./min. at the extreme OD of the part! And it was under load pumping water in our test loop!

Still have some minor issues to work on for the next time, but it was really impressive how well it did at those speeds! And we can prototype in plastic with 5-7 day prints at about $100-$150 per print vs. metal prototypes that took 4-6 months and cost thousands of dollars!

Sorry I can't post pictures due to propriety, but figured the story was worth sharing for those of you looking into engineering grade materials and printing! I will also say if you are doing big prints like this the material station is a must have - I love being able to load several spools of the base material and a couple of spools of Aquasys120 and just letting the printer run for 5-7 days.

Johnny Rodriguez

• Like 4

Interesting story and use case, thanks for sharing!

On 1/2/2022 at 4:36 AM, kmanstudios said:

Storage container?

You put yer weed in there...    🙂

I made a plant pot with the shape of some parts from Kerbal Space Program (a spacecraft simulation game where you design rockets to help small green guys explore space, planets and moons, for those who don't know it). It's a part of a supposedly crashed probe (maybe because the astronaut was busy taking selfies in space).

I designed the parts in Fusion 360 with rough measurements from the game running (literally with a calliper at my screen 😅)..

I made a small one as proof of concept and a large one 😊.

Printed on an S5 with Formfutura Galaxy-PLA and a 0.8mm Printcore. The badge is printed with Ultimaker PLA (the blue one is pretty old, it even is on a black spool 😅, but printed fine) and two 0.25mm Printcores.

The small one is printed with the regular 0.4mm Cores.

(I know my glass plate is upside down, but the other side is pretty used up and has pieces torn out of it).

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

20220208134934_1.jpg

IMG_1531.jpeg

Edited by glx
    • Like 2