Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Halloween is coming up and I've been working on my costume.  This is a really difficult clue as to who (actually "what") I've decided to be.  Not fancy like some of the work here but I thought it came out well.

It's called the "Double Cross" and was awarded for saving the planet from Scammers.

It looks pretty great, but I am absolutely clueless about your costume 😄  🤔 🤨

My other print would normally be clue #2 but it would be a dead giveaway (for Americans anyway) so we'll skip to clue #3. 

I run on alcohol and my female pilot has a single eye.

Hi Kman,  You're not too far off as it's from the Cartoon comedy Futurama.  Bender Rodriguez the robot.

Gary Cooper said acting is all about the eyes so I put in a couple of sector gears driven by a lever on the side to rotate the eyes (I'm a better engineer than an artist).  This is my printed head of the "attentive" Bender.

1040427289_Bender1.thumb.png.155259f2223cf5b497b345af8d58ea74.png

Here is Bender feeling sorry for someone (usually himself).

2016966731_Bender2.thumb.png.894c82ecab48237376c844a543f838dd.png

And this is the crazed "kill all humans" Bender.

92820525_Bender3.thumb.png.2301282debd4869c69c695eac73f25b7.png

Ya gotta love a robot that runs on alcohol, burps flames, and smokes cigars.  Instead of a metal body I've been putting together a silver outfit.  I'm going for the "Bender meets James Bond" look.

BTW the two holes in the mustache position are what I look through.  There isn't an LED in the antenna (I thought about it) but it is printed with glow-in-the-dark filament so that's something.

First place is 1000 actual real American dollars.  I think I can give it a run this year if the suit is accepted in place of the tin can body which wouldn't allow me to sit.  This way I can just remove the head and I'm good.

• Like 4

I decided to make the LED antenna an option.  Yes, it will flash.

This is just random information...

Back a couple of decades ago I was investigating the cause of a fire in a CNC vertical mill.  The question arose as to whether the Gcode file being used had caused the fire.  I wrote a macro in AutoCAD to read the gcode into Model Space to create a representation of the movements.  When AHoeben released ArcWelder as a plugin I altered my code to include the G2 and G3 commands.

Since the antenna is essentially a flag pole (round everywhere) I was curious to compare the two visual representations.  I turned infill off for this since they are straight lines and would show up.

(BTW the regular antenna file was 12.5mb and the ArcWelded file was 1.5mb.)

This is the gcode representation of the antenna in Cura.

LEDAnt.thumb.png.14a42ceb77dfdd25fde5be70de06f550.png

This is the same Gcode file read into AutoCAD.  As a point of interest, the way I finally got the G2/G3 lines to translate was to draw construction lines based on the information in a G2/G3 line, make an arc between them, then delete the construction lines.  It was the only way I could figure out to make an arc CW vs CCW in AutoCAD.

LED_Ant_Acad.thumb.png.7acd974572a2bf28fb0583af3c4011ab.png

Back to the fire.  The company was cutting a large prototype die out of a composite plastic and since it was large they ran it overnite.  Never a good idea.  A huge amount of chips had collected around the workpiece and the cutter (50mm dia x 250mm long) wasn't long enough.  When it sank deep enough - the cutter shank rubbed on the plastic wall of the die causing the cutter to over-heat which then caused the chips to ignite.  The gcode had called for a tool change to a 300mm cutter but the company didn't have one and didn't want to pay for one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

So I won best costume although a lot of people had no idea who I was (you have to watch late night cartoons to be in the loop).

Is this a look or what?  I didn't have enough time to print the beer bottle.  I was constantly worried about it slipping out of my hand and smashing.

BenderPose.thumb.jpg.7b70fdb1c2767d33d832074d28dc9bdd.jpg

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 3

13 hours ago, GregValiant said:

a lot of people had no idea who I was

I hope you told them to bite your shiny ass...

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

Numerous times.  He's a foul mouthed robot after all.

I missed the target on the interior suspension of the helmet.  It kept slipping down and hitting me on the nose.  That made it tough to dance in.

It was hot too.  Maybe I should have put a fan in it but then it would need a battery pack and switch and things would quickly get complicated.

So you've broken the ice on Bender quotes.

#1 is indeed "Bite my shiny metal ass".

#2 is "Welp...we're boned."

My personal favorite is "I can't help it if I'm handsome and great at sex!"  I think it's cool that I've got a lot in common with a fictional cartoon robot.

Here is the DoubleCross on Thingiverse.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi, Haven't posted in a while but thought I would share my Barcelona door knocker scan print. I really liked the door knocker so...now I have a mini one! I made no attempt to reconstruct the damage to it or the scan result. ill add a patina and I think it may look awesome after. then ill clear coat it.

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.6fc78ec4a151220373094fe4d3554474.JPGIMG_0575.thumb.JPG.bba648dffbcc28b12a6f111236844a56.JPG

• Like 1