Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

evening guys :-)

As promised the building parts for the PLAY VERSION Ultirobot :-)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-play-kit-robot-ultirobot

I put some extra wholes in the back of the body to allow for some cool addons to be attached.. Also I am still thinking about the feet.. at the bottom they just slide forwards and backwards but thats not cool enough !.. will be thinking about a cooler foot mechanism... but here .... to get the ball rolling....

Ian :-)

Awesome thanks! Have you printed it yet? I am totally excited to see your last print, I literally today just received 3 spools of filament from ColorFab and one of them is White, the other two are Traffic Red and XT. I saw a lot of really nice finishes with the XT material so I figured I would give it a shot. I'm finally glad to have something at least tangible! The wait is killing me but, It will be all the sweeter when my UM2 does finally arrive in the mail I suppose.

Hi guys, thought I'd quickly post this here. The Werechihuahua was painted using a bronze / metal based paint, which reacts the same way real metal does to a patina, in this case, I used antique black.

Paint first, then paint or spray over with the patina, in a little while, the model will oxidize black. Normally, you could just buff it back to reveal the shiny bronze, but that would take more coats to ensure you dont rub back to the PLA, so in this case, I just dry brushed over the high points with more bronze paint.

Take a look here:

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

paint patina

Hey Aaron, can you post a link to the images you saw with XT?

Awesome thanks! Have you printed it yet? I am totally excited to see your last print, I literally today just received 3 spools of filament from ColorFab and one of them is White, the other two are Traffic Red and XT. I saw a lot of really nice finishes with the XT material so I figured I would give it a shot. I'm finally glad to have something at least tangible! The wait is killing me but, It will be all the sweeter when my UM2 does finally arrive in the mail I suppose.

Finished! The WereChihuahua

bronze final

Wow! Really nice! It looks extremely real, well I know it is a real object, but you know what I mean. Keep up the great work!

Yeah Barnacules is interesting indeed and certainly has a lot of toys (and resources!) to show off.

I'm starting to have some serious UM2 envy.

but it is really nice for all the people waiting for their ultimaker2s.. to know that the people that have already got them... click in their sd card with their designs... print and then BANG... magic in your hands.... :smile:

Cant believe how good the ultimaker2 is actually... :smile:

You guys are going to have so much fun when you get it !!

Ian :smile:

The colorfabb XT is....amazing !!! :-)

And no... the robot will be printed tonight.... I am going to print each part in a different material for fun.. Also going to print a baby version and the BIG MOMA version :-)

Then I can start on tweaking the design and adding cool addons.... :-)

@Ian - I can only applaud your professionalism. At this point, my question is - what software do you use to create and process the prints? It is unclear from the screen on the background of the picture.

Much appreciated.

Hello Shurik ! :-)

When I am in the office. they have Cinema4D, so i use that. Also when I want to build a nice building.. use archicad or revit... both are very good. When I go home.. I use Cinema4D or for product design Solidworks of course..

Im quite lucky that since I finished university as a product designer, I have been busy using design and building software every day of the week :-)

I think I would need a truck to transport my design portfolio now... from working with the design team for Landsdown Road Football Stadium in Dublin Ireland.. to the official BundesDruckerei in Berlin Germany.. to a handful of schools, hospitals and shops that I designed in solidworks for a steel fabrication company in Ireland :-)... and the list goes on... LOL ;-)

I hope to show case a lot more of my current projects here and how ultimaker helps me on a daily basis with those projects :-)

Some people wonder about accuracy, I'd say it's pretty good :) The gold piece, the mouth and left eye were sliced with cura 13.11.2 and the right eye with 14.1 so there's some difference there on the right. Just finished the print so I haven't had time to figure out why that is.

Either way, for scale the thinnest piece of the black mouth (it's a smiley btw) is 0.6mm. I shrunk the inlay with 0.1mm compared to the cutout and it fits real nice and tight.

accuracy test

hi

made this a while ago but only came around finishing and photographing it recently.

Showoff

its printed on an U1 in Orbitech 90 Pla, 0.6 layer height. Used a lot of filler spray and had to sand it for ages.

painted with tamiya spraypaint.

Looks great! I saw a video of someone sanding one of their models, yeah it looks like it takes forever, but your end result looks really nice. I was looking at some of your other photos, and truck looks really good also, it looks better than a model you would buy at a store.

thanks, the truck was my biggest comercial project so far. it was a bit easier to sand because i split the model in several parts so i could get everywhere.

This figure i made for my portfolio and it was printed in one part so some areas were really difficult to reach, if i should print it a second time i would print the tongue extra to make it more convenient.

You print at such a fine resolution, have you tried the acetone vapor technique to get a polished exterior without sanding? I've seen a few videos online, and if you have your setup right the results look great! There can be a small amount of fine detail lost if you leave a piece in too long, but that tongue guy looks like a really good candidate for the technique.

It was printed in PLA so it wouldnt work afaik. But my plan is to print the exact same model in ABS and then try the vapor treatment to have a comparison.

A few weeks ago i bought a heated bed on ebay, and the first testprints with ABS have been promising. Only the smell of the ABS and the fumes of the Acetone are a little bit off putting.

After repairing my Ultimaker (no thanks to non responsive UM helpdesk !), I was finally able to do some experimenting with a larger nozzle and Colorfab XT en Woodfill fine.

I drilled out my nozzle to 0.8mm, and had steps of 0.6mm high,

the feeder was turning as fast as I have ever seen :), but no problems with heating at that speed.

The Woodfill fine is just a really great material, prints fine with 0.4 nozzle, but gets an extra nice texture with a 0.8 nozzle.

IMG_1058.JPG

The XT is just beautiful to print, it has a great silvery sheen to it when holding in the light, this will be great when making lamp covers and stuff.

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

ZENO !! ahhh... now i have way to many ideas of what to print this weekend.... LOL.... HEHEHE

Ian ;-)

Great prints everyone!

@ Xeno, how did you attempt to contact us?

I am sorry if you did not get a reply, I am very glad you managed to solve it yourself.

Please let me know, via a PM if you prefer, how you tried to contact us and perhaps we can find where it went wrong.

Thank you for your time!

Hey Sander I sent you a PM

and another print with XT, made the part on this site:

http://shapeshifter.io/

and I was right that it would be great to make lamps, even if the led strip has separate lights the XT print makes it look line a continuous light bar :)

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

love it

love it

and love it !!

The surface looks really smooth, I'm very glad I ordered some XT, now I just need the printer :???: