Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

HEHE.. my best and most honest advise would be... be preapired to print.... crap for the first few times.. The ultimaker2 is a fantastic machine and easy to use !! but it just takes a little time to get a feeling for her... get your hands on her and learn the curves of her body.. then she will do anything you want !

Ian :-)

Well, this is certainly not my latest print, but definitely my longest/biggest print so far.

I printed these tools about 3 weeks ago and had many problems during the prints. You can't tell where the flaws are from the pics, but they are there. I was able to get these to finish in between babysitting it and sleeping.

This is the first prototype, which didn't have enough support for the machined rods. I accidentally dropped it and the fall broke the tiny supports. (The base is 6" x 6")

This is the second version, which is much stronger and I scaled it to take up the entire buildplate right around 8".

This print took 25 hours at 0.2 layers using transparent blue(Because it's my least favorite). 50+meters of material used!

(this print was an emotional rollercoaster....lol)

In the end it looks ok, but I had to shave off the outermost layers on every side because it did not adhere, creating a flimsy sheet of plastic. The carriage has 4 10mm linear bearings inside and a hand knob on the back to secure the carriage in place for grinding and buffing. In front of the carriage there are gears that interlock ever 45 degrees so the dremel can be multi-positional. The base has slots on the bottom for level, measuring tools, and clips to hold objects into place. This baby is super accurate and sturdy! On the top I made a cap to hold the wrench to change bits and a place to hold 8-10 bits.

***Oh, I forgot to mention that everything is printed except for the rods and hardware to put everything together. Right now I have printed 10mm bearings that work just fine until my real bearings arrive***

Great stuff!!!

I saw a few similar attemps on thingiverse which are in my opinion too weak, but your one is really nice.

The only thing now missing is a small vise or a nice x-y table :-)

Hope you will share the parts sometimes

Chrisp, I love that! Looks awesome. I thought about making something very similar... hmmm time to go buy my dremel.

Has anyone tried to print the treasure chest? I started it last night but had to stop it as I followed the advice to use 5% infill. This is wrong as it definitely needs at least 15% or more as far as I can see. I also tried it with brim which was a mistake, it will be better without any brim I feel. I was going to use 0.2 layer to speed things up a bit and will print in the ultimaker brass colour, so any layers showing won't look too out of place, but I wondered about how the hinges would print at this resolution. Any feedback guys?

Unfortunately I still need to work for a living :???: lol... for my Job I work in a company which produces high quality hardware for the construction / fenestration industry, mainly producing hardware for Window and Door systems throughout the world. My main role is working within the architectural hardware department designing such things as window and door handles, ergonomic shapes, letter boxes and full length multipoint door locks etc etc.... anyway...

This is a baseplate for a window handle that I have recently designed and it is my first real print attempt :mrgreen: As you can see, the base of it was a bit of a disaster and I almost aborted the print after just 15 minutes or so... but I left it to finish off to see what the end result would look like. Gotta learn somehow right?

• The rest of it turned out not too bad, finish is nice.
    • Printed at 80% speed which I am guessing is too fast ( Wish could print two at once, but at different speeds? ).
    • I don`t fully understand Cura yet and what it requires from me to help it design better structures.
    • Didnt realise how hard some of the structures were to get off. I need to buy some nice sharp craft knives and a dremel :)

• photo 1
      photo 2

Has anyone tried to print the treasure chest? I started it last night but had to stop it as I followed the advice to use 5% infill. This is wrong as it definitely needs at least 15% or more as far as I can see. I also tried it with brim which was a mistake, it will be better without any brim I feel. I was going to use 0.2 layer to speed things up a bit and will print in the ultimaker brass colour, so any layers showing won't look too out of place, but I wondered about how the hinges would print at this resolution. Any feedback guys?

We posted some details on the page, hope it helps!

We also included an image of a chest print with zero infill, it actually works right up till you get to the top.

I am not sure of the minimum hinge resolution,but I think layer thickness shouldn't interfere too much with it, its x/y thats more the limitation for the joint.

Love to see a picture of the design in a brass colour so I hope you get it working.

@skint and others

PLEASE STOP POSTING that you printed at "80% speed". This is useless information. USELESS. Sorry to get so emotional. Please please instead print the speed as mm/sec. So if in cura you specified 50mm/sec then instead of saying 80%, say 40mm/sec. Okay? If I don't know the speed in cura, knowing the percent is useless. You might as well say. "slower than I usually print" which is MUCH more informative than "80%".

Point taken gr5, but I only learnt this morning about the way cura and the speed percentages work... so quit being mr grumpy pants :p

Well, this is certainly not my latest print, but definitely my longest/biggest print so far.

I printed these tools about 3 weeks ago and had many problems during the prints. You can't tell where the flaws are from the pics, but they are there. I was able to get these to finish in between babysitting it and sleeping.

This is the first prototype, which didn't have enough support for the machined rods. I accidentally dropped it and the fall broke the tiny supports. (The base is 6" x 6")

This is the second version, which is much stronger and I scaled it to take up the entire buildplate right around 8".

This print took 25 hours at 0.2 layers using transparent blue(Because it's my least favorite). 50+meters of material used!

(this print was an emotional rollercoaster....lol)

In the end it looks ok, but I had to shave off the outermost layers on every side because it did not adhere, creating a flimsy sheet of plastic. The carriage has 4 10mm linear bearings inside and a hand knob on the back to secure the carriage in place for grinding and buffing. In front of the carriage there are gears that interlock ever 45 degrees so the dremel can be multi-positional. The base has slots on the bottom for level, measuring tools, and clips to hold objects into place. This baby is super accurate and sturdy! On the top I made a cap to hold the wrench to change bits and a place to hold 8-10 bits.

***Oh, I forgot to mention that everything is printed except for the rods and hardware to put everything together. Right now I have printed 10mm bearings that work just fine until my real bearings arrive***

Oh dude, I wanted to design the same thing 2 days ago. Do you share your model ?

Oh dude, I wanted to design the same thing 2 days ago. Do you share your model ?

Yeah same here. I even went out and spent £60 on a dremel today after seeing your design haha

@makingzone & skint

Most of my really good or useful designs I don't post or share, but this one I can definitely share. I would not recommend printing the 25 hour base, because there is a lot to lose.(time/filament/sanity)

The smaller 6" base is perfect, but I need to fix the stl file. Or I can just give you the 3dm file and you can modify as you see fit?

There are a total of 9 objects to print if I remember correctly. (Not including the linear printed bearings) which work quite nice!

I'll post this on youmagine when I get a chance.

thanks for the interest and compliments.

We posted some details on the page, hope it helps!

We also included an image of a chest print with zero infill, it actually works right up till you get to the top.

I am not sure of the minimum hinge resolution,but I think layer thickness shouldn't interfere too much with it, its x/y thats more the limitation for the joint.

Love to see a picture of the design in a brass colour so I hope you get it working.

The print failed because it has to print a small rectangular area on the inside of the end of the chest. There was not enough support to hold it and the print filaments ended up over 'air' so collapsed. It recovered fairly well but it left holes in the flat end area. I will try increasing infill to 10 or 15%.

Treasure chest fail

I will post a photo when I am successful!

The print failed because it has to print a small rectangular area on the inside of the end of the chest. There was not enough support to hold it and the print filaments ended up over 'air' so collapsed. It recovered fairly well but it left holes in the flat end area. I will try increasing infill to 10 or 15%.

Alternatively, you could increase the Bottom/Top Thickness so it would have more layers to eventually fill the final top layer:

Say your using a layer-height of 0,2. A Bottom/Top Thickness of 0,8 would mean creating 4 solid layers at a local highpoint of the print. The first layer wil sag and string severely, the second one would have little to build apon but more so than the first, same goes for the third and finaly you'd have to hope by the forth layer it will be solid and flawless. Increasing the Bottom/Top Thickness to 1,2 would give it 2 extra layers to even out the surface.

I've been amazed at how well some large tops of prints have been successful, even with 0% infill at times, by simply increasing the thickness of the top. (Pity you can only specify a value for both bottom and top and not separate, as this technique is usually only needed at the top, making bottoms unnecessarily heavy sometimes).

Alternatively, you could increase the Bottom/Top Thickness so it would have more layers to eventually fill the final top layer:

Excellent advice. I'm printing it already, but if this doesn't work I'll do what you suggest. I don't feel like cancelling the print again at the moment! Shame you can't adjust settings on the fly!

If you are seeing something that some people refer to as 'pillows', like the infill shows through the top layer of your print you indeed should increase the bottom top layer.

You can adjust quite a few settings on the fly like speed, temperature, flowrate, fanspeed and bed temp but you can not change the amount of infill halfway through your print. That would probably do more damage then good to your print anyway.

Final print done overnight, no problems. I've put some pics up. First two are the print straight off the 'press', no cleaning or sanding, hinge worked straight away.

The next four are after very minor tidying up and some filing on the chest top edges to get the lid to sit fully down. The filament is Ultimaker brass used at t225 and a bed temp of t75. Glued baseplate, and there was no trouble with the print lifting or distorting. I finished off the print with mineral oil which gives a great finish to the brass colour. In real life the colour is slightly darker and more brass like than the last four pics show.

IMG 0253

IMG 0004

IMG 0261

IMG 0260

IMG 0259

IMG 0258

Yarrrr, liket it!

How did you finish the print with mineral oil (what kind?). I also have brass PLA and don't like the color at all. But the last four pics do look really nice. So far the only thing I printed with it looks like this (it is very dark IRL):

Nice job truckle !

Looks fantastic!

Really cool to see my model like that :)

Is that full size?

I quite like the idea of getting into sculpting, clay sculptping none of this digital stuff :p So I had these sculpting tools rattling about on my desk for a while... I decided to make this little stand for them as a speed test. Printed at 70mm/s at 220. These little bits shot of the printer... i though the printer head would shoot off at some point too lol.

Parts1

photo 1

Hmm maybe i should of put some c/s holes in the base and screwed it to the wall. Looks like a medieval weapon :p

photo 1 (1)

Print is full size, i used 0.2 layers to save time and thought I'd do a longer 0.1 layer print later but I don't think I have to now, I'm quite happy with the results at this resolution. It's the first print I've made with the brass colour. It is a little darker than the first print pics show, like brass that needs a clean! It's difficult to show the correct colour on screen but definitely lighter than the dinosaur print, Nicolinux.

The mineral oil I got from Ikea and they use it for oiling chopping boards, so I figured it must be food safe and would suit pla, it's only the second time I've tried it. I just rubbed it all over and dried with tissues. Surface end up nicely glistening but not greasy. The only problem would be that I cannot paint over it now with my acrylic paints (I was considering painting up the studs and getting an aged rusty effect, but maybe another time).

IMG 0262